Hairdressing - a new career?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb379

Reaction score
Hi there

How many of you have gone into hairdressing after doing something else like having kids, or change of career? If you have, have you found it to be a rewarding career re personal satisfaction and money? Is there any money to be made in hairdressing?

Regards
Deb379

Ooh the other thing I meant to say was, how many of you have just done mens hair and been satisfied with that?

My local college does a course for barbering and I've noticed most colleges only offer courses that cover men and womens.

Deb379

My best friend went to college when her youngest was 6 and did barbering. She worked at a barbers for a year and now owns her own business and loves it x

i start college in spetember to start my hairdressing course, my boys are now 12 10 and 8 and the course fits in within school hours, although the 2 youngest will go to after school club.
i am really looking forward to it as its only 3 days a week so i can carry on with nails too

It is really cool to see you guys extending your career.

Yes there is money to be made in hair. Just mens hair? yes. It has become a new rage here to open salons..not barber shops..for men only. You decorate it in sports, hunting..guy stuff.

LOL...there is even a salon i think it is in nevada that does mens hair only and the stylist dress in ..uh...practically nothing. highheels, net stockings, baby doll outfits..then of course there are the bikini cut salons..
To me, that is just asking for hair infections..can you imagine? going home and having hair all over your body..ewwww.

Yeah we had a salon open like that in Blackpool but I don't know if it is still going!!! Imagine the type of clientelle you would get!!! NASTY.

I think there is money to be made in hairdressing but only if you open your own salon, go self employed or are prepared to work long hard hours. Its a tough career and not to be entered into thinking its all chatting and glamour.

Its NOT!!!!!! LOL

Hi

That's funny as my sister suggested a themed week (nothing tacky though) for hairdressing shop.

I should imagine that men's hair is easier, and quicker to do than women's?

I shall definitely look into the barber course as I've been cutting family hair for years and not been trained but my husband always wants me to get the clippers at the back and sides, but I decline. I can do horses with clippers but always feel a bit nervous doing his (made a boo boo once!) If I do this course I'll get plenty of practice i suspect.

Deb379

Lol cutting a horse and cutting humans are totally different as thinking that grooming a dog is the same as cutting a humans hair..

Mens hair is quick..... usually! there can be some really fussy ones out there. Then as the guys get older , you start coloring their hair to cover thier natural highlights :wink2:

hi im 22 have 2 young children and im starting college in september im doing beauty for 1 year then going to do hair mens and womens i cant wait

im 48 just finished hairdressing at college have my own salon as i have been doing nails and beauty for x amount of years and am enjoying live i have more confidence now than i had in my younger years i have support from my family and would recommend to anyone do anything that you are interested in no matter what your age i really believe confidence grows with age and lifes experiences aide you along the way

My wife started hairdressing as a Junior when she was 27 after having worked at a range of jobs from chambermaid and kitchen assistant to film processing and brokerage. Nine years later and she has her own very successful salon and is qualified to NVQ 3 and as an Assessor. She absolutely loves the work which has been financially rewarding and highly satisfying. She has absolutely no regrets about her career.

But she's had to work very hard to get where she is. I doubt that there are any successful hairdressers who haven't had to work hard. You have to have a passion and to be totally commited. The days can be long and sometimes frustrating. There are highs and lows. But if you're prepared to make the effort you will be rewarded by working in a profession that is known to be the most satisfying and enjoyable of all.

I've held my license half of my life, grew up in the industry and can't think of anything I'd rather do. I've thought about it...we almost relocated to a different state (I'd have been a neighbor to JD's) and I considered going back to school or getting a different career but couldn't think of anything that interested me.

There are so many different opportunities when you are comfortable with all aspects of the industry, hair, skin or nails that your future is unlimited. When you get "bored" with it, there is always something different to do, not to mention the social aspect, ever changing fashion, updated chemistry and flexible scheduling.

Hi
talking about barbering I went to a salon uniform shop one day to buy a uniform :
not too low, not to short, not to tight.
the girl standing next too me with her boyfriend explained that they wanted the exact opposite , He said "really tight,really low, and really skimpy ".
I must have looked puzzled:confused: ?
because the boy friend smiled and said to me " oh she works in a barbers and she earns a heck of a lot more tips that way " :eek:
They were really serious about it all.
Oh really ? mmmm Certainly was giving me food for thought:idea:
but then I thought nope personally just couldn't stand the hairy cleavage or the men staring at my face :green:

Hi there

Sad isn't it that that sort of attitude is still about, and i have to agree about hair getting everywhere. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing it would you?

Someone I know said his friend had a topless barbers - gross!

Deb379

i have done it the other way round , did hair first , got bored then did beauty :lol: but now coz i am going to canada and will have to re do exams and stuff i want to do a refresher course , i still remember a lot of stuff but aint up to date with all the modern stuff that has come , into hairdressing in the last few years :lol:

Latest posts

Back