Hairdressing apprentice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek425

Reaction score
A long story hope it doesn't bore anyone

We have had a apprentice for around 3 months (she started off being saturday girl) she has been continuously late. Had 3 days off sick. missed college twice. The latest reason for being 30 mins late is wait for it ' I ran out of sanitary towels' I was in disbelief, salon is next door to Boots for heavens sake. I've also had a text one saturday morning saying she is stuck 60 miles away and doesn't know what to do, she then arrives 3 hours late!!!! She has had 2 warning's now, I've spoken to her mum numerous time's about the issue's. Then yesterday her auntie comes in the salon after the apprentice is already 1 hour late saying that she has been rushed to hospital with suspected overdose, find out she took 8 paracetamol and has been signed off for 1 week as she is not apparently mentally stable to work. Going to phone NHF MONDAY to see where I stand and if I can give a third and last warning. Don't want to do it as this girl is great when she is actually in the salon a real natural but she clearly has a lot of issue's. lot's of other little things too but wont bore you with detail. What would others do in this situation any advice would be greatly received?

I wouldn't give her a warning about sickness due to two reasons, legally she is not fit to work if you take action against this when she is signed off then your out of order, if you fired her off the back off this she can legally take action - just sayin. Also approach her carefully she's tried to kill her self, the last thing you want is her turning the blame back onto you use to stress etc or her going off sick with more stress then you can't take anything against that if she is declared not fit to work. I'm not saying this to be bitchy just for your protection :) xxx

Contact ACAS for the correct advice about what you can and can't do. It's free, so give them a call (expect to be on hold for a while though) but they're excellent. They will let you know what's legal/expected/ not allowed!

It's difficult as you find she's naturally talented, but if she's never there she's not much use to you.

Sounds like the poor girl needs a bit of time off and to sort through some issues, but not helpful if you're a small business and you need her to be there.

Why wait until Monday I am with N.H.F and sure it's legal advice it 24/7 good luck, been there done that got the t shirt several times...

Latest posts

Back