Hairdressing charges in care homes comparisons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jussy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im in a tiz about how much to charge people in the different nursing and care homes for people with mental illnesses. Does anyone on here offer this service and if so, what do you charge please! Im in Manchester btw!

Although a shame someone's ill & is in a home.. you're still performing the same service, taking the same amount of time so I'd charge the same as whatever you normally charge. I don't offer this service so I don't know what the done thing is but that's just me [emoji51]

Although a shame someone's ill & is in a home.. you're still performing the same service, taking the same amount of time so I'd charge the same as whatever you normally charge. I don't offer this service so I don't know what the done thing is but that's just me [emoji51]
Thanks for that, I'd love to charge the same but some are government funded and haven't much money. The good thing about working in these places is there's no rent or rates and bills however, the down side is, no passing trade, a lot die and they are very very hard work, often aggressive and move everywhere or sit so awkwardly I often wonder how the hell I got each cut to look ok!! It's not possible to charge current rates because I know nobody else does but nobody I call is willing to say!! It's all secret!!!! Ridiculous really but I was hoping on here, someone might be open and want to know the same!! Xx

I do a care home once a week for a morning and charge a little less for them. X

I do a care home once a week for a morning and charge a little less for them. X
Thanks Claire X can I ask how much you charge for a s/set cut and set, perming X I know people charge differently in affluent and less affluent areas but I have a mixture of areas and I can't get the homes to agree much of the time xx

Thanks Claire X can I ask how much you charge for a s/set cut and set, perming X I know people charge differently in affluent and less affluent areas but I have a mixture of areas and I can't get the homes to agree much of the time xx
I've been trying to raise the prices since the last hairdresser left but it's hard telling these managers what is fair prices the last hairdresser left me with the minimum. It I've managed to ask £13.50 S/b and S/s and ridiculously £16.50 for shampoo cut and set/b? It's crazy considering what I have to do to get them to my room and what I have to put up with in the chair!! I get very little help at the "rich " place but I end up doing it to save the arguments with the arse staff!

W/cut / set £15
W/set £13
And perm I charge £40

It is hard work. I find you have to be firm with the Homes or I find they walk all over you :) xx

I totally agree Clair, I've fiubd that out over the past 4 years.. A favour today is your duty tomorrow attitude with them. Where are you from as it does make a difference? I will put my charges up to £40 on perms because the c/b are included with that anyway and I always use DULCIA rather than acclaim.. Which are good but they take longer to process!! I will try and charge £18.50 for shampoo C/B C/set and £try for £15 for a S/b/set. Barbering I'll put up to £10 so only 50p more. They have to take in to account our wholesalers, insurance companies and accountants, fuel stations etc, don't give us discount because our clients are OAP's or mentally ill... They have no idea!!!

My friend works in the same sort of environment and she charges the same as Claire above, your not supposed to shampoo as far as I'm aware I thought the nurses had to do it? It's a very hard job I know but I bet you've got lots of funny stories out of it

Hi surf girl and thank you for your reply xx it depends on how capable these people are and how compliant they are too because it can depend on what mood they are in on the day! Nursing care tends to be shampooed prior whereas just care I can and often do myself... It can be very taxing on your patience and unlike the staff, we aren't paid by the hour so time is money and in one place, they expect me to move the majority myself which I'm not supposed to do but telling them gets me nowhere. However, some days they're hilarious and say things you really wouldn't expect from people their age!! Some I do, are ex prostitutes now into their 90's... Now that's an education they just say out loud! And leave me drop jawed!!! Long term memory is brilliant and very interesting when they talk about the war, rations, what they remember being a child... They can be really funny though x

We do an independent living accommodation for over 60's
We actually do have concession prices which are roughly 15% lower than our salon prices
It is a big discount, but they keep coming and most of them are weekly blowdrys or sets, so it is worth it as they then start to have other services done such as colour and perms and even purchase products!

My friend works in ine and she charges
Gents £5
Cut and Blowdry £10
Blowdry/set £10
Perm £30

I thanks for your help with this one for me, I've noticed the charges are very varied and also relative to where we all live too. In a salon here in Cheshire,the average price for C/B is between £35 & £45,there are two private homes I work in,one is more affluent than the other, the problem I'm having is pricing fairly for all of us. At the moment I charge £16.50 for a shampoo C/B and £13.50 for a shampoo C/b/set.. that works out I'm cutting ladies hair for £3 and their wealthy families always kick up a fuss when I've tried to raise the price on this!! I'd love to get tips (but I don't) , I'd love my hair supplies to give me discount for doing oap's... and the fuel station... what is a realistic price in your opinions please xxxx bearing in mind also, I'm also expected to walk them back and too myself which I know I shouldn't be doing but I get little help or huffs and puffs when I ask anyone to help me with this so more time lost doing what is not my job or what I'm legally not allowed to do despite constantly telling them

I thanks for your help with this one for me, I've noticed the charges are very varied and also relative to where we all live too. In a salon here in Cheshire,the average price for C/B is between £35 & £45,there are two private homes I work in,one is more affluent than the other, the problem I'm having is pricing fairly for all of us. At the moment I charge £16.50 for a shampoo C/B and £13.50 for a shampoo C/b/set.. that works out I'm cutting ladies hair for £3 and their wealthy families always kick up a fuss when I've tried to raise the price on this!! I'd love to get tips (but I don't) , I'd love my hair supplies to give me discount for doing oap's... and the fuel station... what is a realistic price in your opinions please xxxx bearing in mind also, I'm also expected to walk them back and too myself which I know I shouldn't be doing but I get little help or huffs and puffs when I ask anyone to help me with this so more time lost doing what is not my job or what I'm legally not allowed to do despite constantly telling them
I think you need to have a word with management there, and explain that the prices are extremely low in comparison to the average price of the service you're providing, and explain that you have to increase the prices, you could easily put the price of a wash cut and bloody up to £20 especially if you're confident that the service you're providing is as good as others who are charging £35!! I'd also put your foot down with taking clients too and from their rooms ect, if they or you have an accident whilst trying to maneuver them about, your insurance wouldn't cover you for that, and I highly doubt they'res would, as you are not employed in that field, nor a qualified carer (I assume) . As for families complaining of the price ignore them!! If they're not happy with the price, let them try and find someone cheaper, and see if they're happy with the service they provide! No matter what the cost if they prefer you and the service you give they will come back to you!!! Hope this helps a bit more :p

Thank you so much for that info xx you are right, I am not qualified or insured to handle or manovre these people. It ii have complained and explained to the actual owner but still fallen on deaf ears! They have offered to train me in this but that would mean only one thing... I'll be expected to do it- which takes a lot of time out of my day.. time is money!! Money they don't like parting with!! CQC would go mad if they knew! Xx I know I'm not the best.. I'm certainly not the worst and outside of this place I have no complaints whatsoever! They don't seem to get it when their relatives hair doesn't last because they go back to bed all day or they dampen it down when they go to the loo or they continuously have their hands all over their heads and so on! I have advised hair nets but the night staff have never used the ones they bought!! Just bone bloody idol!

Latest posts

Back