hairdressing course. round layers help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
so we were doing round layers using the Tony & Guy method. Mine (and several people's by the way) went wrong when we cut into the perimiter, near the ears. TBH the teacher made me feel useless. I never finished it, she told me to start again with a shorter cut. It happened again. I haven't finished that one either, I gave up on it, I have a spare block.

Today I got the Tony & Guy Classic Cuts 2 DVD from the library. I watched the round layers, and THE CUT ON THERE GOES SHORTER WHEN THEY GET TO THE EARS!

I think I cut the hair right for a round layer, but they are trying to get us to cut a bob with layers, by teaching us the round layer!

Does anyone understand what I'm saying? I actually feel really angry, we've just been landed with a new teacher, and she singled me out, I felt like a bloody idiot, and now I watch the video, and it doesn't look like I did it wrong:mad:

I tried to explain to the teacher that as the hairline gets higher, if you do the same cut, the perimiter will obviously get shorter.

Please someone, tell me if I'm being an idiot, does/did anyone else have this? When you've done the back of a bob with round layers, how do you match the sides in without the perimiter getting shorter?

Hi Ditzy , it sounds like you have it right yourself especially if you have the dvds,
and if I discuss it with you I will totally complicate it for you even further, lol x

so I will leave it to someone else who can explain in a good clear methodical way
must admit though sounds like your teacher isn't a very good teacher , she should have more patience with her students.

All the others were probably wondering what the heck she was going on about too :eek: ask her to draw diagram of the whole thing for you on the board :hug: x

now i aint good at explaining stuff so i wont even try , lol but..

i would go to the head of deptartment and tell them shes confusing you hun , :hug:

if you have the dvd and you know you are right then stick to your guns , hth xxxx

Yes, and well yes. I understand you and when you do round layers you typically end up following the perimeter hairline unless you make special consideration for it.

What she may have been trying to do was to cut the bob perimeter, all at one solid form, then at the turn of the head- parietal & occipital use a small section for the guide following the technique for round layers. The result is a layered bob.

If you follow the round layer exactly, you will end up with a short area just behind and above the ears. The only way to adapt this is to make allowance for the ear, leave the hair longer or overdirect your section.

This would be much easier to explain in person, but I doubt you'll fly me over for a class, so if you need more help, feel free to pm me.

This would be much easier to explain in person, but I doubt you'll fly me over for a class, so if you need more help, feel free to pm me.

You can stay at my house Jen lol x :hug:

dunno about you comin here but i might fly over your way when we move to canada :lol:,

Thanks for the replies guys. We have a different tutor for theory, and once a month she gives us an extra practical class, I spoke to her last week and she's going to go over it with me next time.

I have a spare training head and practised at the weekend, it looked much better, but I still need the extra input from that tutor. My problem is, I expect to be able to do things straight away (which not being big headed, but I usually pick things up really quickly), and I will not be happy until I can do it perfectly!

(May pop over to Idaho for a one to one though :green:)

:hug:

Thanks for the replies guys. We have a different tutor for theory, and once a month she gives us an extra practical class, I spoke to her last week and she's going to go over it with me next time.

I have a spare training head and practised at the weekend, it looked much better, but I still need the extra input from that tutor. My problem is, I expect to be able to do things straight away (which not being big headed, but I usually pick things up really quickly), and I will not be happy until I can do it perfectly!

(May pop over to Idaho for a one to one though :green:)

:hug:

dunno about you comin here but i might fly over your way when we move to canada :lol:,
All are welcome, need at least a few days notice...

Latest posts

Back