Hairdressing from a garden cabin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amesy2984

Reaction score
Hey!!!
So I’ve got a large cabin in my garden, approx 20ft from my house and is perfect for me to do hair from now my kids will both be in school come September!
So I keep trying to look up what I need to do or who to notify but am getting no where fast!
I will inform my council, and Home insurance of coarse... but what else?
I want to get water taken down to my cabin , do I need permission for this? Can anyone who has done this please help I don’t want to get in trouble!
My cabin doesn’t have radiator or anything but is fine in winter with small heater so water is all that’s holding me back I think , but waste water , need advice on this too!!

Sounds a great idea.

First, check with your council for permission, as you need to ensure there are no planning restrictions in place. Do this before investing any money into doing up the cabin, just in case. All councils vary, so there’s no hard and fast rules.
Also, if you have a mortgage, you might need their permission so check with your lender or landlord, if you rent.
Electricity supply to the cabin (must be done by a qualified electrician).
Ask a plumber for advice regarding water supply and drainage.
Will you use existing supply of hot water from the house for the basin or will you fit a small electric shower unit?
If clients will be entering your house to get through to the back garden or if they’re using your toilet facilities in the house, this might affect your home insurance. You also need to think about purchasing public liability insurance, although this should be pretty straightforward.

That’s probably enough to be dealing with, for now. Best of luck with your new venture.

We have a side entrance so they will come round the side and yes will let insurance and mortgage company know. Had a Plummer our Saturday and he said we can run pipes under the patio but he suggested drainage to be into a large water butt and then we empty down our waste drain, which is ok for us as I will only be doing 1 client at a time but don’t know how that works in respect to it being the right thing to do and I don’t know who I would need to ask?
We have electricity down there already, they are double glazed and secure rooms so literally just need water down there I’m just so unsure of what’s the right way to do it and who to contact x

We have a side entrance so they will come round the side and yes will let insurance and mortgage company know. Had a Plummer our Saturday and he said we can run pipes under the patio but he suggested drainage to be into a large water butt and then we empty down our waste drain, which is ok for us as I will only be doing 1 client at a time but don’t know how that works in respect to it being the right thing to do and I don’t know who I would need to ask?
We have electricity down there already, they are double glazed and secure rooms so literally just need water down there I’m just so unsure of what’s the right way to do it and who to contact x
I was advised exactly the same regarding waste water. We haven't yet connected the water but have a small water heater fitted in my summerhouse ready ☺️

I no a girl who's been using one 10 years and nothings ever been said

Latest posts

Back