Halal meat-worse than the Tesco horse thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
??? Bizarre.
As far as I'm aware in 2013 you can
Choose whether you want to eat food.

If you do your research you'd pick your food wisely.

If you buy rubbish meat from a supermarket then you takes your chance.

Not sure why you're turning this into a racist thing

I know some people are still typing there posts whilst others appear, so maybe miss the point another geek is making.

I don't think there is anything racist meant here, and it is more about the fact that people unwittingly are eating something, be it horse, halal or sawdust when they think it is something else.
Some people whether they live in inner cities or are on a limited budget don't have a choice but to buy from a supermarket or low cost frozen food store and yet again they are the ones who get a raw deal, and are being duped by the big supermarket corporate bigwigs.

You are right. Super markets SHOULD label their food properly. But you chose to continue to line their pockets. If you are that annoyed then take your money elsewhere. Otherwise they wont listen. Hit them where it hurts. In their pockets

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

I know some people are still typing there posts whilst others appear, so maybe miss the point another geek is making.

I don't think there is anything racist meant here, and it is more about the fact that people unwittingly are eating something, be it horse, halal or sawdust when they think it is something else.
Some people whether they live in inner cities or are on a limited budget don't have a choice but to buy from a supermarket or low cost frozen food store and yet again they are the ones who get a raw deal, and are being duped by the big supermarket corporate bigwigs.

That is what I said but it is cheaper to eat local, good quality food then Iceland special

You are right. Super markets SHOULD label their food properly. But you chose to continue to line their pockets. If you are that annoyed then take your money elsewhere. Otherwise they wont listen. Hit them where it hurts. In their pockets

This is actually very good advice, thanks.

Tbh I think that this quote "Freedom? Since when english/ christian people eat halal meat?" actually changed the tone of the thread...it was short and sharp and enough to make an impact.

It doesn't matter what your religion or ethnic background is we all want to know what we're eating...and we all want that FREEDOM of choice.

Tbh I think that this quote "Freedom? Since when english/ christian people eat halal meat?" actually changed the tone of the thread...it was short and sharp and enough to make an impact.

It doesn't matter what your religion or ethnic background is we all want to know what we're eating...and we all want that FREEDOM of choice.

That was my answer KayaPapaya when she said :
I don't understand?
You're not forced to eat anything are you? Freedom of choice?

In a way we are forced, there are no labels and supermarkets are not open about selling halal meat.

I still don't know why you felt the need to say English Christians though?

You do not need meat to live.
You do not have to buy meat.
You do not need to shop in supermarkets.

You choose.

You are saying you're forced to buy things. I'm saying you have the choice. You do not have to buy any thing you don't want.

Does anyone remember the big scare in 1985 when anti freeze was found in German wines...now that was scary considering the amount of Liebfraumilch I put away in the 80's :eek:

This is actually very good advice, thanks.

I know I sound a bit Preachy but I admit I did think that you were making sweeping generalisation about race. But like another poster said, you were posting at the same time as me. Here is an example of my weekly delivery.

Roasting Joint/chicken
Lamb shoulder or pork chops
Minced beef
Stewing steak.
Sausages

A selection of eight-ten types of seasonal veg

Potatoes (baking and new)
Small box of fruit.

This costs me £40 a week.

I bulk meals out with lentils and order a gammon joint from the local butcher. I have a 'cook one freeze one" policy. I also have a fish man in town and get fruit and veg from my farmers market.
I confess to getting value baked beans and tinned toms lol
On average my food bill is £60 a week. When we were doing tesco it was costing me £120 at least.
My children love it and I have lost weight and feel so healthy. Just takes forward planning and a nicely stocked herb rack .

I know I sound a bit Preachy but I admit I did think that you were making sweeping generalisation about race. But like another poster said, you were posting at the same time as me. Here is an example of my weekly delivery.

Roasting Joint/chicken
Lamb shoulder or pork chops
Minced beef
Stewing steak.
Sausages

A selection of eight-ten types of seasonal veg

Potatoes (baking and new)
Small box of fruit.

This costs me £40 a week.

I bulk meals out with lentils and order a gammon joint from the local butcher. I have a 'cook one freeze one" policy. I also have a fish man in town and get fruit and veg from my farmers market.
I confess to getting value baked beans and tinned toms lol
On average my food bill is £60 a week. When we were doing tesco it was costing me £120 at least.
My children love it and I have lost weight and feel so healthy. Just takes forward planning and a nicely stocked herb rack .

Can I come live with you...I'm very tidy and won't take up much room :)

Butchers is MUCH cheaper than supermarket rubbish! I just don't understand why people say it's expensive as Nearlyme has just said it's cheaper for her. Also I don't think Bellalashes was being 'racist' just giving her opinion.

Does anyone remember the big scare in 1985 when anti freeze was found in German wines...now that was scary considering the amount of Liebfraumilch I put away in the 80's :eek:

Wonder what was in the Blue nun , used to make me sing...badly.

Can I come live with you...I'm very tidy and won't take up much room :)

It is the way I was bought up. My mum is the same. I fell in to bad food habits and was feeding my kids rubbish then my mum pulled me up on it. The kids love making chicken nuggets with me.
Chicken breasts cut in to chunks
Dip in to raw egg
Coat In bread crumbs. (Two slices of stale bread with a bit of lemon zest or dried mixed herbs)

Chuck in the oven and serve with home made potato wedges.
Potatoes cut in to wedges
Place on tray with olive oil

20 mins with a tin of mushy peas.

Works great with cod too

Wonder what was in the Blue nun , used to make me sing...badly.

That's the very one...I somehow suspected you would know exactly what I was talking about :wink2:

If your curious as to how much cheaper it is to live without using supermarkets - this is a great blog here where the family of 3 live on less than £50 a week (they have weeks they have shown it can be done for £25 though too) while not using any supermarkets and supporting their local suppliers be it markets or farm shops :D

That's the very one...I somehow suspected you would know exactly what I was talking about :wink2:

Lol, the only nun I ever liked.:D

If your curious as to how much cheaper it is to live without using supermarkets - this is a great blog here where the family of 3 live on less than £50 a week (they have weeks they have shown it can be done for £25 though too) while not using any supermarkets and supporting their local suppliers be it markets or farm shops :D

I love this. Thank you so much. Am off to see if I can do it for £30.

I used to work in a high school, all the meat for the school dinners was halal, I objected to this as I don't agree on how the animals are killed. There was not a non halal alternative, whether it was chicken curry, cottage pie, turkey for Christmas dinner, everything was halal. I would not have been happy if my child went to that school.

I just want to point out a few things on here. I'm British welsh through and through. My family can be traced back 200 years in Wales and 100 in England, I think that would make me more British than queen lizzie herself, and I'm not Christian. This isn't a place I want to point out my religious beliefs, as they are my own and private beliefs, but there is nothing wrong in my religion with eating meat of any kind from any other religious background yet I choose to only eat chicken.
It's not British to eat meat or be Christian, it's British to drink tea, talk about the weather and have bbq's in the rain.
Christianity isn't even traditionally British, if you really want to lonesome background then you would know that Wicca and paganism are much older than the trees around you in this country.
If meat is brought into my home it must be purchased by myself, it may be rude to throw food away when it's brought for a BBQ but all guests are told not to bring any meats, and if they do then out it goes. They can keep it in their car or in the front garden but it will never touch my fridge or work tops. I source all meats from a butcher who has been established in my area for over 100 years who sources his meat from a farm less than a mile from his shop, I call a week in advance if I need burgers so that they can make enough for me and their other customers. For around £15 I can get 40 burgers made from steaks, 20 sausages and 4 chicken breasts, please beat fresher and cheaper (own brand supermarket does not count, it's mostly bone and grizzle)

There is no politics, no reasons of income or affordability and no reasons for location that can be used as an excuse. Even the deepest parts of cities have butchers and grocers who source from the localist areas they can and most beat supermarket prices by far as well as being fresher.

Britain is about choice, equality and fairness. Agreed that labelling should be better, and separate sections made, but please don't assume a Muslim is only one type of person, it's a religion, which can be followed by white people, black people, mixed race, Asian or even purple and green polka dotted hippy rockers if they choose. X

Latest posts

Back