Hamster help !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHands

Reaction score
I know this is not nail related ... BUT I NEED HELP... and quick..

My friend has left me in charge of her kids pets. two very cute little dwarf hamsters:irked:

Ok I bring them home after school yesturday 3.30 pm
I play with them 4.30 pm
I go out and leave the kids garding them 6.30 pm
I return and all is well 11.30 pm
I go to bed 12.pm
Wake up 7 am

And guess what... NO THEY ARE NOT DEAD !!! its worse than that..

The litlle F*******s have escaped:eek::eek:

We have managed to find one behind the fridge but as for the other one:irked:

I have one week to find this little sod before her kids get back of holiday, I have had them less than 24hrs OMG !!!!!

Any advice on how to catch or even find a dwarf hamster would be greatly loved..
And I forgot to say... I have a german shepard (banished to the hall untill rat found and a cat banished to the bedroom:eek::eek:)

WHY ME !!!!!

As they are mostly active at night, the best thing to do is to get down on your hands and knees this evening and listen for scuffling sounds.
Good luck:)

Get a bucket or bin with no netting - solid plastic. Make sure its dark in colour.
Make a ramp with anything long enough that the hamster could climb up. old toy, kitchen roll, make sure its strong enough to hold its weight (they dont weigh much anyway).
Place bits of bread or cheese up the ramp and thenchuck a load in the bottom of the bucket/bin.
Leave out overnight and hopefully you will catch the rat lol

Ami

Go and buy another one that looks the same:).
They do usually reappear although we did lose one never to be seen again.I'd just be a bit worried the cat didn't get it first though.

I'm so sorry hun, but this really made me laugh! My hamster escaped when I was a kid. Have you looked in every nook and cranny? Found mine behind the loo. It's probably really scared and hiding somewhere cosy. Remember they can squeeze through really tiny gaps.

If you have to get a new one don't forget to check the sex. The owners may get suspicious if they have hundreds of the little blighters in a few weeks!

Hey Sals, I'm surprised you didn't suggest ripping your top off and running around the set of Top Gear to catch a Hamster?

Hey Sals, I'm surprised you didn't suggest ripping your top off and running around the set of Top Gear to catch a Hamster?

:lol: If I did that the only thing I'd catch would be a cold and two black eyes!

just a word of warning....my dads hamster escaped and it chewed there telephone wire and ariel......so keep checking them!!xxx

Hamsters ADORE sweetcorn (usually), mine all did, but use whatever you know they love. Rub the vegetable on the floor/carpet, not enough to spread it lol but enough to leave a smell, then use this method to create a trail leading to a bucket, rub the smell up the bucket, make a little ladder with plastic trellis or something similar, rub the smell on this also, then rub the smell inside the bucket and leave treat at the bottom of the bucket. I PROMISE he will be in the bucket next morning. God I hope so for your sake lol!

This happened to me once,i used to have loads of hamsters,one of them had some babes that were about two weeks old,wot sort of mother was she, she upt and left them some how one night.We were living in a masonette at the time upstairs,the lady below the next day knocked on our door with our hamster in a box,saying she found her behind her fridge.

Id definatly leave food scattered round the place,my hamsters used to always respond to their names if i called them too.Good luck let us know if he turns up bless him,i love hamsters im sure i should of been the hamster whisperer...lol..people used to hand me over theyre hamsters as they kept bitting them...not with me they didnt,i soon tamed them.

just a word of warning....my dads hamster escaped and it chewed there telephone wire and ariel......so keep checking them!!xxx
Ive also heard of an escaped hamster getting down the back of the sofa,and chewed it to bits..oops..

OMG This is gonna sound really bad:irked::irked:

I don,t know what sex they are
I don,t know their names,
I don,t even know what they look like.. they were asleep when I got them here last night.

And its not the cat I,m worried about its the friggin dog:eek: She had the look of "opps got caught again" on her face when I came down this morning

Oh dear! If you take the remaining one to a pet shop they should be able to sex it for you.

Try not to panic. The bucket idea sounds like the best plan. Good luck!

Ok....:lol: (really sorry, but quietly giggling to myself here... lol lol lol)

Do you have holes around your radiator pipes? A little dwarf would get down there no problem - if this is where it is, in a day or so you will see it looking back up at you from down there if you drop some food down, just a little though - dont wanna end up attracting mice!!

Where were they in the house when they escaped? - if its downstairs then its unlikely it will be upstairs.

Look for signs of nibbling..

I hate to say it.... but look out for remains....a cat AND a dog is more than enough lol, poor little thing!! eeek!

in general, just look EVERYWHERE, pull out cupboards - the fridge & freezer, cooker, airing cupboard - anywhere warm really!

Good luck! if all else fails, all you can do is own up - or buy another one! Try and get the kids to tell you what the other one looked like! xxx

The good news is.... IT IS ALIVE

The bad news is the little sod is smarter than us..lol

We left 2 little bits of corn in a trap (one of the nice ones, don,t want to chop it in half:eek: alothough the way I feel about it and with trusty axe in hand) It ate the corn but was not trapped:irked:

Will try again later.. Also we had no lekki this morning:eek: so it has started to chew something (hope it has not cooked itself)

Am going to try the bucket jobby today and hopefully that will work,

I have fridge freezer and all cupboards in the middle of rooms... my poor house looks like its been burgeled..

Gone on you can all laugh:lol::lol:

:green::green::green:
awwwww I feel for you hun...but hahahahahaha...
I bet the little sod is having a right laugh at you watching you all from somewhere secret and warm !

:green::green::green:
awwwww I feel for you hun...but hahahahahaha...
I bet the little sod is having a right laugh at you watching you all from somewhere secret and warm !

yeah i bet he is in the middle of the room between all the cupboards you have there.

Nursery hamster escaped in my house and ended up in the walls never to be seen again but heard for a few days scratching behind bedroom wall. Poor little thing. :cry:

I can't believe how intrigued I am with this saga! Isn't it amazing that something so wee can cause so much chaos?:eek:

have you worked out how they got out in the first place? I'm just worried that the other one might escape again!

Latest posts

Back