Hand file vs Drill

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaylee

Reaction score
Hello, everyone I don't know if this has been posted before but i was wondering what most nail tech use hand file or drill ?

I'm currently in school for cosmetology and went for hair but fell in love with doing nails (mostly artificial).

I practice often and always use a hand file I think nail drills can be a bit to harsh(When gotten me nails done with a drill nails where very sore and thin when i took off the artificial nails).

Can one have a business on hand filing alone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I only hand file.. because i havnt had training with a drill.. and i dont see myself using a drill as there is no need.. but i know people can and do use them without trouble or causing damage..

when i have exhausted all other training i want to do i will probably look into drill training.. but only so i can do it not that i will.. but you just never know.

I trained with my efile last year. I use both it and my hand files depending on the particular application. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my efile helps tremendously when my hands are aching. Good training will make the world of difference when using an efile. The scariest experience is the first class that you take and the students must work on each other. SCARY. Then, like everything else in the nail world, it's PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE to get it right.

S

I handfile, but I use my drill for backfills (smile lines), drilling holes for spinning beads and so :) I never ever use my drill on natural nails.

Last edited:
Trained for using a drill.

Tried using a drill.

Never used it after a six month trial period.

I find hand filing both quicker, and easier, less dust and the clients hated it!!

So not compatible with what should be a pampering beauty service IMHO.

I handfile, but I use my drill for backfills, drilling holes for spinning beads and so :) I never ever use my drill on natural nails.

ooo' what does this mean and how do you go about it?

ooo' what does this mean and how do you go about it?

1) Find a bead that matches/compliments the nails
2) Drill a hole in the free edge, a little bigger than the bead so it can spin
3) Cut a piece of jewelery wire/pin to fit over the hole you drilled
4) Put the bead on the wire/pin and drop the bead in the hole (from backside of nails)
5) Glue wire/pin on each side (on the backside if the free edge)
6) Seal wire/pin with a small bead of clear acrylic on each side of the hole

l_62dc289da572cf129d2e53abbf9824ef.jpg

:green:

WOW Christine!! That will be something I'll be working on int he coming weeks!! Very Different!!

I am not against using nail drills, but like Geeg said, i know drills cause more dust because the particles are finer, so more air borne dust for you to breathe in. I personally find my hand filing is quick anyway. I rarely have to file much anyway, i usually sculpt with my brush, not my file. I only have to refine shape and buff to a shine.

Plus i asked a lot of my clients about e files and most wouldn't like the idea, despite knowing i would have proper training. Plus being mobile, it would be something else for me to carry.

I just Love those spinning beads!

4) Put the bead on the wire/pin and drop the bead in the hole (from backside of nails)

They look fantastic, what drill bit do you use to drill the hole? :green:

They look fantastic, what drill bit do you use to drill the hole? :green:

Thanks! (feel the need to say that this was my first go @ spinning bead a long time ago *not that pleased with the nail, ehe* but works as an example)This is the bit I use :)

t_12826.jpg

Beautiful!! I have to try that! Thanks :)

I use hand files, have never trained to use an e-file.

One thing worth pointing out though is that people often shirk away from e-files claiming that they are harsh and cause damage. It should be remembered that a properly trained person can use an e-file in the correct way without causing damage, and in the same sense, a person can cause significant damage with a hand file if they dont use it correctly.

You cant blame the tools for the damage, its the person thats using them!

I have never seen a nail finished with a drill that looks truly refined.
That kind of look is only possible by hand finishing.
Drills can come in handy, but I'd never rely on one for anything.

All I am going to add, is that in my opinion, a drill is a drill and an electric nail file is something comepletely different ...... a drill drills holes! Correct use of an electric nail file should not result in drilling holes in peoples nails!

View points on this are always going to differ. I have personally had my own nails hand filed (or manually drilled) so thin by unskillful techs. I have also had it done with an electric nail file.

At the same time, however, I acknowledge that a skilled and careful tech can both electric and hand file a set of nails beautifully and precisely.

Think carefully about why you may want to use an electric nail file as opposed to manual filing? For example, some techs suffer from repetitive strain injury or find electric filing slicker and quicker. Some techs find that correct manual filing is just as slick and quick.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

For me, unless you have a condition which restricts your ability to manually file, it's better to get your application perfect so that you a) have little filing to do to finish and b) have as little filing as possible on the rebalance. Once you've cracked this, then you can decide whether you really need one. I've pondered about whether to train in using an e-file, but I'm convinced that I can get by if I perfect my application. :)
There are a lot of techs on here who won't use one, but still manage without. And I've heard so many stories that just makes me wonder whether they are worth getting into.
Whatever you decide, just ensure that you get adequate training before you use one.:lol:
Claire x

I am still training but I prefer to file manually, as I can judge better what I am doing.

Hello all, I am in The US and I have used a drill (e-file) for over twenty years. I have never caused damage with it and do not as a common practice, file the "natural" nail with it. Although you can with a light touch. Remember, it is the same filing surface as your file (i DO NOT USE ANY CARBIDE BITS FOR REGULAR FILING I use coarse and medium sanding bands in "red") and you can go as slow or fast as needed. I think I have avoided carpal tunnel and a myriad of other ailments by using it. I think nails by hand or with a drill can be beautiful, but having said that, I think when used properly, a drill can help to stop lifting and when you have an extremely sensitive client, it can truly be more precise avoiding cuts and burns. I hope this helps. If it were me, I would learn it all and then make a judgement about what I felt the most comfortable with:green:

Latest posts

Back