Hand painted nail art

ciderella71

I’d like some advise re the above...

I have different brushes, all good quality and I have tried acrylic paints, gel polish and nail art gels but never get that perfect finish I’m hoping for.

I rarely work with gel or do this kind or nail art so it may just be inexperience but I’d appreciate any tips or advice please.

I thought this looked good until I took a photo and zoomed in

IMG_7656_Facetune_09-04-2019-23-58-41.JPG

Last edited:

PicklePie

They are actually very good. You are trying to paint straight lines on a curved surface freehand whilst still looking for a perfect edge. I think the problem may lie in your expectation rather than your skill. You need to remember that your client will be looking at the nails with their own eyes rather than zooming in on them. Keep up the good work. Your creativity and imagination are always inspirational

ciderella71

They are actually very good. You are trying to paint straight lines on a curved surface freehand whilst still looking for a perfect edge. I think the problem may lie in your expectation rather than your skill. You need to remember that your client will be looking at the nails with their own eyes rather than zooming in on them. Keep up the good work. Your creativity and imagination are always inspirational
That’s very kind, thank you but when I compare it to others I’ve seen I know I can improve. Just not sure how!

7th-Heaven

That’s very kind, thank you but when I compare it to others I’ve seen I know I can improve. Just not sure how!
Wow I think they're amazing :eek: don't be so hard on yourself. I also enjoy hand painting and it's easy to fall into the trap where you compare yourself to people who have been honing their specific hand painting skill for years. I was so so close to flying out to Belgium to attend a class with Sarah Elmaz /Get buffed nails but I was too slow and spaces filled up in 24 hours. :oops: I still am eager to attend classes of the people I look up to, I'm sure it would be very valuable no matter what level I'm at. :)

RosieR

It's so unique and really difficult to do . I am no artist (pretty rubbish actually ) but I would say they are very, very good. Can I please book you if I need any cutting in when decorating ? LOL. Your lines are deffo straighter than mine.
Some of those other pictures you compare youself to may well be photoshopped. Yours are honest!!
Keep up lovely art work and don't be so hard on yourself.
We like them!
RosieR

ciderella71

Wow I think they're amazing :eek: don't be so hard on yourself. I also enjoy hand painting and it's easy to fall into the trap where you compare yourself to people who have been honing their specific hand painting skill for years. I was so so close to flying out to Belgium to attend a class with Sarah Elmaz /Get buffed nails but I was too slow and spaces filled up in 24 hours. :oops: I still am eager to attend classes of the people I look up to, I'm sure it would be very valuable no matter what level I'm at. :)
I would have loved to attend her class to. I was tempted but just couldn’t afford it at the time unfortunately :(

ciderella71

It's so unique and really difficult to do . I am no artist (pretty rubbish actually ) but I would say they are very, very good. Can I please book you if I need any cutting in when decorating ? LOL. Your lines are deffo straighter than mine.
Some of those other pictures you compare youself to may well be photoshopped. Yours are honest!!
Keep up lovely art work and don't be so hard on yourself.
We like them!
RosieR
Thanks Rosie
I know I could do straighter with acrylic though lol.
Liner brushes are great, they make it much easier

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
They're amazing, I'd say the only thing that draws my eye is the 'fluffy' edges around the cuticle, specifically the pinkie on top, middle finger on top and the forefinger on the bottom. All of those are easily remedied with a quick swipe round with CND's Nail Fresh which would remove the blurred edges and define those fab black lines. Any others you see wouldn't be noticed by clients or anyone else looking at them, you are specifically looking for flaws, clients are looking for pretty and 'wow'. I'd love to produce work that good.

ciderella71

They're amazing, I'd say the only thing that draws my eye is the 'fluffy' edges around the cuticle, specifically the pinkie on top, middle finger on top and the forefinger on the bottom. All of those are easily remedied with a quick swipe round with CND's Nail Fresh which would remove the blurred edges and define those fab black lines. Any others you see wouldn't be noticed by clients or anyone else looking at them, you are specifically looking for flaws, clients are looking for pretty and 'wow'. I'd love to produce work that good.
The the edges I’m struggling with, I did try to clean it up but it was also along the edge of the L&P (I won’t say acrylic to you lol) so it caught up in the edge.

I think I need to do finer lines but I’m not sure how to get such a blunt edge at the start and finish with such a fine brush as they taper to one or two hairs.

I am looking for flaws. These were my daughters nails and she loves them but I’d like to do more gel and hand painted nail art.

donnamich

Use the tip of you bristles rather than the edge. It gives a really fine line xx

NZNailz

I can't really see what's wrong with your lines! You've done great!
Only thing I would suggest is making your lines more 'instragram' (I'm guessing thats the standard you're holding yourself to!?) by trimming your brush more. It's rare a brush is perfect straight from the packet :)
and use more of the length of your brush rather than just the tip

They look amazing. I use taped foils . Place them where I want paint then peel before curing. Leaves the lines so straight. Sometimes I also get better lines with a dotting tool than a brush also x

I think you might really like Robin Moses brushes. They are excellent to work with. I often use a variety of art brushes without concern but when something tricky comes up, out come my Wand and my Unicorn.

ciderella71

I think you might really like Robin Moses brushes. They are excellent to work with. I often use a variety of art brushes without concern but when something tricky comes up, out come my Wand and my Unicorn.
Thanks, I’ll have a look at them now :)

What do you girls use to do painted nail art?