Hand painted nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2021

Reaction score
I’d like some advise re the above...

I have different brushes, all good quality and I have tried acrylic paints, gel polish and nail art gels but never get that perfect finish I’m hoping for.

I rarely work with gel or do this kind or nail art so it may just be inexperience but I’d appreciate any tips or advice please.

I thought this looked good until I took a photo and zoomed in [emoji85]

IMG_7656_Facetune_09-04-2019-23-58-41.JPG

Last edited:
They are actually very good. You are trying to paint straight lines on a curved surface freehand whilst still looking for a perfect edge. I think the problem may lie in your expectation rather than your skill. You need to remember that your client will be looking at the nails with their own eyes rather than zooming in on them. Keep up the good work. Your creativity and imagination are always inspirational [emoji1303]

They are actually very good. You are trying to paint straight lines on a curved surface freehand whilst still looking for a perfect edge. I think the problem may lie in your expectation rather than your skill. You need to remember that your client will be looking at the nails with their own eyes rather than zooming in on them. Keep up the good work. Your creativity and imagination are always inspirational [emoji1303]

That’s very kind, thank you but when I compare it to others I’ve seen I know I can improve. Just not sure how!

That’s very kind, thank you but when I compare it to others I’ve seen I know I can improve. Just not sure how!

Wow I think they're amazing :eek: don't be so hard on yourself. I also enjoy hand painting and it's easy to fall into the trap where you compare yourself to people who have been honing their specific hand painting skill for years. I was so so close to flying out to Belgium to attend a class with Sarah Elmaz /Get buffed nails but I was too slow and spaces filled up in 24 hours. :oops: I still am eager to attend classes of the people I look up to, I'm sure it would be very valuable no matter what level I'm at. :)

It's so unique and really difficult to do . I am no artist (pretty rubbish actually ) but I would say they are very, very good. Can I please book you if I need any cutting in when decorating ? LOL. Your lines are deffo straighter than mine.
Some of those other pictures you compare youself to may well be photoshopped. Yours are honest!!
Keep up lovely art work and don't be so hard on yourself.
We like them!
RosieR

Wow I think they're amazing :eek: don't be so hard on yourself. I also enjoy hand painting and it's easy to fall into the trap where you compare yourself to people who have been honing their specific hand painting skill for years. I was so so close to flying out to Belgium to attend a class with Sarah Elmaz /Get buffed nails but I was too slow and spaces filled up in 24 hours. :oops: I still am eager to attend classes of the people I look up to, I'm sure it would be very valuable no matter what level I'm at. :)

I would have loved to attend her class to. I was tempted but just couldn’t afford it at the time unfortunately :(

It's so unique and really difficult to do . I am no artist (pretty rubbish actually ) but I would say they are very, very good. Can I please book you if I need any cutting in when decorating ? LOL. Your lines are deffo straighter than mine.
Some of those other pictures you compare youself to may well be photoshopped. Yours are honest!!
Keep up lovely art work and don't be so hard on yourself.
We like them!
RosieR

Thanks Rosie
I know I could do straighter with acrylic though lol.
Liner brushes are great, they make it much easier

They're amazing, I'd say the only thing that draws my eye is the 'fluffy' edges around the cuticle, specifically the pinkie on top, middle finger on top and the forefinger on the bottom. All of those are easily remedied with a quick swipe round with CND's Nail Fresh which would remove the blurred edges and define those fab black lines. Any others you see wouldn't be noticed by clients or anyone else looking at them, you are specifically looking for flaws, clients are looking for pretty and 'wow'. I'd love to produce work that good.

They're amazing, I'd say the only thing that draws my eye is the 'fluffy' edges around the cuticle, specifically the pinkie on top, middle finger on top and the forefinger on the bottom. All of those are easily remedied with a quick swipe round with CND's Nail Fresh which would remove the blurred edges and define those fab black lines. Any others you see wouldn't be noticed by clients or anyone else looking at them, you are specifically looking for flaws, clients are looking for pretty and 'wow'. I'd love to produce work that good.

The the edges I’m struggling with, I did try to clean it up but it was also along the edge of the L&P (I won’t say acrylic to you lol) so it caught up in the edge.

I think I need to do finer lines but I’m not sure how to get such a blunt edge at the start and finish with such a fine brush as they taper to one or two hairs.

I am looking for flaws. These were my daughters nails and she loves them but I’d like to do more gel and hand painted nail art.

Use the tip of you bristles rather than the edge. It gives a really fine line xx

I can't really see what's wrong with your lines! You've done great!
Only thing I would suggest is making your lines more 'instragram' (I'm guessing thats the standard you're holding yourself to!?) by trimming your brush more. It's rare a brush is perfect straight from the packet :)
and use more of the length of your brush rather than just the tip

They look amazing. I use taped foils . Place them where I want paint then peel before curing. Leaves the lines so straight. Sometimes I also get better lines with a dotting tool than a brush also x

I think you might really like Robin Moses brushes. They are excellent to work with. I often use a variety of art brushes without concern but when something tricky comes up, out come my Wand and my Unicorn. [emoji1]

I think you might really like Robin Moses brushes. They are excellent to work with. I often use a variety of art brushes without concern but when something tricky comes up, out come my Wand and my Unicorn. [emoji1]

Thanks, I’ll have a look at them now :)

What do you girls use to do painted nail art?

I’d like some advise re the above...

I have different brushes, all good quality and I have tried acrylic paints, gel polish and nail art gels but never get that perfect finish I’m hoping for.

I rarely work with gel or do this kind or nail art so it may just be inexperience but I’d appreciate any tips or advice please.

I thought this looked good until I took a photo and zoomed in [emoji85]

View attachment 208721
Can you recommend some good quality nail art brushes?x I think you've done a great job on these x

I personally think they look great; I love them.

I also think that you don't see a lot of what you would consider flaws until you see it blown up to many times larger in a picture. Clients won't see it at all.

Saying that, I've had to trim down most of my brushes, and I water my paint right down.

What do you girls use to do painted nail art?
Are you asking about tools or which medium? I use gels and art acrylics mostly and occasionally the Sharpie pens come out to play. The best gel I've found is Ikon.iQ and the best acrylic is Polycolour. I really wanted to use my dad's art acrylics, he was an artist and when he passed away I was left his art kit. Not to be though because the Polycolour is more pigmented and blends better for working very small.

For application I mostly use a variety of brushes, dotting tools and sponges but I'm not adverse to redeploying anything around the house that I think might be useful, I did some gel fine lining using the point of a little embroidery needle recently which worked really well.

I think if you have a good idea in your mind of what you want to achieve you can then break it down into steps and look at what tools and media will best give you the result you want. Most importantly find time to play about and practice because that will give you a good feel for how things work and what you can do with them.

I personally think they look great; I love them.

I also think that you don't see a lot of what you would consider flaws until you see it blown up to many times larger in a picture. Clients won't see it at all.

Saying that, I've had to trim down most of my brushes, and I water my paint right down.

I’ve never trimmed down my good brushes for fear of ruining them but I do find that the one or two hairs that it tapers down do it difficult to get a clean line at the beginning

Can you recommend some good quality nail art brushes?x I think you've done a great job on these x

Thank you :)

I use mainly crystal nails brushes and I’ve an extremely fine one I got from japan but not sure what it’s called I’m afraid. I love a liner brush!

Latest posts

Back