Handing in my notice - paying back training fees

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrubadub

Reaction score
So I interviewed for an admin job and got that so I am handing in notice to the salon I am at. Amongst not really being able to afford to live there are numerous other problems that I have previously posted on here about.

Anyway I owe money for training now that I am leaving and in my contract it says I can either pay or they will Take it out my last pay (I get paid weekly so will have no money to live on for the rest of the month) so I am hoping to appeal to the owner to pay it when I get paid from the new job.

Please can you guys have a quick look at my letter and see if it looks ok?

Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from the position of Beauty Therapist at .....
As per the terms of my employment contract, I will continue to work for the company for the next 1 week, completing my employment on 9 February 2019, this being an annual leave day as pre booked.
In regards to monies owed to the company for training, I would be able to pay you this in full on 25th February 2019.
I have enjoyed being a part of the team and am thankful for the opportunities you have given me during my time here.
I hope that I can rely on you for a positive reference in future.

Yours sincerely

In theory she can't legally deduct the training cost from wages and legally it's probably not enforceable to make you pay back the training.

In theory she can't legally deduct the training cost from wages and legally it's probably not enforceable to make you pay back the training.

The problem is that I need to hand in my notice tomorrow so not going to have time to get advice on this before I hand the letter in

I’m pretty sure that if doing the training was a requirement of the job then it is the salon owner who pays. But if it’s in writing and you signed it, it’s arguably enforceable I’d say. I think you’re putting a very reasonable proposal forward though and it’s just a matter of trust. You could perhaps quickly contact citizens advice or just phone a solicitor and ask? Worth a shot.

...But if it’s in writing and you signed it, it’s arguably enforceable I’d say.

Just because you sign and agree to something doesn’t make it legally enforceable.
With regards to clawing back training fees, they are often completely unenforceable because they have not been drawn up correctly.
Always take legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from the position of Beauty Therapist at .....
As per the terms of my employment contract, I will continue to work for the company for the next 1 week, completing my employment on 9 February 2019, this being an annual leave day as pre booked.
In regards to monies owed to the company for training, I would be able to pay you this in full on 25th February 2019.
I have enjoyed being a part of the team and am thankful for the opportunities you have given me during my time here.
I hope that I can rely on you for a positive reference in future.

Yours sincerely

Do not make any reference to the training fees in your letter!

I’d also ditch the final sentence, to be honest.

Just because you sign and agree to something doesn’t make it legally enforceable.
With regards to clawing back training fees, they are often completely unenforceable because they have not been drawn up correctly.

Ok thank you! :)

I always asked my employers if they’d mind giving me a written reference to take away with me. Then you already have references for the future. Especially given that many references become unobtainable once those persons have moved on etc. Tracing them can be tricky. I have written references from as far back as my jobs I had while still in school although they are no longer required.

I am intrigued on this one. I also left my salon job to do admin 3 years ago, and they took my training out of my last pay without warning, also “lost” my certificate for it meaning I had to pay for a new one. The kit was included in the training which they also kept.

I am intrigued on this one. I also left my salon job to do admin 3 years ago, and they took my training out of my last pay without warning, also “lost” my certificate for it meaning I had to pay for a new one. The kit was included in the training which they also kept.

I have my certificates and kit, it’s 75% of one course and 100% of another I have to pay, I get paid weekly and 1 weeks pay won’t cover the courses

In a turn of events when I started to talk to my boss I started by saying I’m struggling on the wages etc and she said she already had in mind about letting someone go and she will be putting that into place and giving me full time hours which feels horrible to me :( also it’s just her word that this will happen and the admin job pays more so now not sure what to do, I like my job but I think there are too many drawbacks

They absolutely should have given you notice of taking money out of your pay, very naughty of them not to tell you. Plus you paid for that kit, it was yours to keep. Some employers really annoy me!

In a turn of events when I started to talk to my boss I started by saying I’m struggling on the wages etc and she said she already had in mind about letting someone go and she will be putting that into place and giving me full time hours which feels horrible to me :( also it’s just her word that this will happen and the admin job pays more so now not sure what to do, I like my job but I think there are too many drawbacks
That's a tricky one! Are you treated well at the salon? Do you feel your job is secure if you stay? Can you survive comfortably on full time wages? Ask her how soon this full time job would start. Its is a bit shit that she is letting someone go but it's her choice not yours so don't feel bad. The choice you make doesn't define the rest of your life. Do what's right for you. Let us know how it goes and what you decide to do. And best of luck!

That's a tricky one! Are you treated well at the salon? Do you feel your job is secure if you stay? Can you survive comfortably on full time wages? Ask her how soon this full time job would start. Its is a bit shit that she is letting someone go but it's her choice not yours so don't feel bad. The choice you make doesn't define the rest of your life. Do what's right for you. Let us know how it goes and what you decide to do. And best of luck!

Yes I think it’s secure. Not particularly, would still be struggling just not as much. She said I have to wait a couple of weeks for her to action everything.

The main drawbacks are: I have to provide my own uniform but a uniform she tells us we have to have, have to provide my own nail tools and tweezers, will now have to provide my own nail art brushes.

How many reasons are there to stay and how many reasons are there to go? Write a list of the things you want out of a job and then see how many apply to each job. Just thinking what I'd do! x

They absolutely should have given you notice of taking money out of your pay, very naughty of them not to tell you. Plus you paid for that kit, it was yours to keep. Some employers really annoy me!

It was a disgrace really. I lost out on a kit, a certificate and this was all because they were not paying me enough and admin was more money

Scrubadub, if I were you, just hand in your one week's notice and don't worry that your pay doesn't cover the amount of your training. That's a risk the owner took when she let you run up training fees that are greater than the cost of your wage. Trust me, she'll have known what she was doing.

As a salon owner, that's certainly how I look at things. I've had staff resign still owing me money for paid leave. There is nothing that I can do.

The owner has a business to run and it she doesn't make sure that her staff can live on their wage and feel valued and happy in their work, she had to take the risk that they will leave. It isn't as if you are leaving to work for the competition or to set up in business on your own. She doesn't have to worry that she'll lose a load of her clients. So don't stress.

I’d be tempted to go if I were you. Sounds like she plays games. Hand in your notice and let her show if she reAlly values you!

I’ve decided to leave! Tomorrow and Friday are my last days, I think it’s unfair that we have to provide our own uniforms (she tells us what we are allowed) our own nail tools and tweezers and our own nail art brushes all without an increase in pay at all to help cover these costs! I also had no 100% reassurance that she would have actually done what she said and got rid of someone

I’ve decided to leave! Tomorrow and Friday are my last days, I think it’s unfair that we have to provide our own uniforms (she tells us what we are allowed) our own nail tools and tweezers and our own nail art brushes all without an increase in pay at all to help cover these costs! I also had no 100% reassurance that she would have actually done what she said and got rid of someone
Glad you came to a decision, it must feel good to have made a definite choice. Best of luck with your new job. x

Latest posts

Back