Handing in my notice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbie101

Reaction score
Do you think I should do it? It's my job in retail - I've been there just under a year an had a review last Friday for them to tell me I'm basically rubbish at the job - I was furious and all weekend I've been thinking I need to leave so written my notice to hand in today - shall I do it? The review said I don't help other floors in the shop (I spend half my shift on other floors) I got told I need to think of tasks on my own without relying on the manager (I fill in all the managers paperwork in the morning, I do everything on the shop floor that needs doing until I go home without her telling me I need to do it), she said I don't talk to customers (I greet every single person on the shop floor) so I feel like all my time an effort I've put in has not been appreciated and like whatever I do she will just say I'm not doing it - is it time to hand in my notice?! I haven't been enjoying it for a months but I still go and do my best while I'm there :( X

Seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction, can you afford to give this job up?
I would never advise leaving a job unless you had another to go to and your liveliehood wouldn't be affected.

Were you given the opportunity to discuss this appraisal/evaluation of your work and did your supervisor have examples of all her criticisms as I am sure in any appraisal system that is necessary. Also you would need to have been informed of your failings prior to an appraisal and given the chance to improve or be offered more training.

Oh that's awful. Rather than hastily handing in your notice, I would pull your manager in for a meeting and speak to her. Tell her exactly what you've just told us and say you are really disappointed that she thinks this of you. Ask her to give examples of where she thinks you've not done your tasks. Don't let someone make you hand your notice in when you know you are the polar opposite- why should you be out of a job and money. Keep it calm, arm yourself with notes and examples of you fulfilling your duties. If you get no where with her speak to your HR department and see if they can help you both understand.

It's a rotten situation and I don't blame you for feeling this way, but don't let this push you out of your job if you know you are nothing like she says. It doesn't have to be confrontational, just put your side across. Don't mention handing in your notice, try and get to the bottom of it. Explain how her points have upset and disappointed you.

Good luck lovey I hope for a positive outcome for you. Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction, can you afford to give this job up?
I would never advise leaving a job unless you had another to go to and your liveliehood wouldn't be affected.

Were you given the opportunity to discuss this appraisal/evaluation of your work and did your supervisor have examples of all her criticisms as I am sure in any appraisal system that is necessary. Also you would need to have been informed of your failings prior to an appraisal and given the chance to improve or be offered more training.

I currently have 2 other jobs an beauty on the side aswell as this job - It would not of bothered if I was lazy standing there doing nothing because it would of been the truth but it was just her listing all this stuff that was it, no asking my questions or anything. My boyfriend thinks I should had a word with the store manager an if he agrees with her or whatever hand in my notice - but before this review I really wasn't enjoying it an it was like a chore to go there and now I'm dreading going there! :( she didn't give me examples she just said I wasn't doing any of the stuff she listed :( xx

Oh that's awful. Rather than hastily handing in your notice, I would pull your manager in for a meeting and speak to her. Tell her exactly what you've just told us and say you are really disappointed that she thinks this of you. Ask her to give examples of where she thinks you've not done your tasks. Don't let someone make you hand your notice in when you know you are the polar opposite- why should you be out of a job and money. Keep it calm, arm yourself with notes and examples of you fulfilling your duties. If you get no where with her speak to your HR department and see if they can help you both understand.

It's a rotten situation and I don't blame you for feeling this way, but don't let this push you out of your job if you know you are nothing like she says. It doesn't have to be confrontational, just put your side across. Don't mention handing in your notice, try and get to the bottom of it. Explain how her points have upset and disappointed you.

Good luck lovey I hope for a positive outcome for you. Xxxx

Thank you! I don't really want to speak to my manager I've never got on with her since she started at Christmas I only see her on my shift once and even then she doesn't talk to me or just says 'clean' and walks off ... If I was going to speak to anyone it would be store manager but I feel I still won't enjoy myself there even when it's been said xx

I think possibly you have made your mind up already lovey.

I understand that you don't get on with her but could you not speak to the store manager and then ask for a group meeting? Bottom line he would have to speak to her anyway so it could be a lot of toing and froing. Personally if it was me I'd grab the situation by the wotsits and sort it out, even if I still planned on handing my notice in. You may be surprised that when asked to explain her reasons she has no substance to back it up. Then if you really still feel that you can't work there any longer, you've put your side across and can walk away with your head held even higher. Xxx

I think possibly you have made your mind up already lovey.

I understand that you don't get on with her but could you not speak to the store manager and then ask for a group meeting? Bottom line he would have to speak to her anyway so it could be a lot of toing and froing. Personally if it was me I'd grab the situation by the wotsits and sort it out, even if I still planned on handing my notice in. You may be surprised that when asked to explain her reasons she has no substance to back it up. Then if you really still feel that you can't work there any longer, you've put your side across and can walk away with your head held even higher. Xxx

That's true, i think if the store mangers in today I'll have a word see what he says then give my notice least he will know the reasons and then it's up to him what he does with her xx

If you have two other jobs really don't like this one and your beauty then just leave... If you can afford it and aren't leaving as a knee jerk reaction!

If you have two other jobs really don't like this one and your beauty then just leave... If you can afford it and aren't leaving as a knee jerk reaction!

I always said I wanted to leave but it's £200-£300 a month I'm saying goodbye too it might not sound a lot but it is to me... I think I'll have a word with the store manager then just hand it in ... It will make me work twice as hard to get the garage sorted to do beauty properly! But I just don't know if I can say bye to that much money at the moment I've explained the situation to my mom and she thinks I should go but I do need the money :/ Xx

I always said I wanted to leave but it's £200-£300 a month I'm saying goodbye too it might not sound a lot but it is to me... I think I'll have a word with the store manager then just hand it in ... It will make me work twice as hard to get the garage sorted to do beauty properly! But I just don't know if I can say bye to that much money at the moment I've explained the situation to my mom and she thinks I should go but I do need the money :/ Xx

If you need the money then why not grit your teeth and bare it for a couple more months in the meantime work on your beauty stuff?
I handed in my notice last week but I have 6 weeks notice- if been putting it off for months but I had to leave to focus on my beauty stuff which I'm taking really seriously now lol!
I thought my decision through carefully though.
Be wary of just leaving if you really need the money!

I'll definitely have a word with store manager today if his in and let him know how I feel and what I think of this review ... If he doesn't seem helpful or like he doesn't care I'll just hand it in ... I do have to give 4 weeks notice though so I'm 4 weeks I can get the garage finished ready for clients! Xx

Sounds like my reviews when I worked for house of fraser. Retail is tough, but stand up to your manager first and see what he says. Mine accused me of being a complete liar when I questioned her review so that's when I left. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I hope it goes well for you. :)

Latest posts

Back