Handing Notice In????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would tell your current boss that you are going to tell your clients you are leaving but you won't tell them where you are going, I think that is a fair way to go about it.

The clients that want to go with you will find you or you can decide with your new boss wether or not to place an advert in paper with your photo in it that way they can easily locate you.

I can understand why your boss doesn't want you to tell the clients but like you say you have been there eight years, they have a right to know.

This is a sticky situation but a common one. If you are actually employed by the salon you are currently at then you actually have no right to tell clients where you are going as this is veiwed as 'stealing business' also if you take details of your clients from the salon you could be prosecuted under the data protection act, believe me this does happen. Your salon boss is just protecting her business, as im sure you would :)

If you are self-employed it is a different ball game. The clients are rightfully yours not the salons and you can inform them of your leaving, also all record cards belong to you not the salon. :)

At the end of the day, if you are a good stylist you will soon build up your clientle and old clients WILL find you! They go to many lengths I have found :) Also when you join your new salon you can also put and ad in the local paper introducing yourself as a new stylist to the salon. Clients will see this.

I never burn too many bridges, you never know when you will need them :)

Good luck:hug:

This is a sticky situation but a common one. If you are actually employed by the salon you are currently at then you actually have no right to tell clients where you are going as this is veiwed as 'stealing business' also if you take details of your clients from the salon you could be prosecuted under the data protection act, believe me this does happen. Your salon boss is just protecting her business, as im sure you would :)

If you are self-employed it is a different ball game. The clients are rightfully yours not the salons and you can inform them of your leaving, also all record cards belong to you not the salon. :)

At the end of the day, if you are a good stylist you will soon build up your clientle and old clients WILL find you! They go to many lengths I have found :) Also when you join your new salon you can also put and ad in the local paper introducing yourself as a new stylist to the salon. Clients will see this.

I never burn too many bridges, you never know when you will need them :)

Good luck:hug:

Very much agree here except she isn't concerned about telling them Where she is going. She just wants to tell them that when they come in for their next appt. She won't be there and the owner isn't even allowing her to do that.

That doesn't look good on her behalf.

The ad in the newspaper is a great idea. Have the new salon owners go in half with you.

I can certainly see both sides of the story here, and have come a cropper with this one myself..

What you haven't said is if the new salon you will be working at is a local one.... If I were the salon owner, I would be really concerned if a good member of staff decided to leave and go to another local salon.... Basically, I probably would have let you go and paid you your notice.... sorry if this sounds harsh, but damage limitation from the salons point of view.

If it wasn't a local salon, then I would have no problem with you working your notice, as long as you weren't giving the clients the details or your phone number, etc.

From your point of view..... can you honestly say, hand on heart, that you don't want those clients who you see as yours, to come with you??

I have had great members of staff who have had their own businesses after working with me, and on the other side of the coin, I have had members of staff who have lied and cheated and tried to damage my business. One even started giving clients her details whilst I was physically having my baby, then left me in the lurch when the baby was just two weeks old. My little one is now four, as a boss you get a little weary of this type of thing.

If I am totally wrong, then I can only apologise, but again, I see both sides.

Sue x

so what is next for you sweetcorn,mobile,own salon,world domination lol?????

From your point of view..... can you honestly say, hand on heart, that you don't want those clients who you see as yours, to come with you??

Of course I want clients to come with me. Who wouldn't? But I understand that is not allowed to happen.

The new salon I am going to is 12 miles away and I know alot of clients just will not travel that distance or pay the town prices as well as parking. All I wanted to do was sit down with her and agree a select few clients who I could say goodbye to and not to lie to them when they want to book in next time.

I completely understand where she is coming from and I get that but does 8 years of working for someone not count for anything???

I am so very very upset about all this:cry:

My life the last week has been awful, I don't sleep, I feel sick all the time and I'm not eating because I dread going in to work. I really wish she had told me to not work my notice. I gave her that option and she made the decision to let me work yet now she is punishing me for it?

I'm so mad at myself for being such a mug and thinking we were friends and more than boss/employee. I don't think i will make the same mistake again.:cry:

Also she has started telling clients when I am not there so whats the problem? She is sort of bad mouthing me as well making out my reasons for leaving (traveling, petrol money etc) are rubbish and excuses in front of clients.

I just don't know what to do. Do I say my piece and get it off my chest and risk her telling me to leave and sever all future ties (if there are any left!!) OR do I keep my head down finish my week left and leave but maybe always kick myself I didn't get things off my chest?????????:mad:

It's sad when this type of relationship breaks down.... You spend much of your life with your colleagues, I think in this case I would not go out badly, regardless of whether you may need a reference at this time or not.

If it doesn't work out at the new place, you may still need that reference... also, once she has licked her own wounds, and realises she has not handled it very well, she may well regret the way she has treated you, and may still be a good alli (spelling?) in future. I know it sounds barmy, but we all act in bad ways at times... as you've got this far, you may as well go out on top!!!

Do as suggested earlier, simply advertise your move.. ensure it is seen in the local rag of the area you have come from. twelve miles is far enough away that she should not worry too much about her business, although It is surprising how far some people will travel if they really want to come with you! Good luck !

Stay honest, don't bad mouth her back regardless of what she does, then you won't have anything to feel bad about in future.

Sue x

Thanks sue those are wise words and you are so right. Its just hard to remember to take the high ground when you are angry and upset!!!

Luv U Guys X

You know what sweetcorn you are making yourself ill over this and you don't need it any more,:cry:
Enough is Enough take your things and walk away ,
get yourself to the doctors and get a sick note , as you're being made ill by all of this
your health is more important than all of this,

You could end up with I B S or something if this carries on.
It happened to me because of a similar situation,

Tell me to mind my own business if you like but If you were my Daughter this is what I would say to you;
I would say to you that "money is nothing compared to your health " is it ?
Then Id would say to you ," ok you may lose money because you left,
but then so might she ", so it breaks even , you cannot help it if you are sick with stress,

I am not too sure of the law and where you would stand about money but I am
sure no amount of money is worth this ?
Also because you will be off sick you will not be put in the position of blowing your top
and up to now you have handled it well ,:hug: let your partner politely answer her calls,
as you are not up to it just yet ,
as this is clearly taking its toll on your health,
Just go hun ,:hug:

If you feel a great weight has been lifted by reading this then you know you are doing the right thing for your health,
sorry sweetcorn but that is my advice to you .
you are suffering inside too much now to stay ,:cry: :hug: x

I agree with minky, you are going anyway, why make yourself suffer any longer?? Its so hard not to take things personally in this situation. You and your boss now have nothing to lose by you going early, she has made this clear. You shoukldnt allow a work situation rule your personal life like this, you are worth more than that :hug:

Yeah I know what you guys are saying but I just can't leave because I feel bad on the other girls that I will be leaving behind. It will cause them hassle and destress.

All my family keep telling me to go but I'm not like that and I can't do it to them. Whether they appreciate it or not I know I would feel worse than I do if I walked. Also I see that as giving in to her because I'm sure thats what she wants and I'm just TOO stuborn to do that!!!

Yeah I know what you guys are saying but I just can't leave because I feel bad on the other girls that I will be leaving behind. It will cause them hassle and destress.

All my family keep telling me to go but I'm not like that and I can't do it to them. Whether they appreciate it or not I know I would feel worse than I do if I walked. Also I see that as giving in to her because I'm sure thats what she wants and I'm just TOO stuborn to do that!!!

Hiya sweetcorn as long as you're not going to make yourself ill over this
So as long as you are ok and we are all here supporting you along the way ,

So is everyone else being ok with you in the salon ?
and its just the boss who is being off hand with you ?
As long as there is some moral support in the salon and not all backbiting,
and will be able to cope with it ok,
Lots of hugs and good luck for the coming week :hug::hug:

Thanks Minky.

Yeah the other girls are being very supportive and don't agree with the way she is behaving. So that makes work a bit easier.

No I'm ok really just glad when its over!! Wish it was a month from now when I'm settled and got the stress of leaving and the new job behind me!!!

If only I had a magic wand!!!

couldn't you tell your clients that you are not going to be here for their next appt. And If and when they ask "where ya going?" Just tell them that You are Not Allowed to tell them. That seems fair for all the players.

It just fries my buns to think of those clients who haven't a clue and will come in for their next appt and you aren't there. That to me is inconceivable and poor judgment in client care.:irked:

couldn't you tell your clients that you are not going to be here for their next appt. And If and when they ask "where ya going?" Just tell them that You are Not Allowed to tell them. That seems fair for all the players.

Yes this makes sense to you and me JDs but NOT to her! She wouldn't even agree to sitting down and agreeing a select few customers who I was allowed to tell.

It just fries my buns to think of those clients who haven't a clue and will come in for their next appt and you aren't there. That to me is inconceivable and poor judgment in client care.:irked:

I know what you mean it is driving me insane the betrayal that she is making me take part in as well as making the other girls too.

I am just so disappointed.:irked:

Hi hun, when my father in law left his first firm, the new firm he went to put his pic in the local paper with an announcement that said how pleased they were to welcome Mr ..... to their team and how thrilled they were to have such an asset bla bla bla watch this space. Boombini's right if you and your new boss do it right all your old customers will know why you left. And I think thats what's important to you rather then them all following you.
Know what I would do, I'd buy her a lovely bunch of flowers for my final day to thank her for all she'd done for me with a big card that will sit on the reception desk where all the clients will see it:) but I've got a rep for being evil:twisted:

LOL Great advice Susie. I did this with one of my former BRs. When I bought the salon, she stayed with me but somewhere along the lines her attitude changed towards me and clients were complaining about her attitude and the rude things she was saying about me being a nazi salon owner. (She didn't think she had to follow the new rules)
When push came to shove, she left and I sent her flowers to her new place of employment, knowing that she was bad mouthing me there also (I had secret squirrels ) But still to this day (three years later) she still hasn't said Hi to me when she comes into the salon to have her hair colored by one of the BR's.
Moral of story: I felt better about sending her flowers and showing her that I would not stoop to her level.

Yeah I agree. I am going to send a present and a card when I leave but I know she won't put the card up!! But I just want to feel better by letting her know that I have no hard feelings and I am going to miss her.

She came in today to say bye (She is on holiday for my last few days) and we had a hug and then I had a cry at home because I do like her and she has been a huge part of my life for 8 years and has helped me both in my career and my personal life. She means alot to me and I just want to tell her that.

This last 2 weeks has been a real rollercoaster of emotions and I know she hasn't been very good about things but at the end of the day I will miss her.

What a softy and mug I am!!!

Yeah I agree. I am going to send a present and a card when I leave but I know she won't put the card up!! But I just want to feel better by letting her know that I have no hard feelings and I am going to miss her.

She came in today to say bye (She is on holiday for my last few days) and we had a hug and then I had a cry at home because I do like her and she has been a huge part of my life for 8 years and has helped me both in my career and my personal life. She means alot to me and I just want to tell her that.

This last 2 weeks has been a real rollercoaster of emotions and I know she hasn't been very good about things but at the end of the day I will miss her.

What a softy and mug I am!!!

HI there,
sweetcorn I know what you mean ,you sometimes just have to follow your heart , and sometimes people just don't understand that you must go and do this ,

Your boss I suppose must be hurt and also choked up, as she too will miss you,
so all the negative feelings that you have felt coming from her may have just been hurt and bewilderment on her side too,
She may be thinking oh dear what did I do wrong ect ,

I think you have been a fantastic employee , Good on you sweetcorn
I hope she gives you those ruddy scissors you liked as a leaving pressie !
you so deserve them , good luck sweetcorn :hug:

Well Ive left the old job and started the new.

It was very sad leaving the old job and the girls but NOT the boss. The girls got me flowers and necklace and the boss refused to give any money towards it. She signed the card though!!!! How kind!!

Also found out she has told the other girls things I confided in her.She blabbed about a money issue I was concerned about a few months ago regarding the other girls at work which in the end turned out to be nothing. I discussed my concerns confidentially and she told one of the girls that I'd basically accused her of stealing from me!!! It was NOTHING like that.

So the gloves are off and now I've left I'm ringing clients and putting loads of adverts in the local paper with offers for old clients.

If she plays dirty so can I!!! Didn't wanna do it like this but I am NOT gonna be walked all over.

I'm so glad I'm out of there.

Latest posts

Back