hands hurting from work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jac extreme

Reaction score
In the last few months I have noticed that my left hand (working hand) is becoming painful.
This is the hand that I get eczema on so the joints are scarred on this hand, but I don't think that is the problem, I think it is the position I hold my hand in to work thats causing it.
I cannot open that hand out fully now, it also aches. I was wondering if anyone else gets this and if they do, what they do to help it, I wondered whether those balls that you massage/squeeze in your hands might be of help, any ideas welcome.

Couldt it be RSI or does Arthritis run in the family?

my hands were becoming really achey a while back jac, i started taking 1000mg glucosamine per day and within 5/6 weeks there was a huge improvement. i only get it from time to time now instead of every day.

Jac - Don't know what it is hun but I think you should go to the doc and get it examined. :hug:

I have the beginings of arthritis in my other thumb from constantly holding the client's finger steady, but this feels more like the muscles are freezing up if you know what I mean.

I have the beginings of arthritis in my other thumb from constantly holding the client's finger steady, but this feels more like the muscles are freezing up if you know what I mean.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys, but my hand was getting very crampy, so I spoke to the salon owner about it and she asked me if I was resting my hand on the table and holding the clients hand gently, and I wasnt! I was holding the clients had a little bit off the table, and clenching their finger.

So check the way you are holding.

Also, Marianne at Creative told us all at our foundation course to get elastic bands/hair bobbles and put them around the fingers and stretch the muscles as a daily excersise - I cant really explain exactly but if you hold your hand palm up, bring you fingers in to a kind of claw shape, then pop a tight band round and try to flex the fingers outwards.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :hug:

my hands were becoming really achey a while back jac, i started taking 1000mg glucosamine per day and within 5/6 weeks there was a huge improvement. i only get it from time to time now instead of every day.

What does the glucosamine do for your hands exactly? Iv'e seen this on the shelves in chemists/supermarkets but have never taken any notice really.

Jac - Don't know what it is hun but I think you should go to the doc and get it examined. :hug:

I agree Jac. Even if it is not arthritis, it is best to get it seen to sooner rather than later. Your nail business is your livelyhood and you need your hands. xx

What does the glucosamine do for your hands exactly? Iv'e seen this on the shelves in chemists/supermarkets but have never taken any notice really.

I agree Jac. Even if it is not arthritis, it is best to get it seen to sooner rather than later. Your nail business is your livelyhood and you need your hands. xx

glucosamine is a substance produced naturally by the body that help keep joints and ligaments healthy. as you get older your body produces less so taking a supplement tops up our natural resources. it has worked its magic on my knees and hips too.

Emu Oil, i've mentioned it heaps of times before

I have tried it Carl but it doesnt seem to have made a difference to me, I brought some off the internet and also got my Dad to bring back some from Oz last month:) I will continue to use it though.

I have tried it Carl but it doesnt seem to have made a difference to me, I brought some off the internet and also got my Dad to bring back some from Oz last month:) I will continue to use it though.
3 nights a week, really massage your own hands , concentrate on massaging your knuckles/joints individually, pushing and pulling them (for at least for 30 mins, i do it when i'm in bed, then i don't have to wash my hands afterwards), i do this for a week, then it lasts me a coupla months, then i start the process all over again.
Different people suffer from different conditions though, Emu Oil works for me.
As stated before Glucosamine is also good (it takes a while to get in your system though (and it tastes like ****e) in powder form.

Also application is very important, use you brush and application to get things right, don't press too hard with your files (they actually work better with less pressure) ... as using pressure actually makes them clog and do their job worse.

I did a search on this last night before seeing this thread, i've found over the past few weeks i've been getting alot of thumb and wrist pain. With each of my pregnancies i got carpal tunnel and it feels like that again, i guess its like a RSI its always worse if i've had alot of waxing in a day, either that or alot of pedicures, tried the rubber band stretching today and that did ease it up a bit x

Are you stretching out between appointments Jac?

I am double jointed, and I find that my thumb on my left hand starts to ache, if you pull it to stretch it in the opposite direction it does help.

I hope you can sort it, as this sort of pain isn't funny :hug:

jac try a six week course of my wonderfull manicures the day before your busyest client day you will see and feel the difference

trust me :hug:

go and see your doc too :)

Latest posts

Back