handy tip for applying white paint on gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Following a prompt from Karren+ Id like to share with you a handy tip for applying white paint on gels (as available with Brisa, or LCN FM gels etc - these aren't builder gels). instead of applying with a brush, use a sport swirl / marbling tool.
Dip the end of the tool in your gel to place a small bead on the end and then "draw" your smile line with it. Then use the tool in light strokes to draw the gel back to the free edge - you need to work as thin as poss, but using enough to get an even coating. Look down the barrel of the nail to check it is evenly coated. If your smile line isn't perfect you may be able to "sweep" a flat brush along the line to get it very crisp and even (should I start singing Good King Wenceslas now? - you know deep and crisp and even lol)
Cure in UV lamp and apply your sealant/finishing layer as normal. Because you have to make the sealant layer slightly thicker so that there isn't a ridge over the nail due to the raised white gel, you may find it easier to apply sealant to one nail at a time and cure for 10 secs so it won't flood the side walls.
This works great on Brisa toes as well - as vouched for by Karren (not me - I don't do feet ... or Brisa for that matter!)
Hope this idea helps some of you if you have been having probs with this application.

I notice someone has given me a negative reputation score for this thread. Not bothered by it, but if I have done something out of turn, or my advice is poor advice I'd rather you'd let me know personally. Or send in a post to let us all know. Thought I was giving some helpful advice ..... but obviously not!!! Cheers

I found, as I'm sure many others did too Sarah, that your post was very helpful. I hope that someone wanted to give you good reputation points and probably hit the wrong button. I'm sure this is the case.

Thanks Jane, glad you found it helpful. That's why Karren told me to post it, cos it's changed her life (well ..... bit of an exageration really) and she urged me to put it on here. Neg or positive, I'm not too bothered (really, i'm not!) as we all have our own ideas on what's right and wrong. Just ask that if it was a negative reputationscore that the person put a comment so i could have seen why they thought it was so bad to warrant one...... on the other hand, thanks to those peeps who have responded with +ve ones, your support is very welcome and appreciated (nice to know who you were so I could thank you, so I do it undercover!!) What amused me that my shming shmong thread had got a few positive which was a bit of fun , and my serious one got caned!!!!! LOVE YOU ALL!
Jane said:
I found, as I'm sure many others did too Sarah, that your post was very helpful. I hope that someone wanted to give you good reputation points and probably hit the wrong button. I'm sure this is the case.

Hello everyone

If anyone would like to see a step by step of the technique that Sarah has posted you will find it on
http://www.lcnuk.com/magazine/Page8.pdf

It always helps to have a visual :cool: i find! Its a great LCN technique, really effective with the more runny whites and also colours. If you don't have a marbling tool a cocktail stick will do the job. :biggrin:

Thanks Sarah and Tracey for this tip ;) I think its a great idea especially for short free-edges.

Yep I can vouch for this method too - thought LCN were bonkers when they first introduced it for the FM Colours but its fantastic for a nice accurate smile line, especially on shorter free-edges (toes included as Karren has now discovered) and usually, if using the smaller, pointed end, its accurrate enough not to necessarily swipe if you've got a nice steady hand (something I don't possess a lot of the time mind you!).

Just to let you know the -ve rep culprit has pm'd me. Pushed the wrong button by mistake - all power to you for "owning up". Just worried that i'd posted something I shouldn't have.
Thanks for all the positive comments since!

Thanks for the tip Sarah. I am getting better at smile lines but have just had a go with my marbling tool....now I'm much better!

Many thanks Sarah and Tracey for this tip.

Latest posts

Back