Hard bits in Shellac/gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
This is really frustrating! Every time I soak off and re do I find a couple of lumpy bits in the first colour coat. I'm always sure I've removed all the old stuff and no cuticle etc but then I do first colour coat and there they Are a couple of bits poking out!! Sometimes I can scrape them with an orange stick but sometimes I can't and then I'm not sure what to do so continue on and the client is left with a few tiny dots [emoji53] any tips? I'm sure it's old product because I don't seem to have it with a new set. Thank you x

Is it possible it's damaged nail during the removal process where the nail has been scraped

It could be but I'm very careful with removal I just gently push off as it pretty much flakes off especially shellac. Just wish I could see it before I've colour coated, I'm tempted to give nails a quick buff to ensure smooth but I don't really want to as this is not needed with shellac [emoji53] x

Hi I'm having this trouble too. I'm using gelish. I always ensure there's nothing left on the on nail before I reapply. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

It's really all in the meticulous PEP you do before re-application. You may 'think' you have removed all, but it's always worth a beady eye. CND CuticleAway is the best product out there to remove ALL non living-tissue from the nail plate but you still must be uber careful when using 'metal' implements during removal of non-living tissue. The 240 side of the Koala Buffer will gently exfoliate the nail plate surface but I agree - you don't want to do any of that if you don't have to.

So, once you have PEP'd the natural nails - rather than the 240 side of the Koala - use the 1200 side on each nail and if there are any 'bits' this will remove without etching the nail plate thus ensuring 'no bits'!!

Hope this helps!! L&R Samantha

It IS in the pep.

However you can be as careful as you like with the PEP but if you haven't always been that careful you can find "bits" from previous applications, which come out of your shellac bottle and on to your perfectly pepped nail and you will have the same problem.

So the answer is to fling away every bottle of Shellac you owned BEFORE you started being mega-careful with the pep, and buy new ones!! [emoji2]

OR

if you take a 180/240
grit file and gently do a few strokes over the offending particle after the first colour coat, which is when it shows up, you can successfully paint the second colour coat nice and smoothly and it will look perfect xx

Blossom mentions 180grit - please do NOT use that on the natural nail - EVER! 240grit yes - 180grit no and please refer to previous post in regards to the 1200 grit - that will help.

Thanks everyone yes I only use 240/1200 grit, I will try to be even more scrupulous with prep just in case I'm missing anything and will try the buff after colour coat if needed for any lumps [emoji3] x

Blossom mentions 180grit - please do NOT use that on the natural nail - EVER! 240grit yes - 180grit no and please refer to previous post in regards to the 1200 grit - that will help.

Absolutely. I meant over the base and first colour coat not on the natural nail itself x

Do you use a good quality cuticle pusher? The cheap ones can damage the nail, leaving the surface bitty. I recommend Tweezerman.

My pusher is a cheap one! Il look into a better one too, come to think of It I have recently changed mine and I never used to have this problem.......

My pusher is a cheap one! Il look into a better one too, come to think of It I have recently changed mine and I never used to have this problem.......
Cheap schmeap.... Your professional tools are the MOST important things you have in your arsenal. Always invest MORE in these and never let fellow workers borrow lol... These are your babies.

Latest posts

Back