Hard Gel info

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiggs81

Reaction score
Hi All

Please excuse my complete lack of knowlege about nail systems in general. At the moment I only use Shellac and I have never done any kind of acrylic or extensions apart from briefly at college. I had a client asking for a gel manicure and from talking to her she means hard gel. Can I ask for more information about this system, does it extend the natural nail? Is it for people with extremely weak nails who cannot wear soft gel or shellac? Is it infilled or removed every time and how is it removed?
Thank you

Hi
I also do shellac as well as acrylic and Nsi balance gel (which is a hard gel).

I use the balance gel under shellac for clients with peeling or weak nails to help it last the 2-3 weeks.

When it comes to shellac removal the shellac soaks off where as the gel needs to be buffed down. Bear this in mind when charging as it takes extra time to re apply and apply in the first place.

It's a good option for problem nails I just charge extra for it. Means shellac can suit most people's nails and last the guided time.

There is a lot of info on here about Brisa gel which is the same system as shellac- I will be starting to use this once I have used up my balance gel.

You can also use hard gels in various colour for extending the nails either with a nail form or with tips. The same removal process applies (if using nsi I'm not sure if brisa needs buffed off or soaked off) hth x

twitter@iwantextensions

Hi
I also do shellac as well as acrylic and Nsi balance gel (which is a hard gel).

I use the balance gel under shellac for clients with peeling or weak nails to help it last the 2-3 weeks.

When it comes to shellac removal the shellac soaks off where as the gel needs to be buffed down. Bear this in mind when charging as it takes extra time to re apply and apply in the first place.

It's a good option for problem nails I just charge extra for it. Means shellac can suit most people's nails and last the guided time.

There is a lot of info on here about Brisa gel which is the same system as shellac- I will be starting to use this once I have used up my balance gel.

You can also use hard gels in various colour for extending the nails either with a nail form or with tips. The same removal process applies (if using nsi I'm not sure if brisa needs buffed off or soaked off) hth x

twitter@iwantextensions

Thank you

I do have Brisa Lite Smoothing gel to use under shellac if needed. I am just struggling to understand why someone would want a hard gel french if they aren't particulary concerned with adding length. Is it purely for strength?

Yes I only ever use my hard gel for strength. If the client wants length too then I extend with acrylic- that is just my preference but of course from what I understand I'd that with the hard gel you are using a lot of techs use it to extend. So you can give your client the option x

twitter@iwantextensions

Hi there, I love hard gel manicures. I come from Italy and there the hard gel is very popular and most girls want that instead than shellac or gelish and I don't understand why in the UK people don't use it more often, it's stronger than shellac/gelish, lasts longer, doesn't ruin the nail liken acrylics (I used it before giving birth for over 2 years with no stop and my nails were as strong as ever when I took it off! I took it off only because with a new baby I had no time to go to London to have it done as it's the only place I found that was doing hard gel :'() and it lasts a very long time. I normally have french polish and my nails last 6/7 or even 8 weeks! Once I also entered week 9, but at that point I got at least 2 nails per hand that broke. Yes, my regrowth is not fast at all...

but I can't find a place in the UK that does it except in London, so I have to use gelish in this country. Sad... :(

Hi All

Please excuse my complete lack of knowlege about nail systems in general. At the moment I only use Shellac and I have never done any kind of acrylic or extensions apart from briefly at college. I had a client asking for a gel manicure and from talking to her she means hard gel. Can I ask for more information about this system, does it extend the natural nail? Is it for people with extremely weak nails who cannot wear soft gel or shellac? Is it infilled or removed every time and how is it removed?
Thank you

I would explain what your trained in . You can't really offer a service that you dont know , or have available . X

Hi there, I love hard gel manicures. I come from Italy and there the hard gel is very popular and most girls want that instead than shellac or gelish and I don't understand why in the UK people don't use it more often, it's stronger than shellac/gelish, lasts longer, doesn't ruin the nail liken acrylics (I used it before giving birth for over 2 years with no stop and my nails were as strong as ever when I took it off! I took it off only because with a new baby I had no time to go to London to have it done as it's the only place I found that was doing hard gel :'() and it lasts a very long time. I normally have french polish and my nails last 6/7 or even 8 weeks! Once I also entered week 9, but at that point I got at least 2 nails per hand that broke. Yes, my regrowth is not fast at all...

but I can't find a place in the UK that does it except in London, so I have to use gelish in this country. Sad... :(

There are thousands of nail techs scattered all over the uk who offer a full range of products , including Hard gel ,

If you call sweet squared I'm sure they will be able to help you find a nail tech in your area , tel:084520210206060

I only do shellac at the moment but have a course booked to do hard gel in the new year. I personally would not wear it but I think if I an training to be a nail tech then I have to be able to offer a form of enhancement. My tutor had told me to order the nsi balance kit. Not looking forward to the removal process though :(

Looks like I need to move to Italy and be a nail tech there!
Loads of places do hard gel all overthe uk, but your right it's less widely used than acrylic or L&P. I live in London and nearly everywhere does it. Hard gel is still technically an acrylic, they are the same thing but in different forms basically.

Hard gel does have to be buffed off (CND brisa) you can file it really really thin and then soak the last little bit to avoid damage to the natural nail though.

Brisa lite smoothing and sculpting is soak off though. Smoothing is only designed to add strength and smooth imperfections under shellac, sculpting is used to length however if the person wants a lot of length then hard gel would be better.

People prefer hard gel for a number of reasons:

It's softer than acrylic, it doesn't smell, it can be applied very very thinly etc I personally prefer it but I do hate the removal process!

I would say don't use hard gel unless you have training! It looks quite easy to do but it's actually hard and many newbies have issues with them popping off whole, lifting etc

Why not Check out the courses with sweet squared?

Latest posts

Back