Hard gel overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara90

Reaction score
Hi all im trained in Gelish hard gel, I seem to be fine with the extensions but im having trouble with natural nail overlays, they seem to be popping off after a few days. This is my application:

Push back cuticle
Slightly buff nail
Cleanse
Ph bond
Pro bond
Apply hard gel
File/buff
2× color
Top coat

Am I doing something wrong?
TIA xx

I don't use Gelish hard gels only the soak off. However I normally have hard gel overlays on myself and clients, and use Crystal nails for that. I've never had any lifting or nails popping off but I am extremely meticulous with prep. I always have issues with Acrylic but I know it's because I'm rubbish at it and apply too thick at the cuticles. My gel application is much better and that is why I don't have issues.

Are you applying your overlay too thick in the back? How thorough are you with your prep? After care also matters, do you know more about those nails popping and the client's lifestyle?

If you have any pictures of your work, especially some good views of those nails that pop out send them in, With more information I'm sure other Geeks would be able to help!

Dont forget to use your base coat with the polish x

Try and push the cuticle area as far back as possible . ... do 2 thin coats of gel overlay.... thin.... and do not get any gel whatsoever on the cuticle area... even the smallest little bit will cause lifting... also apply it extreamly thin around the cuticle area.....
Other than that i can see why they would lift.... maybe do 2 thin coats instead of 1 thicker coat....

I really do believe that hard gel overlays aren't for everyone. I have never been able to keep them without chip, crack, break etc. for more than a few days and this is over several tries with different brands, myself doing the application and other nail techs.

Dont forget to use your base coat with the polish x

Try and push the cuticle area as far back as possible . ... do 2 thin coats of gel overlay.... thin.... and do not get any gel whatsoever on the cuticle area... even the smallest little bit will cause lifting... also apply it extreamly thin around the cuticle area.....
Other than that i can see why they would lift.... maybe do 2 thin coats instead of 1 thicker coat....

When applying gel or l&P you then don't need to use a base coat x

Hi all im trained in Gelish hard gel, I seem to be fine with the extensions but im having trouble with natural nail overlays, they seem to be popping off after a few days. This is my application:

Push back cuticle
Slightly buff nail
Cleanse
Ph bond
Pro bond
Apply hard gel
File/buff
2× color
Top coat

Am I doing something wrong?
TIA xx

When I apply hard gel I apply it in layers, & I was taught to apply a thin layer of clear gel as a base before applying your pink or whatever colour you are using after. Remember you still need to think about product placement to create your apex, making sure it's in the right place, & make it nice & flush at the cuticle too. Don't just think about it as "apply hard gel" layers create the right look for a hard-wearing realistic looking nail that lasts! Also as a couple of side notes..... don't "buff" the nail, as you don't want it shiny, just refine & smooth ready for you to apply your colour! And lastly apply your bond very sparingly as too much can cause chemical lifting which could also be a contributing factor for your nails just "popping off!" HTH x

When applying gel or l&P you then don't need to use a base coat x
In the op the lady said 2x colour then top coat..... im assuming she means gel polish.... i always use a base coat with jel polish... but not if applying coloured hard gels xx

In the op the lady said 2x colour then top coat..... im assuming she means gel polish.... i always use a base coat with jel polish... but not if applying coloured hard gels xx
Hi sorry yes it is gel polish I used but when I trained I was told to go straight to gel polish after the clear hard gel x

I don't use Gelish hard gels only the soak off. However I normally have hard gel overlays on myself and clients, and use Crystal nails for that. I've never had any lifting or nails popping off but I am extremely meticulous with prep. I always have issues with Acrylic but I know it's because I'm rubbish at it and apply too thick at the cuticles. My gel application is much better and that is why I don't have issues.

Are you applying your overlay too thick in the back? How thorough are you with your prep? After care also matters, do you know more about those nails popping and the client's lifestyle?

If you have any pictures of your work, especially some good views of those nails that pop out send them in, With more information I'm sure other Geeks would be able to help!

I tried posting a pic but the salongeek app keeps freezing on me. It could be my prep I'm only starting out with hard gel so im very concious of my timing But will take extra care with prep and see if it makes a difference x

I tried posting a pic but the salongeek app keeps freezing on me. It could be my prep I'm only starting out with hard gel so im very concious of my timing But will take extra care with prep and see if it makes a difference x
I've heard the app crashing for some geeks on here. If you can access the forum on a computer you should be able to upload one.

Let us know how you get on!

I have realised with gel just one bit of skin, fluff or dust on the nail plate and it will lift/ pop right off, now when I dehydrate after prep I look very closely and you can see the little dry bits if skin on the nail near the cuticle if there are any so have a good look and you might be surprised what's left on there x

Latest posts

Back