Hard gel removal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollysRose

Reaction score
Just curious as to how you manage to remove hard gel without filing the clients skin.

I previously used soak off gel but I've found a hard gel that I love, only problem is every time I remove them I end up filing my clients skin (lucky only practising on family at the moment). I keep practising on myself and my nail trainer but the only time I didn't catch the skin was when I didn't remove it all.

I've even considered getting an e-file because it's smaller but I don't think I could afford a good one with training, and I'm obviously not going to buy a cheap one with no training!

Any tips please??

You need to pull the lateral folds of skin away from the nail so you don't file the skin. Its a basic skill you should have been taught in training. I often put my finger in the way if necessary to protect the client. Endure you remove the sharp edges from the abrasive too

I was taught with soak off gels, we never covered removal of hard gel. I do pull the lateral folds back, it's the skin near the bottom of the nail and the eponychium that I always seem to catch.

Have you tried covering the eponochium with your thumb when holding clients finger in place? I remove hard gels with a file and don't have this problem because I cover it so the file can't touch the skin. I hate removing it with a file though I'm thinking of trying out a soft gel x

I wasn't taught to score the edges of the files and this really helps! Another tech told me and it was so helpful.
Every new file use an old file to run down the sharp sides. It means no sharp edges.

Just curious as to how you manage to remove hard gel without filing the clients skin.

I previously used soak off gel but I've found a hard gel that I love, only problem is every time I remove them I end up filing my clients skin (lucky only practising on family at the moment). I keep practising on myself and my nail trainer but the only time I didn't catch the skin was when I didn't remove it all.

I've even considered getting an e-file because it's smaller but I don't think I could afford a good one with training, and I'm obviously not going to buy a cheap one with no training!

Any tips please??

I use ibd extreme, I protect my clients skin with my own fingers, I would hurt myself before them.

Remove the length off the enhancement (if it isnt just a natural overlay) and then file down a majority of the thickness until it becomes an overlay, and then bring them in every week or so for a manicure so you can maintain their cuticles, and also give them a nail file so they can remove length as they grow out if you please! Hope I helped :)

Have you tried covering the eponochium with your thumb when holding clients finger in place? I remove hard gels with a file and don't have this problem because I cover it so the file can't touch the skin. I hate removing it with a file though I'm thinking of trying out a soft gel x
Bless you,
Your thinking of trying sift gel;
I've trained in that; yet I'm interested in hard gelWe're never 100%happy are we

Bless you,
Your thinking of trying sift gel;
I've trained in that; yet I'm interested in hard gelWe're never 100%happy are we
Haha I know! I have come around to hard gel a lot more now with more practice it is very long lasting x

Latest posts

Back