Hard skin around nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sHawl

Reaction score
Hi all,
When I was younger I wanted my nails to grow, so to stop biting them I decided to bite the skin around them instead. Stupid move. Anyway, due to repetitive nibbling I now have hard lumps of skin around my nail that I just want gone! :(
Anyone have anything to help?
Thanks guys :) x

Hi all,
When I was younger I wanted my nails to grow, so to stop biting them I decided to bite the skin around them instead. Stupid move. Anyway, due to repetitive nibbling I now have hard lumps of skin around my nail that I just want gone! :(
Anyone have anything to help?
Thanks guys :) x

So that’s a tuff one. I’m sad to say but sounds like you have scar tissue that has developed around your nails.

Your body like in any function will protect itself and with you repeated nibbles it’s reaction is to thicken and harden the skin so it will be more difficult and protect from what’s going on.

I would have to tell you to talk to a dermatologist about your options. In my experience it can be made to look somewhat better with continued care, but it won’t go fully away. But like I said a dermatologist would be able to answer this better than me.

What I have seen is nail and skin biters who have been clients and go for regular manicures and are good with cuticle oil and massaging it in the skin around the nail experience some reduced hardness and swelling. But that’s been over long periods of time. So there is hope for improvement, but you need to start treating your fingertips right and also not to often. You must massage and use oil, but don’t mess around with to much pushing and no cutting with nippers what so ever.

Hope you get something out of this and good luck [emoji4]

I’d recommend booking into a reputable salon and treat yourself to a luxury manicure.
They aren’t expensive and you’ll be surprised at how good your nails and hands will look afterwards.
It’s also an opportunity to let the nail tech see your skin and you can ask any questions you have and get the appropriate aftercare advice.

Latest posts

Back