Hard times

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailfairy

Reaction score
I have really hit on hard times this week. Just been ssssooooo quiet for the last 3-4 weeks, this week has topped them all. Bit of hairdressing but only 2 sets of rebalances all week:(
Is it me or is everyone like this/??

I know its getting near xmas/party season.
People have been phoning but its like they want me to travel 20 miles+ to do there nails, but i only charge £12.50 at mo for infills so i would be working for nothing. Had quite a few people from away wanting to come to me so i am siteing a log cabin in the garden in anticcipation<<(not sure of spelling) of lots of work soon.

Is anyone else this slow or is it just in rainy lincolnshire????
Also what radius do all you mobile techs work???

I'm finding myself really rushed off my feet 1 week and slow the next..! Im hoping that with xmas comming it will pick up. Im in sunny Bournemouth and its the same here too :wink2:

nailfairy said:
I have really hit on hard times this week. Just been ssssooooo quiet for the last 3-4 weeks, this week has topped them all. Bit of hairdressing but only 2 sets of rebalances all week
Is it me or is everyone like this/??

I know its getting near xmas/party season.
People have been phoning but its like they want me to travel 20 miles+ to do there nails, but i only charge £12.50 at mo for infills so i would be working for nothing. Had quite a few people from away wanting to come to me so i am siteing a log cabin in the garden in anticcipation<<(not sure of spelling) of lots of work soon.

Is anyone else this slow or is it just in rainy lincolnshire????
Also what radius do all you mobile techs work???

For me it's always slow. But then i've only one handful of cleints. Maybe I should advertise, lol. But for now it's about all I can do to fit in with all my other running around i'm doing!

We are finding it frightening slow both upstairs in nails and beauty, and downstairs in the hair salon, and when you walk past the other local salons they are empty too. I am just praying that it WILL pick up for Christmas, but at the mo biz is down by at least 50% on last year, in fact haven't been this quiet for 3 years when I started on my own.

I think most peeps are being hit by rising interest rates, reached their credit limit on their cards, and are just hard up at the mo, and with Christmas looming they are just holding on to what cash they have.

Last week we were quite busy, typical as Kelly is on hols, so turned away some biz, but this week quiet again. Next week I am only in for 2 days and fully booked for those.

So, no hun, it's nt just you.

Donna....Dont worry Hun.....Its just a funny old time. I rent a room above a long established, busy hair salon (been going for around 15 years or more!) and even the hair salon owner said how quiet it is at this time of year! :irked:
I guess also, that judging by the weather here in the West Midlands.....some people might not have their flippers or waterproofs handy to make their appointments!!!!!!! :D
It hasnt stopped for HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

hiya

i am in your area and yes it has been really slow the last couple of weeks :zzz: . I am hair, beauty , nails and tanning and its been slow on all fronts. We are normally packed all the time! It is a little worrying but having spoken to other salon owners in the area and my reps they say everyone is the same! Not much comfort i know but at least you know its nothing you are doing or not doing! Aparantly all the shops in town are down on the same time last year too. Chin up its picking up now! :wink2:

soooo quiet ... wasnt full anyway this week then had 2 cancellations so by the time I paid my rent and product this week I had enough left for some petrol to Asda and a pizza and a pack of toffee muffins which I am now scoffin' with a mug of tea curled up infront of tv .. ah life not all bad is it :)
You also need flipppers and snorkel here in sunny salford ... its foul!
chin up girls n guys can only get better

Jo xx

Yep, defo a quiet time for me and the hair salon I rent from too!

Hoping to pick up for party season soon...probably another quiet 4 weeks then it will be go go go!

Expect a quiet period in Jan/Feb too.

well sorry gals but have to say that i am pleased im not the only one!! ;)

Yeah i guess xmas only round the corner so brushes at the ready £££££££:D

It's a slow season here too in the US. Most of us are living off of our regular clients (Thank God for them!) , and fall bridal parties. Thanksgiving, and X-mas is INSANELY busy here! I'm, actually enjoying the lull before it gets mad again. I try to use my quiet time to take classes, read, or enjoy time with my family.

Yes, it has been slow for us in October too, but things picking up again now. We used the time to plan our Xmas packages, did a stocktake and ordered in stock for Xmas. But October has been unusually quiet this year.

ive been a little slow recently too, but the funny thing was the other week i had a half day and a quite saturday but i made more money that week than normal....lol
i think things are just starting to pick up for me now...i know everything will be manic by christmas......lol

Jess
xox

My Salon Does Beauty/sunbed/nails/spray Tan, After A Really Busy Summer From The 1st Oct Everything Went Dead. I Have Been On The Verge Of Giving It All Up And Then This Friday And Saturday It Got Really Busy. I Had To Work Late Both Days!! Still Worrying Though Hardly Anything Booked In Next Week
Suexx

I am using the quiet time to sort out christmas, sad i know :o But already the week before christmas is nearly fully booked. so i am trying to be organised :lol: :lol: Such a rare thing for me! It always kind of creeps up on me, next thing i know i have a house full of people wanting christmas dinner and presents....and they don't sell much at the local garage on a christmas morning! okay, i'm not quite that bad....honest!

Sue that's exactly what happened to us, ticking along quite happily as normal, and then it was like the Marie Celeste and has been since. A few really busy days, but on the whole business has dried up, and when I look in the other nail and hair salons in Fareham they are the same (thank god in a way because i'd be really panicking if they were all busy and I wasn't).

Anyway used the time to decorate my new permanent makeup room and it looks great. Oh and loads of nail art samples, just got to put them on a display board now. ANd started to think about Christmas displays. So I'm fed up with thinking now, and just need some more clients!!

SUEM said:
My Salon Does Beauty/sunbed/nails/spray Tan, After A Really Busy Summer From The 1st Oct Everything Went Dead. I Have Been On The Verge Of Giving It All Up And Then This Friday And Saturday It Got Really Busy. I Had To Work Late Both Days!! Still Worrying Though Hardly Anything Booked In Next Week
Suexx

Crikey ladies......it sounds like I'm a bit of a lucky one! This time last year, boy was it slow (pretty much all year actually!). However, now into my 2nd year and business has really picked up. No lows and just extra highs. I'm so relieved that I've seen the hard times through (although I'm sure there will be more!!) and am now starting to enjoy the rewards.

Bildeston is a little village 25mins from Ipswich and 30mins from Colchester so for me to be enjoying good business at this time of year is just great.

Ladies I totally empathise with you and from what you are all saying it is pretty much nationwide.........however, needless to say once those little lovelies start thinking about partying you'd better have your god damn seatbelts fastened!!!:eek:

lots of hugs
Adele

its nice to know we arn't the only ones, training is ok, but clients are saving their pennies, to spend with us in Nov-Dec - we hope.
I keep telling my girls to enjoy it while they can, because they will be winging in a couple of weeks time, I just have to hope the bank manager is understanding. I keep telling him last year it was the same. I seem to remember have this same conversation every year at this time of year..

Latest posts

Back