Hard to gel polish free edge on short nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trops

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm looking for some help with capping the free edge using gel polish (I use Gelish) on short nails.

I'm hoping some people can tell me if the following is true:
  • If I push the skin back and cap the free edge, once I let go of the skin, will it ruin the 'capping'? and therefore not create a great seal?
  • Is it true that some people use a nail form to separate the skin from the free edge on short nails? and if so, what is the process?
  • Do you find that clients with short nails have less wear than say, someone with longish nails, and if so, should I be warning them of this?
Thanks in advance.

The problem with short nails is its very hard to properly seal the edge because of this it usually leads to the service not lasting. You do have to warn them that the service might not last as long as normal but their next application will be better as there will be more free edge. Some techs use nail forms to help seal the edge but I find that gently pulling the skin down and away from the edge is easier and less faff. I don't find it ruins the edge but because i always warn them about the service not lasting, i don't get too concerned about it. Just do your best to seal and give them a warning, it's all you can do for short nails.

Thanks for your reply! Ok that's great advice, I'll make sure to let clients know about this!

That video is great but I wouldn't call those nails problematically short tbh. I get people wanting shellac with nails a fair bit shorter ... Maybe I should just be saying no to them or insist on doing an overlay in l&p until they've grown up.

Latest posts

Back