Has anyone done a fair with positive results?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen889

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been approached by a local mommy group to attend their fun fair in October this year. It's mainly for families and the kids, the price for a booth (they supply a table, table coverings and chairs.) is £140. It's a very large fair with over 1,000 people that attended last year. They only allow one business per category so i would be the only spa.It would be great as i am launching new princess parties and services this summer but I'm not sure about it as I've never done this type of thing before.

Has anyone done any fair and made their money back? what were your experiences?

I did my first one last Saturday - there are pros and cons it depends know what you want to get out of the fair, doing treatments? Data capture? Brand awareness?
I'm my view the one I did wasn't worth me taking the Saturday out of the salon to attend the fair(had it of been a Sunday or another quieter day I wouldn't of minded so much)
I was doing nails on the day and took my hubby to do the data capture side for me - so hopefully new leads to new clients but 140 is alot of money to spend mine was only £10 and I still lost out money in the short term cause of the day out of salon, I'm just hoping the leads will pay off.

Hope this helps xx

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

This will be a Sunday 9-5pm. I'm hoping to get more awareness for my spa as its a fairly new location. I'm also hoping for some emails to add to my mailing list. I would take my employee with me as one of us can do treatments and the other can grab attention, get data etc.

I know that 140 is a lot this is why I'm debating it. Its being held at a hotel, the event organizers are also doing a ton of promotion for it so I'm guessing this is why its high in price.

Wow £140!!!!!!! I've done loads of fairs over the last 13 years. Some have asked for 10% of my takings, others for £10.00, that sort of thing. I've hardly ever made much profit at them. People take your flyer to be polite. I've never, ever had a call from anyone who attended a fair they saw me at. And believe me, I have a nice big happy client base. They certainly don't come from fairs.

Wow £140!!!!!!! I've done loads of fairs over the last 13 years. Some have asked for 10% of my takings, others for £10.00, that sort of thing. I've hardly ever made much profit at them. People take your flyer to be polite. I've never, ever had a call from anyone who attended a fair they saw me at. And believe me, I have a nice big happy client base. They certainly don't come from fairs.

This is why I'm debating it. I've been gaining my clientele and doing other forms of advertising that have been working well for this area. A part of me is saying no because of the price and a part of me is saying yes, but only because its family oriented and I'm launching princess parties and kid services this summer. It might be a good way of getting to a lot of parents in one place.

We have done large, well organised wedding fairs with great results. We did a couple free in exchange for doing the models make up and we have done one where we paid around what you're paying. With organisation, we got a lot of work from it.

We took email addresses of those interested and offered 10% discount for those who mentioned the fair on booking. If they booked their trial there and then we also did a good price.

Unless you try, you won't know. It may be the start of something really big for your business, especially if you're doing demos etc on the day. People love a bit of theatre. You're also not just selling the children's pamper parties, you will be seen by all those mum's.

Sometimes it's hard to know what works promotion wise. We now ask on our consultation forms "How did you hear about us? " because we advertise regularly and you can never be sure where people have come from. We have had a sudden influx of new clients so our longterm advertising is hitting the spot.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone! I decided to go ahead and do the fair. I'll be doing glitter polish applications and, maybe, chair massages.

Just getting organized now as I will be purchasing a few things to make my "booth" stand out. I'm actually very excited, its something new. :)

Latest posts

Back