Has anyone else started a new career in nails, am I mad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love these comments!! I'm moving from 14 years in the finance industry to beauty & nails!! Already have a little client base & people requesting business cards!!! Hope I succeed and can be my own boss eeek!! :)

I've noticed you've commented on lots of threads.
I did the same and would advise it takes time.
Use professional products, not copies, as your clients can buy them themselves. It might seem cheap and it is.
Decide where you want your service to be, cheap and cheerful with cancellations, no shows or a professional products and service which will take time to build but you'll get there.

Just starting my training with Gelish after spending years in an office! I am starting up my business and putting the word out there :) Scary stuff but so exciting!!

Good luck!

Omg am I on here that much haha.

Yeah I'm using and have been using for almost 2years CND Shellac, Gellux & Cuccio all from a genuine suppliers. (With the exception of a few RNK gels which I ordered following some positive comments on here, not keen though have taken a lot of feedback onboard on this subject :-/ (Im sure you saw the RNK post! Lol)

Thank you so much, I love doing nails & beauty! Want to move onto a CND extension Course next ready for when I'm made redundant from my job of 11years in the next few months X

Last edited:
Aww man. Redundancy sucks - but one door shuts and another opens! Wish you all the best in new adventures :)

I started at 40 after over years working in Merchant Banking.

What I would honestly say is that it takes time to build up. I only work 2 days and 4 evenings a week and am now full with a wait list most of the time. If I worked full time I'd be twiddling my thumbs a lot although my son goes to school in September so I might start advertising again in August.

If I was relying on it for income I'd advise having a part time job somewhere else whilst you build up your business.

I know it's not beauty but my mum trained as a radiographer at age 40, 20 years ago. If she can do any anyone can. I'm super proud of her x

Hi! I'm on my 3rd career and decided at 50+++ to become a nail tech. I'm a CND gel nail tech. Just finished master sculptor course yesterday (Brisa gel). Loving it and opening a home based studio this month. Built a salon quality studio in my home. You're never too old to do anything as long as you've got your health and the determination to succeed. It's not an easy process but I'm doing something I really enjoy. Best of luck to you and the rest of us who are following our mani dreams

Hi All... :D .. I just found my way here and am having a blast looking and learning about all the things to do... WOW!!!!!!

k, off I go to play and read... :D
I agree with stook on this. Just cos clientele takes a while to build up, and the clients you get in the beggining might not stay with you. I found this simply because I wasn't experienced enough and my nails weren't as good quality as I would have liked so I did them cheaper and its down to practice. Didn't have many re-book in the beginning. I still only do nails ontop of my normal office job so haven't put as much effort into finding clients as I would if it was my main income though xxx

Latest posts

Back