Has anyone ever tried ‘beefing up’ stamping polishes with mica powders?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison Pilkington-Child

Reaction score
I have a few that are nice but just don’t have the necessary opacity. Rather than throw them in the bin I have a mind to experiment.

I have a good number of fine mica powders that are very highly pigmented, a little goes a long way. So I’m just wondering if I couldn’t use my wishy-washy stamping polishes as a base to make some awesome custom stamping colours.

I’m fairly sure the chemistry would work as mica is pretty much inert. But how to mix a batch and rebottle it, that’s the tricky bit. Then would the mica settle?

Hmmmmmm....

I have a few that are nice but just don’t have the necessary opacity. Rather than throw them in the bin I have a mind to experiment.

I have a good number of fine mica powders that are very highly pigmented, a little goes a long way. So I’m just wondering if I couldn’t use my wishy-washy stamping polishes as a base to make some awesome custom stamping colours.

I’m fairly sure the chemistry would work as mica is pretty much inert. But how to mix a batch and rebottle it, that’s the tricky bit. Then would the mica settle?

Hmmmmmm....

Totally works, buy some mixing ball bearings from eBay and away you go. You can buy empty polish bottles too for smaller amount experiments

Totally works, buy some mixing ball bearings from eBay and away you go. You can buy empty polish bottles too for smaller amount experiments

Yay, I have these things! I’ll be fascinated to see what comes up, I just hope I don’t get RSI with all that shaking and mixing! Do you just put some mica powder in a bottle and add the polish after or do you need to do strange things with pipettes etc?

Yay, I have these things! I’ll be fascinated to see what comes up, I just hope I don’t get RSI with all that shaking and mixing! Do you just put some mica powder in a bottle and add the polish after or do you need to do strange things with pipettes etc?

I just added the mica to an old polish, tiny bit at a time, remember you can always add but never take out. Sometimes needed some clear too just to add more volume so the mica could move more but no pippettes needed

I just added the mica to an old polish, tiny bit at a time, remember you can always add but never take out. Sometimes needed some clear too just to add more volume so the mica could move more but no pippettes needed

Brilliant, can’t wait to give it a go now.

Make sure the mixing beads are stainless steel. If the beads are zinc coated, it can cause discoloration in polish.

Latest posts

Back