Has anyone had this problem with 18G?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloughers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my new 18G lamp for a couple of weeks and I love it, but today I did a client and it wouldn't turn on! It did the base coat and then the sensors didn't seem to be working and we both tried putting our hands in and out, turning it off and on again and eventually got it to cure the colour coats but it was very erratic. After that my top coat cured on my brush again because I'm working in my conservatory! What a nightmare! I emailed Nail Harmony and the lady said to check the wires are in the transformer right but I can't see how that would affect the sensors (not that I'm an electrician or anything!). I did a friend on Saturday and we were chatting and when I topcoated her the colour was going on my brush and I now think that when her hand was in the lamp it didn't cure as it sometimes comes on and counts down about 5 seconds then switches off without beeping and I think that's what it's done and I didn't notice. Not very happy as it's not exactly a cheap lamp and I didn't expect it to go wrong, especially not after 2 weeks and about 5 clients! :(

oh wow, that's horrible!
I would contact distributor....I would imagine it's still under warranty if you've only got it 2 weeks ago.

I was advised by an educator that you can re-set the harmony led lamps - this sounds like to type of thing you would use re-set. I'm afraid I've no idea how to do it but there was a suggestion on covering the sensor/s before turning it on.

Definitely something for the distributor.

I would contact Harmony as your lamp is so new, it should not be going wrong. My lamp (which I love) came with no instruction manual, but if you ring Harmony they will email one to you. One question, is it plugged directly into the socket or are you using an extension lead? Apparently the power is affected if you use an extension lead (according to the manual).

I would contact Harmony as your lamp is so new, it should not be going wrong. My lamp (which I love) came with no instruction manual, but if you ring Harmony they will email one to you. One question, is it plugged directly into the socket or are you using an extension lead? Apparently the power is affected if you use an extension lead (according to the manual).

Hi JuicyLucy, I didn't get a manual either which is a bit rubbish isn't it! I've tried it in the mains and with an extension lead and the same problem. It's as if the sensors aren't working. My lady this morning kept putting her hand in and out and it just didn't come on, then it did and counted down to about 25 and just turned off and the display went back to saying 30 seconds. Very strange, I thought it might be that the table with a towel on top wasn't flat enough and was affecting the sensors but then I took the towel away and it still wouldn't work. I also used my hand in case she wasn't putting her hand in far enough but it still didn't come on. I thought maybe if she moved slightly in the lamp it might affect the sensor and turn off as if her hand had been taken out but she didn't move at all and it just turned off! I'm a bit peeved as I emailed this morning and the only response I've had is about checking the wires in the transformer aren't stiff?? I personally think they should have been straight on the phone and sending me out a new lamp..... :confused:

Ring them, to be fair to Harmony, their customer service is usually excellent. Speak to Jason or Georgie.

Ring them, to be fair to Harmony, their customer service is usually excellent. Speak to Jason or Georgie.

I rang this morning and the answerphone message said they were busy and to call back later so I sent an email to Jason and had a reply from Claire telling me to push the wires in at the transformer. I emailed back to say the electric isn't a problem but have had no response yet. :confused:

at my training we were told about re-setting the lamp, as GillyT mentioned.
There are some small button things near the sensors that you need to press and hold. Sorry cant help any more than that as Im still saving towards my lamp, but trained 2 weeks ago so its all still fresh lol
xx

Sent my lamp back earlier to b checked and just chopped a nail and had to do with my UV..... This is why LED is the way forward. Sitting here for 10 mins to do 1 nail instead of 3 mins!

My 18g did something similar last week, no matter how many times I put my hand in and out it wouldnt come on so I switched it off at the mains and back on again and was ok, also mine sometimes counts down to about 15 secs then clicks back to 30 secs and starts again but im wondering if clients are moving their hands which then starts the timer over again.

Im keeping a close eye on it cos as you say its too expensive not to work properly!

My 18g did something similar last week, no matter how many times I put my hand in and out it wouldnt come on so I switched it off at the mains and back on again and was ok, also mine sometimes counts down to about 15 secs then clicks back to 30 secs and starts again but im wondering if clients are moving their hands which then starts the timer over again.

Im keeping a close eye on it cos as you say its too expensive not to work properly!

Hi Kattyj, that's made me feel better, I thought it was just me going mad! That sounds exactly the same problem as I'm having! I think the sensors are really sensitive and the client only has to move and they switch it off. The main problem for me was it took ages switching it on and off etc to get it to come on at all and the client then had bits all over her nails which had 2 colour coats on.....

Hi!!

My 18g does something similar, if i'm somewhere bright (like a conservatory) and there is sunlight shining into the lamp then the sensors don't pick up when the client puts their hand in - it usually works fine if I shut the movable shield section or angle the lamp away from windows.

I've only ever had count downs stopping and starting when the client moves in the lamp or doesn't have their hand flat inside the lamp.

I had never heard of extension leads causing any issue though so i'm a bit concerned now!!!

Hope your lamp gets sorted soon!!

Hi all,

Sorry I've not been on here for ages....but if you ever need me, please do email me [email protected]

Re the 18G LED:
Make sure the sensors haven't been disabled. To disable the sensor:
Unplug lamp by pulling lead out of the back of the LED.
Place one hand under the lamp and plug it back in (keeping the hand in)
Sensor will now NOT sense the hand when it is placed under, and will ONLY switch on with buttons on the back (5, 20 or 30 second buttons).

To RE ACTIVATE sensor, simply unplug and plug back in.

The reason we have this facility is for those using Gelish Hard Gels when sculpting as the sculpting form stops the sensor from picking up the fingers. So it's better to just disable the sensor & switch it on with the buttons.

The other problem some have had is the sensor not finishing all its allocated time (i.e. stopping after 25 seconds). This is when the fingers move, it will automatically think the hand has been taken out and stop itself, then if the hand moves again, it re starts.

You need to educate your clients to keep fingers very still.
Some additional pointers:

DO NOT PUSH FINGERS TOO FAR TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE LED
DO NOT SPREAD FINGERS TOO FAR APART
ENSURE FINGERS ARE AS FLAT AND STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE

Just so you know, we have only ever had 1 faulty 18G LED, and this was an electrical fault. All other problems have been exactly the same as what has been mentioned on this thread, and all have been solved with these simple instructions.

And for the instructions notes, please click on the link, and it is the last two images under the large 18G Image:
18G LED LAMP Essentials Multi System

I hope this helps, and as I mentioned, since I very rarely get a chance to get on here and answer questions, please do feel free to email me should you need to.

Georgie xx

Hi all,

Sorry I've not been on here for ages....but if you ever need me, please do email me [email protected]

Re the 18G LED:
Make sure the sensors haven't been disabled. To disable the sensor:
Unplug lamp by pulling lead out of the back of the LED.
Place one hand under the lamp and plug it back in (keeping the hand in)
Sensor will now NOT sense the hand when it is placed under, and will ONLY switch on with buttons on the back (5, 20 or 30 second buttons).

To RE ACTIVATE sensor, simply unplug and plug back in.

The reason we have this facility is for those using Gelish Hard Gels when sculpting as the sculpting form stops the sensor from picking up the fingers. So it's better to just disable the sensor & switch it on with the buttons.

The other problem some have had is the sensor not finishing all its allocated time (i.e. stopping after 25 seconds). This is when the fingers move, it will automatically think the hand has been taken out and stop itself, then if the hand moves again, it re starts.

You need to educate your clients to keep fingers very still.
Some additional pointers:

DO NOT PUSH FINGERS TOO FAR TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE LED
DO NOT SPREAD FINGERS TOO FAR APART
ENSURE FINGERS ARE AS FLAT AND STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE

Just so you know, we have only ever had 1 faulty 18G LED, and this was an electrical fault. All other problems have been exactly the same as what has been mentioned on this thread, and all have been solved with these simple instructions.

And for the instructions notes, please click on the link, and it is the last two images under the large 18G Image:
18G LED LAMP Essentials Multi System

I hope this helps, and as I mentioned, since I very rarely get a chance to get on here and answer questions, please do feel free to email me should you need to.

Georgie xx

Hi Georgie,

Very helpful. Thanks. :D

Hi,
I just wanted to say thank you so much for this thread! I was having problems with my 18G Gelish lamp on Thursday, I couldn't work out why it would work sometimes & not at other times during that day, and this thread was a massive help! It was the sunlight! Who'd have thought it would have had that much of an affect on the lamp. Today it is working perfectly, and is out of direct sunlight!!! Thank you so much, I was thinking I was going to have to buy a new lamp x

Latest posts

Back