Has anyone heard of .....?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of BSY Group? They offer home learn courses for Beauticians and are associated with BABTAC. You have to do a day of practical assesment with them to get your qualification (A BSY Diploma which entitles you to use certain letters after your name).
My friend is adamant that she wants to do this course, but I am a little sceptical. It's £200.
Has anyone had any dealings with them?

jester said:
Has anyone heard of BSY Group? They offer home learn courses for Beauticians and are associated with BABTAC. You have to do a day of practical assesment with them to get your qualification (A BSY Diploma which entitles you to use certain letters after your name).
My friend is adamant that she wants to do this course, but I am a little sceptical. It's £200.
Has anyone had any dealings with them?
Hi, I have heard of them before but I have to say, I don't know of anyone who went ahead with it - it's a correspondence course, though you attend for a "practical" and yes, certainly you get to use initials after your name "BSY (B.bs.)" after obtaining their BSY Diploma but of what value, if any, this has out there in the beauty field, I have no idea! Quite honestly, I would seriously advise your friend to stick to the tried and tested educational establishments where you receive a qualification that will be recognised and accepted for employment and insurance purposes. Yes, £200 is very cheap for a Beautician course and that makes me question it all the more.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help!

Hi know people that have studied with BSY for different courses and they enjoyed it and they were insured as well and I also did a course on Indian Head Massage. I found it professional and the training thorough. Everyone has different perspectives.

Sometimes its not always easy or practical for some people to full time or even part time training courses due to children etc. I personally looked and I couldnt find evening courses where I live and it was very frustrating. I can only speak for myself of course. I am sure I will be shot down in flames after this anyway.

i hnd i have to say have done a BSY course and i have to say they are very thorough however i did a course that was mainly knowledge based and not beauty treatments.
My friend was offered a position with them training students!
The trainer that i had was brilliant .......and i believe that she also taught the beauty side of things......yes you can do the theory side of things homelearn but you have to do a hell of alot of research on your own....the courses certainly are,nt easy and believe me if you are'nt competant at the practical assessment you will not pass!!
I certainly learned alot through BSY and i value their training at the money i paid but if you are going to do a beauty course then please don't think it will be a breeze doing it home learn!! Yes you have the back up of being able to ring the help line for advice but its the hands on experience that is needed and also to see a professional do it which you obviously won't until you go for the practical!!
I am probably being no help what so ever here!!!
I think your friend needs to look in to BSy and ensure that she will get the relevant qualifications that are needed to be able to work on clients and also that insurance policies will accept the qualification.
HTH
Amanda

Thanks guys. You are confirming my thoughts. I am really concerned that although she has plenty of friends to practice on how does she know she has the right technique etc. She needs to do it like this as she has three kids (all of which are below school age) and wants to get into the industry. Her husband works away a lot and she has the evenings to study and practice.

I suppose it's a good way to enter the profession and get an idea of what's involved and then when the kids are at school/nursery she could do a VTCT or something similar.
I'd still be interested if anyone else has any comments.
Thanks

If they're associated to BABTAC why not suggest she contacts them as they may well be able to give her a bit more advice.

Adele

Ok, she called BABTAC and they have said that it is a good course and that she will be able to get insurance through BSY and that she will be fully covered. (She HAS to do the practical day though)

I'm still not convinced, but I think she is!!!

I feel if BABTAC are saying they are good then thats fine by me as they are a professional association

Remote learning for for a hands on service? One day assessment? YOu do not want to hear my thoughts!

Geeg, your thoughts are probably the same as mine!!!!!!

I am tryin to talk her out of it, but she is adamant. Mind you she also thinks that I waste my time doing extra training courses as I "already did one last year"!

Oh well I'll keep trying to persuade her to wait and save some money and do a proper course.

geeg said:
Remote learning for for a hands on service? One day assessment? YOu do not want to hear my thoughts!
HMMMMMMMMMMMMmm but I can guess lol...........

Would you go to a dentist that had only done a home learn course with a one day practical assessment HMMMMMMMMMMM ??? And then tells ya, you will be fine, I did a great one day assessment on root canal filling........and have practices loads on my friends .....yea right !!!!!!!

A hairdresser that only did this course with one practical assessment ?????
Then tells you that her dummy head, even had a crown at the back and a cows lick at the front, so hey she will be great.......yea double right !!!!!..............

Ours is a hands on industry that needs hands on teaching..........
I am not being disrespectful to those that have difficulties in getting to colleges or other institutes that offer on hand real life training.........we all have to start some where.............

But I would disrespect those , that made this their only choice of training.....
Sorry guys but thats my personal oppinion...........so shoot me if you like, but not till I had my last Voddy and Orange lol.

Any course that is remote learning should be used as a stepping stone for further on hand courses............
What good is the use of letters after your name, if you can't do a good and decent re balance.....

Now if I was to do Information Technology study or Accountancy, yep fine, its all paperwork and PC work that can be assessed .......Even an airbrush course is brill, because the most dramatic thing that could happen is a clogged up airbrush.......even then someone might have to show you in real life how to get that blasted little trigger back into the gun without you bending your needle................

So home learn, self study courses area great, if you take them for what they are............

geeg said:

lol that made me laugh- i think im in agreement with you there geeg!

Ruth is right its great as a stepping stone to get some background knowledge but on the practical side you need some help on hand when you first start out just to see if your getting it right you can always practice your mistakes
but you'll never know where your going wrong if there isnt anyone there to help thats why is called training cos you are learning - you didnt go to school with no teacher there to teach you

Jess
xox

Latest posts

Back