Has anyone left beauty and pursued a different career?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrush

Reaction score
Hi there,
I currently rent a couple of rooms in a hairdressers and have been self employed since June 2015. I do mostly nails but offer other beauty treatments aswell. I love all of my clients and my job but lately I just feel so stressed about money and work.
I have only just moved to a new salon 2 months ago and I know that January and February are always quieter but I just can't stop worrying about it. I have just taken on a skincare line aswell and have had a lot of outgoings as a result of moving and taking on a new product line. I have done all of this with money I had saved up.
I feel like I'm at an awkward stage in my life where I am trying to save for a mortgage and want to start a family within the next couple years and just don't know if constantly stressing about clients/advertising/getting new clients is worth it to me. My partner has a good job and we both live at home but I don't want to have to rely on him all the time either.
I just want to know if at 27 it is too late to pursue a completely different career? As I don't think I could go back to working for someone else In the beauty industry.
I am going to give myself 6 more months and see how I feel then as I will be able to enrol in a night course at college in September. But I just want to know other people's thoughts on changing career?
My main problem is that I'm at a bit of an awkward age of saving for a mortgage and wanting to start a family and I just don't know if the situation I am in is going to be sustainable for me.
Also I know I should think worry about what other people think but I don't want to feel like a failure having started a business only to close it 2 years later.
If you have read this far thanks for sticking out this long post!
Any advice will be much appreciated.

It's a good question.

I'm in my late twenties and I have other options that aren't beauty and nails. Beauty is an awesome career for job satisfaction but it can become deflating in terms of the pay and the balance between job satisfaction vs financial compromise.

I massively believe that there is less of a career ladder for our generation to climb and that as a result of this, it's ok to move about when it comes to work. Beauty is more of a hobby for me at the moment and I don't regret that at all.

And as for enrolling in a night course at college in September, go for it. It has been through keeping my options open that I've become more informed about what I want to do. Doing courses in other things is a really good way to learn about yourself and what other things you could do for a job.

I've been self employed for 10 years now and have a mortgage and am pregnant so will give you my pro and cons.
I love beauty and nails and have enjoyed being self employed ( I have a room at home now) and have earnt good money doing it full time.

Getting a mortgage is hard when self employed as we look rubbish on paper so I was lucky that my husband earns good money and we were able to get one on his wage and mine was seen as a bonus. That was back in 2013 and I understand now the criteria has changed a bit so that may make it harder now.

Family wise it's been great so far to be able to reduce my hours to suit me and now that I am pregnant I have cut out doing certain treatments I can no longer manage while still being able to earn better money than I would do being employed. The downside is there are no guarantees clients will come back when I return to work and juggling a baby and working may be difficult.

I wouldn't have it any other way though as although many times I have thought about doing something else I just don't think I could go back to being employed now.

I hope that's helped a little and good luck with whatever you decide to do. Xx

I think I spent 10 years every March thinking I need a different career ! Self employed beauty in Jan/Feb is very anxious making, but you cannot beat it for flexibility with a young family. When my children were nursery age I did more anti social hours whilst my husband put the kids to bed. Now I work round school hours, book days out for holidays and juggle for events at school, that would be much more difficult working in an office for example. But you could do something part time along side that gives financial backup, when it's quiet.

I agree with littlekate. I am mobile and worked mainly evening when my youngest was pre school. I have a nine year old too. So now they are both at school I have the flexibility of taking them myself working till 3pm - then being able to finish at 3pm to pick them up. I must admit i would prefer regular clients during the day every week and then I wouldnt have to do as many evenings still. But I have been doing this (mobile) for 4 years and my clients love the convenience of having a spray tan/massage in the evening. Evenings really do keep my income going in the holidays when I try not to work so I don't need childcare for them.
There is no perfect job, but if money is tight then you are best looking for something like a little job to boost your income. I do cleaning for the elderly - so at least I have money to cover the weekly shop or something if work is quiet. But that's not everyone's cup of tea.
Believe me, when I'm lugging all my mobile stuff out of the car in the rain on a dark winters night, I dream of a 9-5pm job! But at the end of the day, I wouldn't see my kids, as I'd prob have to work a Saturday too.
Xx

I am 39 and just applied for a degree course to become a teacher. It's gonna be 4 years. I think unless you are in pension age it's never too late to change career.

You have literally just written my life haha! I'm 26 and in the same situation except I haven't rented a room yet but I'm also worrying about money and wanting to save for a mortgage. Once my outgoings have gone out there's literally nothing left. :(

What did you end up doing?

I trained in hair when I left school but started a singing career aged 27. I now teach voice, guitar, ukulele and regularly do session singing for other songwriters. I released a 2nd album last year and do a covers residency in a local restaurant. I split my time between hair and music with the music getting busier all the time I am allowed the luxury of being picky about my clients. It's never too late to change career. I still love hair, I like the variety, the freedom to be my own boss, the money, making people feel good about themselves, having them put their trust in you, being someone's confidant and stylist. I can't see me doing hair forever though, it's physically too tiring but I have several clients that tell me I am never allowed to stop doing their hair! Having a 2nd career is a good talking point too, my clients love to know what I'm up to with it and some have bought my album and come along to gigs or signed up for lessons.

I think all the above replies are good advice and great stories. I've been in the beauty business now for 24 years and I feels your pain. I worked for 4 years as a HCA in a big hospital when my kids were young and planned to do my nursing degree but eventually went back to beauty as I realised that all my training and experienced would go to wast and I'm so glad I came back.

When I was about your age and first self employed I got bored/ lonely/ frustrated with the biz so started teaching part time at college alongside working in the salon. That helped keep me motivated and focused and the moneys quite good too. Maybe that's something you could think about?

Latest posts

Back