Has anyone mobile taken on a helper?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
Hi, I just wondered if anyone who is mobile has taken on an employee before or got someone to work for them but on a self-employed basis?! How have you found it? I'm busy but want to cut down on the hours I do in the evening but hate saying no to clients so thought if I had a helper then I wouldn't have to. But not sure if this would work? It would just be to do spray tanning. Thanks

With you or without you?

Without me, so she can take on the appointments I can't fit in x

I have no idea how you'd make that work tbh, I'd be worried about her taking clients away and offering them a better deal, it's not like having an assistant who helps you out it's more subcontracting, how would you work out the money?

I had this idea once but when I thought about it I had the same thoughts as the above poster, in the end I had to face the fact that I couldn't always fit everyone in no matter how much I wanted to.

A friend of mine owns a cleaning company and she makes them sign something that says they will not carry out work for any of the customers for 1 year after they have left the cleaning company. Guess this is the only way to TRY and reduce them stealing my customers - not guaranteed tho. I have no idea if it would work which is why I was hoping someone had tried it and it did! X

A friend of mine owns a cleaning company and she makes them sign something that says they will not carry out work for any of the customers for 1 year after they have left the cleaning company. Guess this is the only way to TRY and reduce them stealing my customers - not guaranteed tho. I have no idea if it would work which is why I was hoping someone had tried it and it did! X

Just because they have signed it doesn't make it legally standing and also it depends if you want the hassle taking them to court!

Exactly, it's just a bit of a deterrent really but nothing to actually stop that person taking your business. But then I guess there's nothing to stop anyone from taking their employers business even in a salon. Probably just safer to stay on my own and turn people down during busy periods :(

Or just look at time management with afresh perspective maybe?

I'm sure there have been posts about this before, and the mobile therapist asking then gave up as it was too hard to monitor.

Your only option, to my mind, is to actually employ someone with a fixed wage but you could still get someone under cutting you or nicking your clientele!

Vic x

Another option is to put your prices up - the equilibrium of supply and demand will shift if you up the price and yes you will lose some customers but you will make more money for the time you have x

THANKYOU so much for your ideas. I don't feel I can increase my price as I charge £20 for a spray tan and I know lots of people round here charge £15 (some even £10 !).

My time management is excellent half an hour appointments for 1 person, 45 minutes for 2 people. Plus I now only cover my local town so don't spend loads of time travelling. Last year I was out till 10-11pm in the summer tanning people but decided this year I am not doing it because I was soooooo stressed out and even depressed at some point. Realised a lot of it was due to looking after children during the day doing house-wifey jobs then rushing out at 6.30 when husband got home, tanning everyone then coming home and everyone in the house asleep. Was just a bit rubbish. So now I don't work past 9pm I obviously can't fit in as many people but will just have to keep saying no to appointments. Which is really hard especially when you've built up a relationship with these people :(

If anyone suddenly thinks of an amazing way this could work please share!! Lol x

How old are your children? Maybe during school hours will be a option for you when their full time? I used to do mobile (hair) from 9.30 - 2.30 then 7pm till late I had to start off slowley because my school only did half day for nursery & reception as soon as they went full time tho there was no stopping me lol

My friend owns a business and employs someone to take on her extra load. She took her on from college then trained her and had her follow her for a year or until she felt comfortable. My friend only has the one beauty room but she was diagnosed with an illness and wanted to be able to step back in the future. Now she only works 1 day a week and the girl the rest. She is trustworthy and I think if a client is loyal they will always stay - if a client prefers someone else they would leave if a new mobile beauty therapist started. When I left the salon clients followed me (by ringing salons and asking if someone with my name had recently started) so you could loose clients at any time.

You have built your business on your own reputation and have worked very hard. The key here is finding an assistant that is trustworthy, has the same high standards as you do and is a colleague (in the true sense of the word). You need a clone of yourself really I would say!

One possible option could be thinking of people you know. Do you currently have a good friend who would fit this bill? someone who could get trained with the view of supporting you in the future? someone with the same values and outlook as yourself? That you could work alongside for a little while to build their confidence (after their training)?

Reading your post your client relationships are key and so this has to be someone that is like you! A friend might be worth considering.

Latest posts

Back