Has anyone seen nail polish that does this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St311ar

Reaction score
These are my clients toes after 3 weeks. The color has FADED~not rubbed off. The faded, almost see-through spots appeared on almost every toe but the big toes were more obvious. I used OPI "Dating a Royal," CND Sticky base coat and Seche Vite top coat. The top coat is still shiny but it's like the color polish disappeared from those areas...**Normally I use Lumos base/top but I had taken them home and forgot to bring them back! Oops!

I had also experienced these see-through spots with Gelish midnight caller once before on a clients Fingernails. I use the system as a whole (foundation/color/top it off) it's like the color just disappeared from these areas?

Both clients have thyroid issues...but I'm still confused on why this happens as one wears polish on her toes and the other wears Gelish on her nails.

Any ideas???

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315362786.689972.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315362786.689972.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 724
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315362848.522405.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315362848.522405.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
I honestly don't think the polish would have faded? It really does look rubbed, like maybe she was wearing closed shoes or something. Other than that, I have no idea! :|

I honestly don't think the polish would have faded? It really does look rubbed, like maybe she was wearing closed shoes or something. Other than that, I have no idea! :|

It was not rubbed off, maybe the picture doesn't show well but the top coat is still intact and shiny. The color has faded in the spots shown. **We are in southern California and she lives in flip-flops/thongs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I was arguing with you. Lol. No, I can't see the top coat in the picture. I have no clue! I've never seen, heard of, or experienced polish doing this. Especially OPI!

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I was arguing with you. Lol. No, I can't see the top coat in the picture. I have no clue! I've never seen, heard of, or experienced polish doing this. Especially OPI!

No worries! It is so bizarre! I am hoping someone might have an answer...

These are my clients toes after 3 weeks. The color has FADED~not rubbed off. The faded, almost see-through spots appeared on almost every toe but the big toes were more obvious. I used OPI "Dating a Royal," CND Sticky base coat and Seche Vite top coat. The top coat is still shiny but it's like the color polish disappeared from those areas...**Normally I use Lumos base/top but I had taken them home and forgot to bring them back! Oops!

I had also experienced these see-through spots with Gelish midnight caller once before on a clients Fingernails. I use the system as a whole (foundation/color/top it off) it's like the color just disappeared from these areas?

Both clients have thyroid issues...but I'm still confused on why this happens as one wears polish on her toes and the other wears Gelish on her nails.

Any ideas???

That is strange!?
Perhaps it's the combination of the different top, colour, and basecoat that did this?
Hopefully someone will be along with a cause/solution for you.
Rhiannon x

That is strange!?
Perhaps it's the combination of the different top, colour, and basecoat that did this?
Hopefully someone will be along with a cause/solution for you.
Rhiannon x

Thank you!

Could there have been anything under the polish that could of caused it not to adhere properly?? Like a residue or something? Coz you can see thw top coat is still shiny!! Very strange lol x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Could there have been anything under the polish that could of caused it not to adhere properly?? Like a residue or something? Coz you can see thw top coat is still shiny!! Very strange lol x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Could be but I sanitize the nail before using polish with scrub fresh.

This may sound silly but any chance it could be the sun fading the pigment?
I know this happens with things like tattoo's etc., so maybe it can happen with polish?
Also it could be the mixing of the brands, maybe there was a reaction?

I had this happen on a few people when I changed top and base coats. Not sure Why. Changed back to my original old faithful and no more problems! Not saying that's the case here.... But it was with mine.

Maybe mixing of brands with polish, but with gelish I used the system as a whole. Could be the sun. So puzzling!

Any ideas???

I wore Shellac pink sparkles on my toes for my summer hols in Tenerife and it faded slighlty - maybe if you live in the sunshine, that's the problem? I was in the pool a lot too? Just an idea xx

I put an OPI pink on my mums toes at the beginning of July and it has really really faded down but (other than growth) is still perfectly in tact. She wears flip flops constantly so it's not rubbing.

We've put it down to the sun fading it.

8-10 weeks old, must get around to changing it for her :eek:

Hmmm. These fade in spots, was that the case for the OPI pink and shellac? My clients toenails were painted for three weeks, and the client with gelish had hers on for 2 weeks.

I was using OPI base, colour and top, but I found the colour was sun fading really badly where they're not very pigmented; Especially on the samples I had on pop-its in the window. So I changed, now it's Seche base and top with China Glaze colour - No more problems :)

To be honest, I don't think I can say I have had a problem with fading regular polish and I am in the sun too so to speak.

Talking clients or personally here and I am in and out of the pool to, live in sandals when not at work in the spa so it gets heavy usage but never fades. It doesn't affect Shellac or even the Minx which I thought it would especially going in and out of the water which I found strange as it soaks off quite quickly in the pedi throne.

Hope it is just a one off for you.

Have you contacted OPI and Shellac to see if they've had similar reports, it may be restricted to certain colours with less stable pigments. Some of my polishes 'sink' in the bottle more than others.

Have you contacted OPI and Shellac to see if they've had similar reports, it may be restricted to certain colours with less stable pigments. Some of my polishes 'sink' in the bottle more than others.

Nope haven't contacted OPI yet. I didn't have a problem with shellac. My other client was wearing gelish.

Latest posts

Back