Has anyone seen these in the uk?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sian1979

Reaction score
hi all.....

i have come across this product....apparantly it is a professional product only and you have to go to a salon to have them put on. They do look really good....and with certain celebs being spotted with them on i thought there may be a market for them here....but i have not seen them here or heard of them...but they do look good especially the metallics.
i just wondered what you fellow geeks thought of them and if anyone from the US had seen them and how good are they.......i cant find anything about them in the uk so am presuming you cant get them done here as yet????
link: Minx Nail Coverings

thanks all

This product was used for the February 2008 cover of Nails Magazine. I just got it in the mail yesterday. Not sure what I think about it yet. It reminds me of the Avon peel and stick nail polish from last year.

S

It looks exactly the same as the avon peel and go things,
i had a sample of the avon ones and they would be ok for someone with flat nails but i have very arched shapely nails and they are impossible to fit to mine, because of the arch i had lots of creases because the product does not stretch to adapt to different shapes,
hth

hmmm i have not seen the avon ones....but surely if its a professional product...there must have been some training involved in application and the quality would surely be better.....i really dont know i am just interested as they look quite good in the pics.....especially on the front cover of the nails magazine.:D
thanks for ur replies :hug:

This product was used for the February 2008 cover of Nails Magazine. I just got it in the mail yesterday. Not sure what I think about it yet. It reminds me of the Avon peel and stick nail polish from last year.

S

feb 2008 and you got it yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxx:D

Yep! For some reason, I always get mine really early.

S

i just thought i would add this so that you could see what i meant....this is what caught my eye.
xx

Attachments

• nailsmagcover.jpg
    nailsmagcover.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 451
I woudnt always believe everything that you see on magazine covers and I know allot of the time they are 'touched up' so they show no flaws.

Its hard to tell on the pc picture but some are done well and some are done not so well.

S

I had the same thoughts.
And while I sell Avon, and while I love many of their products, I do NOT let my clients waste their money on those stupid peel and stick which don't work half as well as they claim and are over priced crap.

sorry... but... it also makes me think of when we were kids, and would put pieces of scotch tape on our nails to make them longer and then paint the scotch tape?:rolleyes:

I can't see the sense in this anymore than I can see the sense in those digi machines....

mmmmm.....not sure about these.

If you read up on how to remove them, using a hairdryer and melting them abit, then picking off from the lateral fold accross the nail, I'd guess unless the person wearing these sat on their arse all day & did nothing that there could be a possible means of getting a bacterial infection under this, if placed over the natural nail plate, even if you santise it, likley they will still start to come away?

Not convinced

Just a thought.... but they remind me of pound shop kids metallic stick on nails! I'm sure they are great, and there will be a market for them, but to me they seem so strange! I'll reserve any further judgement until I or a fellow geek has tried them methinks. rach x

S

Thats what I was going to say - Avon peel and stick polish!

thanks for all you replies.
i do see what you are saying....and yes i do agree with the majority of it, but Nails is a Professional mag aimed towards professionals in the industry (is it not? maybe someone from the US can confirm), much like scratch and pro beauty etc.if it is featured on the front cover then surely there must be something to it....with regards to hygiene then may be that is why they are pro use only...i dont know.
I do see what you mean by comparing them to Avon stick ons....but Avon sell many things.....i dont think i would use there nail enamel on a client for example....i use creative for instance because it is a professional product.
Apparantly it is going to be featured at New york fashion week:suprised:, may be there are some peeps from the US that might be able to reveal more?
the nails on the cover was done by tom bachik....a fellow geek beachneck...i have PM'd him to ask if he could comment on them on this thread.
thanks peeps.
xx

Last edited:
just out of interest i sent an e mail to Minx to find out about them, here is what the put in there reply:

Dear Sian,

Hello! I am so excited to hear from you! I work with Minx nails and Dawn Lynch-Goodwin, the CEO (we call her the Chief Cheeky Minx), told me about the salongeeks.com site. It looks excellent, and I'm so delighted to hear that you have already posted a comment about Minx on it!

Can you send me a link to your comments? We'd love to respond or give you any additional information you would like. The training definitely covers all the elements of application, removal, and care. And, since Minx doesn't use any chemicals in application or removal, you can apply it while customers are getting their hair or makeup done. This comes in handy not only with busy clients, but when working with celebrities or models for shoots!

I'm attaching our first press release that we issued on Jan. 16, announcing the launch of Minx to salons and spas. We intended on launching in the UK later this year, if you had a group of manicurists together that would like to do a training session, Dawn would be happy to accommodate you as she used to live in London and frequently flies there!

Thank you again so much for your interest, Sian. I am really excited to hear from you and I hope we can get something up on the www.salongeeks.com Web site that will be relevant and interesting to members!!!

Also i will attach a link to the press release mentioned
xx

Attachments

• Professional%20Minx%20Release%20FINAL%201.16.08[1].doc
    32 KB · Views: 386
They certainly would seem to have customer support at their heart judging from the quick response they gave to your email and offering a training session in London.
Marion x

They certainly would seem to have customer support at their heart judging from the quick response they gave to your email and offering a training session in London.
Marion x

yes, they certainly seem very enthusiastic about their product...but they are going to be arnt they. I have to say though i would have to see them in the flesh before paying out for them...or even hear from someone who has used them.....but it doesnt look like there are any fellow geeks who have unfortunatly.

xx

here is some feedback from a nail tech that uses this product in the US....she is a fully qualified nail tech like the majority of those on here and offers this a a service in here salon. Very interesting.......

Dear Sian

Its a pleasure for me to be able to respond to you in reference to Minx nails.

I have been offering Minx to my clients for the past 7 months and the response has been overwhelming.

In your comment I read that many are not conviced with the quality of Minx.
Let me be the first to say that the proof is in the final result. When applied properly Minx can provide wonderful benefits to your clients.
My clients in Washington, DC are loving the fact that even with
natural nails you can still maintain your color without the use of artificial usage.
Minx has brought a greatness to my business in regards to the colors, designs, and the boldness it brings with each unique coverlet.
As one tech to another I feel you owe it to yourself to give it a chance and see what rewards will prosper from your experience with Minx.

Minx is a Exculsive technique that has hit a industry that hasn't seen anything as bold and classy since nail polish itself...
Please feel free to communicate with me any questions that I may answer in reference to Minx and my experinces with it.

Best regards,
Natasha Ray (Master Minx manicurist)
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Now I haven't seen this product and know nothing about it, but I do know my business and I do not like over use of rhetoric (commonly known as BS)!

What do they mean they do not use chemicals?? We ALL know that everything in this world is made up of chemicals apart from light and electricity so that is BS.

As for the post above, it sounds pretty but does not tell me anything at all that is useful information. Of course these coverings are artificial ... what do they mean no artificial usage?? It is an artificial 'coverlet' ... cute new word but so is a false stick on nail an artificial coverlet.

The technician talks about all the wonderful benefits to her clients and then only tells us that their polish lasts longer? Longer than what?

How about a bit more info for the professionals on this site,who know their business,as to exactly what they are, how long they last, how strong they are, how long they take to apply and how to use them. '

Now I haven't seen this product and know nothing about it, but I do know my business and I do not like over use of rhetoric (commonly known as BS)!

What do they mean they do not use chemicals?? We ALL know that everything in this world is made up of chemicals apart from light and electricity so that is BS.

As for the post above, it sounds pretty but does not tell me anything at all that is useful information. Of course these coverings are artificial ... what do they mean no artificial usage?? It is an artificial 'coverlet' ... cute new word but so is a false stick on nail an artificial coverlet.

The technician talks about all the wonderful benefits to her clients and then only tells us that their polish lasts longer? Longer than what?

How about a bit more info for the professionals on this site,who know their business,as to exactly what they are, how long they last, how strong they are, how long they take to apply and how to use them. '

Knowing what i know about you and you knowing your business i would always take what you say over someone / thing i have never heard of...or anyone else has heard of for that matter......i just saw the pic on the front cover of a magazine and liked the look....so looked into it further.
Especially as i have not been in the business for that long......:cry:
Hopefully they will see the post and answer the q's.:)

Knowing what i know about you and you knowing your business i would always take what you say over someone / thing i have never heard of...or anyone else has heard of for that matter......i just saw the pic on the front cover of a magazine and liked the look....so looked into it further.
Especially as i have not been in the business for that long......:cry:
Hopefully they will see the post and answer the q's.:)

I haven't said anything about the product ... I'd love to know more about it ... not be spun a load of Bull dung that's all. I figure if that is the official company policy (which I do not know that it is) then it turns me as a professional right off.

Latest posts

Back