Has anyone trained at the Helen McGuinness beauty school in Southampton?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljboutique

Reaction score
Heya

Was looking around for intensive beauty courses in my area and I liked the look of this one as Helen has written quite a few beauty books. The mani/pedi course doesnt start at my local college until September so I thought this would be another option just wondered if anyone had trained with her and what it was like xxx

I have done spray tanning there and although I met Helen I did not train with her. The training I did however was very good for a short course and would recommend it. I think it depends on what you are training in - sometimes the longer college courses are better as students get the practice. If you have people to work on at home then I cannot see that doing a course there would be a problem.:hug:

I trained with Helen herself - I did my Indian head massage with her over 4 days about 12 years ago when indian head wasn't known of.
I found her very good, very knowledgeable and very comfortable with the accreditation process.

Helen has taught at FE colleges, and was an external verifier so knows the system.

Helen has also written a lot of text books and her DVD's are pretty good too.

She has expanded her business so don't know if you would get Helen herself teaching you but I am sure who ever you got would be up to scratch in her school.

Heya

Was looking around for intensive beauty courses in my area and I liked the look of this one as Helen has written quite a few beauty books. The mani/pedi course doesnt start at my local college until September so I thought this would be another option just wondered if anyone had trained with her and what it was like xxx

Hiya,how long does the course last?

Im very sceptical over short courses in beauty therapy.There's an awful lot to learn.Hippy Chick took 4 days alone to learn one unit(Indian Head massage)I think it is possible to learn one unit in a short time but when it's several then that's another ball game.I've had people tell me that by the time they have got on to unit 3,say waxing for instance, they have forgotten their facials.All because it's all packed in together.Then they have finished with their qualification and dont feel competent.

September isn't that far away,gives you time to read those text books getting yourself prepared:hug:

I've trained with Helen, and in fact I was there on Friday as a model for her red vein students. She's extremely knowledgeable, personable and professional.

i didnt do my training there but know many people that have n really enjoyed it n though she was relly good i want to to her indian head n advance waxing course with her! creative have just opened there academy+ in bouremouth which is really good! i did a manicure n pedicure course at southen school of beauty in waterlooville in portsmouth! they are good to!!! x

Thanks for all the advice I think Im going to wait until September so I can get a VTCT in manicure and pedicure that way I can get insured by anyone and I will hopefully feel more confident after training for 4months rather than 2 days .xxx

If you train with Helen you can still do your VTCT/NVQs etc. In fact I think she's on the board of one of the main training bodies or something, so to suggest you won't get proper training just because it's a short course is laughable. It's quality, not quantity. I also know people who've done college courses that have gone on months and been frustrated that the pace is too slow, or that things are repeated and repeated, particularly when there are people who miss classes regularly. I suppose it also depends on what best fits in with your lifestyle.

Having said that I'm sure there are cowboy outfits around offering shoddy short courses! But Helen McGuinness isn't one of them.

I loved training with Helen - she's knowledgable, patient and a really nice person. Classes are small so you get lots of one on one time with her and loads of opportunities to ask questions. I'm quite local to her but on my courses there were people from all over the country.

If you train with Helen you can still do your VTCT/NVQs etc. In fact I think she's on the board of one of the main training bodies or something, so to suggest you won't get proper training just because it's a short course is laughable. It's quality, not quantity. I also know people who've done college courses that have gone on months and been frustrated that the pace is too slow, or that things are repeated and repeated, particularly when there are people who miss classes regularly. I suppose it also depends on what best fits in with your lifestyle.

Having said that I'm sure there are cowboy outfits around offering shoddy short courses! But Helen McGuinness isn't one of them.

I loved training with Helen - she's knowledgable, patient and a really nice person. Classes are small so you get lots of one on one time with her and loads of opportunities to ask questions. I'm quite local to her but on my courses there were people from all over the country.

I didn't say it wasn't proper training I said I thought short courses were ok for 1 unit but was very sceptical about doing a complete beauty therapy qualification as a short course and I stand by that,please do not put words into my mouth,I suggest you read my whole reply rather than assuming things.

I think a complete beauty therapy qualification via the short course route is a lot to take in..I have no issues with small courses for individual units,I have indeed done some so would hardly say that I didn't think a short course was,'proper',( I do feel that trying to take on several units in a short space of time is hard and also does not allow for the practice until you feel ready for assessment)

I also said Hippy Chick took 4 days to do one unit so I personally think a short course covering several units is a lot to take on.Saying this I dont know how long the course is for.Hence why I asked.

Also if the pace is too slow then you can go at your own pace at college which is what I did,I and a couple of others.We never went over and over anything at college because someone missed.It was their responsibility to catch up.I cannot imagine any college expecting their students to go over and over something because certain students were away and had missed something.If this were the case you would never get the course completed.In our classes if someone were away they were shown when we got on with something else.

Last edited:
Er BABSann I wasn't criticising what you said, just expressing my experience and feedback from people I know. I'm sorry if you took my response personally - I was simply responding to the original post which was weighing up a short course against a college one.

Er BABSann I wasn't criticising what you said, just expressing my experience and feedback from people I know. I'm sorry if you took my response personally - I was simply responding to the original post which was weighing up a short course against a college one.

No probs,I just didnt want people to think I would suggest it wasn't proper training that's all.:hug:Sometimes hard to put yourself across properly without it sounding harsh and that wasn't my intention.Sorry cherub x

I have had alot of one to one tuition with helen and she is lovely. Always on hand afterthe course too for advice. I would recommend her :)

I've only ever heard good things about Helen. xxx

Latest posts

Back