Has anyone tried the 20% tan solutions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharlz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've not posted on here for a while as i've had a break from beauty due to me having a baby. I am wanting to start offering spray tans again but wanted to know if anyone had tried the 20% solutions which some companies sell. The ladies round my way love that dark TOWIE/Geordie Shore look lol, but i just wanted to know if anyone has tried it, what it fades like, how long it lasts.
Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance x

Sharlz

Hi,

I work for Sunless Solutions we don't do a 20% we sell the booster drop instead so that people can taylor the tan to there clients needs. Alot of towie girls wear our 12% some with added boosters!

Good luck!

Leela

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only used 20% Nouvatan on my daughter but wouldn't bother stocking any higher than 16% as on most people the higher % will just go orange :(

Every skin has a threshold so not everyone can go up to unlimited percentages when it comes to the tan and overdosis in % generally can give an orange look.

The other thing to consider is the % of DHA and whether its synthetic or pure certified as that tends to be stronger, ie a synthetic DHA of say 24% might still only be equal to a much lower percentage of a pure certified DHA and it very much depends on the other ingredients used in the solution so you cant take like for like.

Best is to ask for some samples if you really want to offer dark tans like that and see which tans and percentages works best for you and your clients.

Beach Bum do a 20% it is mainly used by dancers and bodybuilders. It certainly does not go orange !

Hi everyone,

I've not posted on here for a while as i've had a break from beauty due to me having a baby. I am wanting to start offering spray tans again but wanted to know if anyone had tried the 20% solutions which some companies sell. The ladies round my way love that dark TOWIE/Geordie Shore look lol, but i just wanted to know if anyone has tried it, what it fades like, how long it lasts.
Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance x

Sharlz

there really is a limit as to how much DHA concentrate most skin types can take and anything above 16/18% is getting to the top of the spectrum in terms of producing a nice tan look

Of course there are pockets around the country,North east,Manchester and of course Liverpool where the consumer seems to prefer a much darker tan look than those down on the south coast.

The dangers of course of applying to strong a DHA concentrate to the skin will of course undebatable result in DHA overload and consequentially an orange look:eek:....which we really don't want as this does in the long run give us in this sector a bad reputation :rolleyes:

In addition fade off can sometimes be something of a problem with an uneven broken look to the tan

I would therefore advise not going higher than 16/18% in general terms however the quality of the DHA being used is also a factor to consider

HTH :hug:

Agree with Colin, 20% is well over the top. Most people will go orange. Also DHA dries the skin and @ 20% it definitely will, hence you get poor fading.

Mel B is one of our clients and has a great colour with our City Tan™ Miami and booster drops. The cool thing about City Tans™ is you can shower after 30 mins - 90mins max. Wall Photos | Facebook

There are loads of examples on our face book page of Gimme Brown 14% which gives a very rich Caribbean colour:-

Aviva Labs | Facebook

Agree with Colin, 20% is well over the top. Most people will go orange. Also DHA dries the skin and @ 20% it definitely will, hence you get poor fading.

Mel B is one of our clients and has a great colour with our City Tan™ Miami and booster drops. The cool thing about City Tans™ is you can shower after 30 mins - 90mins max. Wall Photos | Facebook

There are loads of examples on our face book page of Gimme Brown 14% which gives a very rich Caribbean colour:-

Aviva Labs | Facebook
The spraytan sector is heading in exactly the same direction as the sun bed sector did some years back where ever stronger UV output lamps were being produced by the manufacturers in an endeavor to capture customers.
Whilst this may have worked for a while in so doing it brought about the demise of this sector
I see the very same thing happening in our sector where manufacturers/brands are simply producing higher and higher DHa concentrates in there solutions simply as a marketing ploy to gain business.
What ever is next...a 25% solution :eek:

There is already beginning in this sector possible derogatory press regarding cancer scares and I'm concerned that if the continuation of ever stronger DHA concentrates are to continue then in the long term we will simply damage our sector,reputations and of course ultimately our businesses
It really needs to stop and manufacturers need to self regulate themselves...fighting for business is normal and can be healthy in terms of the options it offers the consumer but for pity sake stop with these ridiculous ever stronger solutions that are simply a marketing gimmick and rather focus on other methods of encapsulation
customers....fragrences,posative additives that help the skin and so on :wink2:

For sure if we keep this up we will be responsible for our own demise in the exact same way as the sunbed industry did...and we really don't want that do we :wink2:

The spraytan sector is heading in exactly the same direction as the sun bed sector did some years back where ever stronger UV output lamps were being produced by the manufacturers in an endeavor to capture customers.
Whilst this may have worked for a while in so doing it brought about the demise of this sector
I see the very same thing happening in our sector where manufacturers/brands are simply producing higher and higher DHa concentrates in there solutions simply as a marketing ploy to gain business.
What ever is next...a 25% solution :eek:

There is already beginning in this sector possible derogatory press regarding cancer scares and I'm concerned that if the continuation of ever stronger DHA concentrates are to continue then in the long term we will simply damage our sector,reputations and of course ultimately our businesses
It really needs to stop and manufacturers need to self regulate themselves...fighting for business is normal and can be healthy in terms of the options it offers the consumer but for pity sake stop with these ridiculous ever stronger solutions that are simply a marketing gimmick and rather focus on other methods of encapsulation
customers....fragrences,posative additives that help the skin and so on :wink2:

For sure if we keep this up we will be responsible for our own demise in the exact same way as the sunbed industry did...and we really don't want that do we :wink2:

Well said, we have all seen the disastrous fake tans that don't suit the person but they cannot see it for themselves (same with sunbed abuse and plastic surgery I suppose), it's up to the people who are administering these treatments to act responsibly as some clients just want more and more (think Jordan's puffed up and squeezed face, Patricia Krentcil and Alicia Duvall!) I personally would not want a client giving me a bad rep so stick with what is suitable for them and not just the highest possible solution or let them go elsewhere!

Hey Collin, couldn't agree more.

We operate in 110 countries around the world and the UK market is well behind many others. It has however followed the classic growth track, begins really well, the poor quality product/training arrives, which holds back growth as potential customers see dodgy tans and won't even try the service. Then the market matures. Consumers know what they are talking about, professionals respond, poor product/training disappears and the market growth track really starts to move.

We are just at the beginning of the maturing stage which is when you tend to see the most ridiculous products arriving in the market.

All of us manufactures and professional tanners should be confident and tell clients that xx% is to much for their skin type.

Every time a client walks out with an average tan or an orange tan the market is damaged.

There is only one type of good spray tan and that's one that you can't tell is a spray tan ie. only the client and professional know it's fake. End of story.

I find in the north east area people want the darkest tan possible. I get asked for the darkest regardless of their natural skin colour. ( obviously I advise against it for some people if they are really pale) but I find especially for weekend tans etc it's a must have for some girls.

I have personally used 20% and my skin is medium colour and I find it's the extremem end of dark and the fade off is as you'd expect gradually over 5/7 days. my fave for a nice deep tan though is the 16% and it us dark enough without looking fake.

stuck to what your customer is requesting and obviously it depends on the area and clientel.

hope this helps

This is indeed a problem and one that is particularly prolific in your area where the consumers hunger for darker and darker skin tones fuels demand.

Its neither them nor you guys as therapists that need to look to control things as its our responsibility as manufacturers to do so because if we don't and if the current trend continues with ever stronger DHA concentrates being put to market the authorities will without doubt step in and enforce stiff regulation .

It is a shame that short term gain by some companies its potentially leading us into a position whereby our sector within the beauty industry will develop a bad reputation....not to say generate a population of umpa lumpas :eek::lol::cry:

ho hum :rolleyes::cry:

I find in the north east area people want the darkest tan possible. I get asked for the darkest regardless of their natural skin colour. ( obviously I advise against it for some people if they are really pale) but I find especially for weekend tans etc it's a must have for some girls.

I have personally used 20% and my skin is medium colour and I find it's the extreme end of dark and the fade off is as you'd expect gradually over 5/7 days. my fave for a nice deep tan though is the 16% and it us dark enough without looking fake.

stuck to what your customer is requesting and obviously it depends on the area and clientel.

hope this helps

I have personally used 20% and my skin is medium colour and I find it's the extremem end of dark and the fade off is as you'd expect gradually over 5/7 days. my fave for a nice deep tan though is the 16% and it us dark enough without looking fake.

hope this helps

I agree Charlene, I live in Chester le Street and have a lot of peeps who only want it as dark as I can get it, they arent bothered about fade off so long as they look nice and dark for a night in the toon. You can only guide your clientelle as to what is suitable for their skin type to achieve a nice colour, but if what they want is not a "nice colour" and they just want to be as dark as is humanly possible out of a bottle, then I say give them what they want, as long as the downsides and know that fade off will not be the greatest. what i dont want is someone coming to me and saying i want to be really dark, and then being unhappy that the colour isnt as dark as they wanted.

....not to say generate a population of umpa lumpas :eek::lol::cry:

ho hum :rolleyes::cry:

collin i have to say someone once said i want to be really dark, i asked for an example and she said "i quite like the orange look" lmao, i always pride myself on never having turned anyone orange, even with 2 coats of disco, but i was speechless lol

collin i have to say someone once said i want to be really dark, i asked for an example and she said "i quite like the orange look" lmao, i always pride myself on never having turned anyone orange, even with 2 coats of disco, but i was speechless lol

Well its an odd thing but many young girls actually do like the orange look.
In there minds eye its what a spray tan should look like :eek:

Also it enables them to show to the world they can afford it and it has in fact started to become a fashion statement kind of thing :eek:

Whatever happened to simply wanting a tan that looks natural :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back