Has anyone used Worldpay Zinc?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souz

Reaction score
i have been getting prices for a card machine for new salon and my Business bank manager advised me to take alook at worlpayzinc.com as it works out cheaper...has anyone used this? does it look as professional as having a traditional card machine and does it work!! i would use my laptop instead of my phone but im really not sure about it!

thanks for any responses?

I have it and love it, i always get comments on how good it is too, the only difference to a normal card machine is thats its smaller. Money is always in my account within 3 days (the first 2 weeks i had it it took a Little longer though. I chose the pay as you go option havent had any problems!
I had izettle before and this by far is so much better :)

Oops forgot to say it hasnt failed on me once so far and ive had it for about 4 months now x

I've been using it since March, when I swapped from a wired machine from Worldpay as they'd hiked the charges so much it wasn't worth having anymore.

I'm on the £10 PAYG All You can Eat tarriff which is a third of the charges I was paying.

I'm having problems with my card reader, it won't hold a charge for more than about 48 hours, even if it's only used once in that period. Worldpay offered to send it away for investigation (duh, the rechargable battery has failed, not exactly rocket science!) but wouldn't give me anything to use in the mean time and suggested I only took cash??? Not the greatest of help. However, they are issuing new card readers in October all nicely logo's with Worldpay Zinc so I'm just limping mine through until then. In fairness, the functionality works, it just needs to be kept plugged in charging nearly all the time, and until it failed it was holding a charge for 10/12 days.

I'm very happy with the set up, service and cost

I've had mine for about 4 months and my clients think its great!

I use mine paired with my iPad, as that looks a bit more professional than using a mobile phone (I'm not sure if its just me, but I'd be a bit suspicious if someone got their mobile out to take a credit/debit card payment).

I have the same plan as Trinity does, it works out perfectly as most people tend to pay by card.

I've had a couple of issues with HSBC debit cards going through...but thats about it.

If you need to ask any other questions, please ask x

I've been using it since March, when I swapped from a wired machine from Worldpay as they'd hiked the charges so much it wasn't worth having anymore.

I'm on the £10 PAYG All You can Eat tarriff which is a third of the charges I was paying.

I'm having problems with my card reader, it won't hold a charge for more than about 48 hours, even if it's only used once in that period. Worldpay offered to send it away for investigation (duh, the rechargable battery has failed, not exactly rocket science!) but wouldn't give me anything to use in the mean time and suggested I only took cash??? Not the greatest of help. However, they are issuing new card readers in October all nicely logo's with Worldpay Zinc so I'm just limping mine through until then. In fairness, the functionality works, it just needs to be kept plugged in charging nearly all the time, and until it failed it was holding a charge for 10/12 days.

I'm very happy with the set up, service and cost

I've had the same issue as you in regards to the device staying charged, but just presumed it was just the way the device was meant to be.

I usually charge mine every morning now.

I've had the same issue as you in regards to the device staying charged, but just presumed it was just the way the device was meant to be.

I usually charge mine every morning now.

When it first arrived I got nearly 10 days from it on full charge, (by using the low power option over night, etc) now I'm lucky to get 2 days, and once it's down to one bar of charge and I put it in low power mode it switches off and has to be charged for about 5 mins before it will wake up, that's not usual for a rechargable battery, especially only after 4 months. I did all the right things by charging it and running it completely flat before recharging it to expand the cells, etc. when I first got it.

Having paid £50 for it, I expect it to last longer than 4 months :irked:

Well see how the new branded one goes when it arrives, hopefully they've had enough complaints to address the battery issue.

thanks everyone....i thought the same about plugging into my phone and thought id use my laptop if i got one...i was surprised the bank were recommending it to be honest but it is alot cheaper xx

I've had a couple of issues with HSBC debit cards going through...but thats about it.

I had loads of problems with my Worldpay wired machine and HSBC cards, luckily my best mate has a HSBC card and I KNOW she has money in her account so when it was failing I could categorically tell Worldpay there was a problem their end. I have a background in IT and Telecoms so they couldn't try to baffle me with technobabble.

It took a bit of wrangling and fighting but eventually they agreed to a complete firmware update on my machine, followed by a software update and it resolved the issue. The two updates took about 3 hours, but I knew beyond all doubt it was an issue their end not with the card/client/insufficient funds/etc. and, like you say, it was only HSBC cards that failed.

thanks everyone....i thought the same about plugging into my phone and thought id use my laptop if i got one...i was surprised the bank were recommending it to be honest but it is alot cheaper xx

You put their card in the card reader not your phone and because it's labelled up with Visa/Electron/WorldPay/etc. it certainly looks the business. You only use your smartphone to programme the amount and send SMS/email receipts. The clients who use cards with me have all been fascinated by it :)

Their SMS receipt arrives almost instantly and is from WorldPay not your mobile number so they have the security of knowing you don't have any of their card details on your phone.

When it first arrived I got nearly 10 days from it on full charge, (by using the low power option over night, etc) now I'm lucky to get 2 days, and once it's down to one bar of charge and I put it in low power mode it switches off and has to be charged for about 5 mins before it will wake up, that's not usual for a rechargable battery, especially only after 4 months. I did all the right things by charging it and running it completely flat before recharging it to expand the cells, etc. when I first got it.

Having paid £50 for it, I expect it to last longer than 4 months :irked:

Well see how the new branded one goes when it arrives, hopefully they've had enough complaints to address the battery issue.

I've never managed to get more than 2 days out of it! I just presumed thats the way the device was (and I turn it off at night!).

I think I might need to contact them for a new one, or just hold on until the rebranded ones are released.

Did you have to contact them for a new branded one?

I had loads of problems with my Worldpay wired machine and HSBC cards, luckily my best mate has a HSBC card and I KNOW she has money in her account so when it was failing I could categorically tell Worldpay there was a problem their end. I have a background in IT and Telecoms so they couldn't try to baffle me with technobabble.

It took a bit of wrangling and fighting but eventually they agreed to a complete firmware update on my machine, followed by a software update and it resolved the issue. The two updates took about 3 hours, but I knew beyond all doubt it was an issue their end not with the card/client/insufficient funds/etc. and, like you say, it was only HSBC cards that failed.

The HSBC thing has been a bit of an issue as I've had to ask clients to use a different method of payment which of course is inconvenient.

I shall contact Worldpay in regards to this...I'm glad I'm not the only person this has happened to.

after going through the card payment options with hubby last night he agreed that the wolrldpay zinc seemed to be a good option to at least start with until i know roughly how many card payments i will be taking!! but he also agreed that he wasnt comfortable with me using phone (yes i know we hane the worldpay device to the customer) so has decided i should have an ipad and as its my birthday i said he could buy it for me for that as long as i got something else aswell lol!!

thanks ladies for all your help xx

Great to hear you'll be coming onboard with WorldPay Zinc @Souz :)

Just wanted to pop in and address a couple of concerns RE: battery life and card acceptance issues.

We were made aware that some of our USB cables were faulty and this was resulting in a lack of charge going through to the device. If you are experiencing this, please contact our customer helpdesk as they can send you a new cable free of charge. The battery life of our Chip & PIN keypad should be about 5 days. You can also try charging it using your iPhone or Android charger, rather than plugging into your computer or laptop as this will offer a stronger charge.

There is a new app update (1.0.4) available in the App Store and Play Store that should address an 'invalid card' issue that some users were experiencing. It is important that all Zinc customers download this update and then re-pair the device with their smartphone.

Our customer helpdesk is available 24/7 0n 0330 333 3601.

Thanks,

Emma Dillon | Community & Social Media Manager | WorldPay Zinc

Last edited by a moderator:

Just wanted to pop in and address a couple of concerns RE: battery life and card acceptance issues.

We were made aware that some of our USB cables were faulty and this was resulting in a lack of charge going through to the device. If you are experiencing this, please contact our customer helpdesk as they can send you a new cable free of charge. The battery life of our Chip & PIN keypad should be about 5 days. You can also try charging it using your iPhone or Android charger, rather than plugging into your computer or laptop as this will offer a stronger charge.

There is a new app update (1.0.4) available in the App Store and Play Store that should address an 'invalid card' issue that some users were experiencing. It is important that all Zinc customers download this update and then re-pair the device with their smartphone.

Thanks,

Hi Emma

Lovely to see a supplier on the board and providing support and advice :)

Interesting to hear the issues you are mentioning about the charging cables, when I spoke to the help desk they tried to tell me less than 48 hours battery life was acceptable, it was only when I pushed more and she spoke to another colleague who agreed it wasn't correct that I got any further advice, sadly she didn't mention the cable issues to me at all.

It might be worth feeding back to your team that suggesting I send the card reader back for investigation, and leaving me with no method of taking payments, is not really a useful option. Especially as I've paid £50 for the reader, it's not like it was provided it FOC. More so when it's only 5 months old, maybe if it was over a year old or out of warranty I could understand, but not with a relatively new product line. Perhaps the way forward would be to send me a new one with a return envelope for the potentially faulty one, then after examination, if it's my fault you could issue a charge to me, or tell me to keep the replacement.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll try my phone charge and report back if it makes any significant difference.

Regards

Hi Trinity,

Thanks for your feedback, I have forwarded this onto our Operations team so that they are aware also. We are looking to migrate our existing pay as you go customers to WorldPay Zinc in the coming months, so keep an eye on your emails for updates.

Thanks,

thanks worldpayzinc for your feedback xx

I use worldpay 'pay as you go' and find it fab.
I read loads of thread on here before taking the plunge and I've been very impressed.
I did try using a card swipe thing first and it was rubbish!!! But worls pay have been great.

My only quibble is that the text on the card reader is very small. I'll have to investigate to see if there is a way to make it bigger ( for those of us with failing eyesight lol!)

Thanks,

Emma Dillon | Community & Social Media Manager | WorldPay Zinc |
55 Mansell Street | London | E1 8AN | UK |

Hi Emma,

Thanks for coming onto the forum.

I shall be in contact with your customer service team tomorrow in regards to the faulty USB cable, as I've literally never had more than 2 days charge.

I'll also update the app, so hopefully the issue with HSBC cards will be a thing of the past.

I have to say, besides these 2 issues, I have loved using my card reader.

Many thanks

after going through the card payment options with hubby last night he agreed that the wolrldpay zinc seemed to be a good option to at least start with until i know roughly how many card payments i will be taking!! but he also agreed that he wasnt comfortable with me using phone (yes i know we hane the worldpay device to the customer) so has decided i should have an ipad and as its my birthday i said he could buy it for me for that as long as i got something else aswell lol!!

thanks ladies for all your help xx

Well "technically" the iPad is for work (lets not tell him that you'll be using it for other things, such as shopping etc) so you definitely NEED to have another much more personal gift too! :wink2:

Latest posts

Back