Has Coty buying out OPI made a difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happysez

Reaction score
I wanted to know if Coty buying out OPI had made a difference in the market?

Up until the other day when I read something on here about Estee lauder, Marie Kay and Avon have been found out for animal testing did I even know OPI had been bought out by Coty as someone left a message saying they stopped using OPI as the profits go to Coty from OPI sales. Its made me think should I avoid OPI and go with Shellac, is CND animal friendly? I'm confused and don't really know what to do. I want to pick a brand that has nothing to do with animal testing really. I could read all day about it on Google but wanted to know if it has made a difference to sales and people opinions. I don't work in a salon and don't even work in this country so never really hear much about this topic. Any views would be very much appreciated.

Well, as I understand OPI no longer have a competition team.

Up until the other day when I read something on here about Estee lauder, Marie Kay and Avon have been found out for animal testing did I even know OPI had been bought out by Coty as someone left a message saying they stopped using OPI as the profits go to Coty from OPI sales. Its made me think should I avoid OPI and go with Shellac, is CND animal friendly? I'm confused and don't really know what to do. I want to pick a brand that has nothing to do with animal testing really. I could read all day about it on Google but wanted to know if it has made a difference to sales and people opinions. I don't work in a salon and don't even work in this country so never really hear much about this topic. Any views would be very much appreciated.
CND products are not tested on animals. They are a very ethical company in every way.

Nubar products are vegan approved and not tested on animals :)

I really don't think being bought by Coty has made any difference. As far as I am aware, they are run in much the same way as before and are still effectively an ethical company. Certainly, I have never had a client mention it to me - I don't think most people know.

If you look as far as the company that owns a brand perhaps you should look at every other brand they own and make sure they all meet your standards. For instance, do Colomer (who I just found out from another thread own CND) only own companies that are as ethical as CND? I don't know.

I didnt even know Coty bought out OPI and my Mum works for Coty!!
xx

My suggestion, if you are concerned how they do their testing, is to contact the company directly and ask them.

OPI (coty) are listed on PETA website as not testing on Animals. Coty in general don't seem to be listed on either list so the jury is still out on that one. Xx

Coty are on this 'bad list'. Cruelty Free Shopping Guide: animal testing: companies and products to support/avoid But so many lists are around and a lot of them conflict.

I think it's because their policy is unclear or they haven't fully confirmed that they do not test. I'd be soooo happy if they didn't because then I could buy OPI (and Rimmell) again.

Sometimes a company may be on PETA's bad list, but it's just that they haven't signed PETA's particular form.

The big companies that do animal test (Unilever, P&G, L'Oreal... etc) own soooo many brands.

I try to avoid companies that test or are owned by a parent company that test as I don't want my money funding animal testing when there are so many cruelty free alternatives available.

However, I think with Estee Lauder / Avon ... the PETA thing makes it worse than it is. I'm vegan and for the most part I hate PETA's tactics and the way they get their message across (as do most vegans I know). Estee Lauder / Avon actually only test ingredients where it is required by law (ie, China). I am not sure if their policies have always stated that.

I'm not condoning it and didn't know about it til recently but the more I consider it, the more I am unsure if I would boycott the individual brands completely, if they confirm that they will continue not to animal test.

What I am trying to say in a not very articulate way is that I don't really know how I feel about Estee Lauder yet. I'm hoping more info comes out or that the company releases a statement about it.

Latest posts

Back