Has Salon Geek lost its sense of humour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainelola

Reaction score
For the record I think Sweet Squared are a brilliant company and they are already dealing with the problem I mentioned in another thread.
I have nothing bad to say about them.

I'll get my coat.

Um, you ok sweetie?

Oh Hun, just something I mentioned on a previous thread and the Nail police are out. Oh hang on this is a blog and should be in the blog section.

I disappeared for a few months because I'd found the same feeling. Although I now have the app and have fell in love with geeking all over again :)

I thought it was funny ;)

(and yes - this should be a blog :D )

hehe i thought the other thread was funny too and could tell it was meant in a humourous way and that you wernt actually trying to sort the problem on here x

What was the original thread, I want to read it? Why does it matter so much about blogging versus this type of thread? :?::?::?::?::?:

Before anyone starts moaning about not being able to find their threads, I moved this thread to Chit Chat as it was not a question about nails.

Have we lost our sense of humour - no I dont think so, but sometimes it really is hard to stay upbeat and joyful when faced with a barrage of mickey taking, rule breaking and sometimes downright rudeness all aimed at the moderator team.

What do we have to deal with on a daily basis -

people posting in the wrong forum - ok maybe not a major biggy but some people get frustrated when they maybe only read their particular forum area and they see posts which are nothing to do with their area.

Constant spam ads!

Constant threads about the same thing day in day out, I think I will ask Sam to remove the Search option because no one uses is LOL - only joking!

There are thousands of people who surf by here on a daily basis - some are here for the community spirit, but some are only here for their own agenda. We are pretty good at weeding out the Agenda ones.

There are rules which have always been there, each and every one of you agrees to abide by those rules when signing up. But these rules are broken numerous times on a daily basis!

The blogs were created because we had so many forum posts which were really blogs and not asking a question for help, but really only threads which would generate a well done, or good for you or oh that is a shame type of answers.

Unfortunately sometimes people get upset when their thread is closed and referred to blogs - how dare we! They want their post to be seen, not hidden away in the blogs - but then we also get criticised for having one rule for some and another for others - we cannot win whatever we do!

Now getting to the reason for this thread - the Salongeek is not Sweet Squared and Sam works really hard to try and make sure that it is open and welcoming to all, but if people continue to use the site as if it is their personal hotline to Sweet Squared, then again we are damned!

I know we all use the site as if we are the only ones who matter and our voices should be heard etc. etc., but please spare a thought for others - not everyone on here is a Sweet Squared customer, equally not all Sweet Squared customers are on Salongeek.

Maybe we should all think more about what we are posting and whether we really need to be posting it and where.

Let's make December a thought provoking thread month and get Salongeek back to what it really should be used for.

This is the second complaining thread this week and it is only Tuesday!

I didn't complain. I also said that Sweet squared were a brilliant company. We know that Salon Geek isn't sweet Squared and that Sweet Squared isn't Salon Geek.

But time and time again someone mentions something about a company's product and how many times do we read give sweet squared a ring or CND are brilliant educators.

We all have our own favourite products from differing companies. It seems that my original thread has been taken all out of proportion and you have done that not me. All i was saying that I was so excited to get my parcel and try my new coloured DD and I opened it to find someone else's order. I wasn't complaing, moaning, or being rude or disrespectful.

Sometimes I do wonder why lots of post/threads are ripped to pieces when most of the time there isn't the need.

I was trying to make it not specifically about your thread, but to point out that your thread is one in a long line recently of comments about what the moderators have done to various threads.

Oh Hun, just something I mentioned on a previous thread and the Nail police are out. Oh hang on this is a blog and should be in the blog section.

This is a bit of a poke fun and sarcastic comment - Nail Police!

Sam and Samantha both try and get other educators to join Salongeek - maybe they dont want to give freely of their time, I dont know.

Threads like this normally always end up this way - maybe you could analyse why you started it, what were you hoping the result would be by starting a thread like this?

I certainly was not trying to rip anyone's thread apart, but merely trying to point out that there is lots of things that happen on Salongeek that many of you are unaware of and that is why we have site rules in place.

There are a lot of CND and S2 customers on here so there is bound to be people who will recommend, but I dont see anyone deleting posts recommending other companies or products.

Well as I stated, no sense of humour. I have never said anything detrimental to anyone, anything or any company on this site. Its not what I do. My original thread was just a bit of lighthearted humour. I placed 2 orders with S2 this week because as soon as I found out the coloured DD were out I wanted some. I wanted some because I rate the products etc.
If I hadn't written it I would have read it as, oh bless she was so looking forward to getting her products. Lots of people post on here and I as others say things like oh sorry to hear that blah blah blah.

Why can't you see 'the nail police' as a bit of humour. I think its a sad state of affairs when we can't laugh at ourselves. I can. I'm a right numpty sometimes. Life is too short, I suppose I have learned from things in my past not to take life seriously. I'm married to a man who does a job where I don't know if he will come home. I don't take life too seriously. I am very sorry If my comments/threads has upset anyone. It wasn't my intention.

When do the EastEnders drums come in? :)

As Fiona pointed out: Trying to keep the site clean and great for all is often a lot of hard work. Rules seriously suck. However those rules and mechanisms are in place to keep the site "less" abused. Sadly they do sometimes hamper our ability to also keep things loose and fun.

FWIW, I thought your post was fine. It was light-hearted and I actually chuckled (though I was irritated on your behalf!).

The challenging aspect is in trying to defend decisions to close/remove posts where people are actually abusing the site for their own gain, but doing so in a similar vein to those that aren't. None of the team want to over moderate the site and I certainly don't want it that way either. If peeps have suggestions or recommendations that help to prevent this from happening, seriously feel free to let us know. Every suggestion is taken on board and used to help shape and guide the way in which we moderate. Just please don't take it personally. What has happened here is a classic "few bad apples spoiling the lot". Help us minimise the amount of good apples that are being thrown out at the same time ;)

(but please do so in a new thread or through the contact form so we don't start off on the wrong foot).

nJoy the site. Its here for YOU!

"Unfortunately sometimes people get upset when their thread is closed and referred to blogs - how dare we! They want their post to be seen, not hidden away in the blogs - but then we also get criticised for having one rule for some and another for others - we cannot win whatever we do!"

I can understand this, blogs are harder to find, yes lazy of us if we have blogged to post as a thread instead but I can also see the other side. It was a bit of a fun comment, not derogatory or serious at all, maybe if the smilies were used some wouldn't have taken offence by the nail police comment?

That said, even without the smilies not everyone was offended by it. So perhaps we should all :Kissing:, :hug: and make up:?: :)

Having now slept on it, I can see this all in a new light. The blogs are great and are as easy to find as most other things. They are also more secure than the forums as they are only viewable by signed in members, and even only those on your friends list if your settings are private.

Just because blogs may be seen as more difficult to find, this doesnt mean that the rule should be ignored.

There are 2 issues here.

1. The original post was not removed, it was merely closed, it was still there for all to see and if the person who got the wrong package saw it they could contact the OP and sort it out. I dont really see the problem there.

2. Instead of maybe contacting Gigi and asking why she closed the thread, the OP started this thread, which I reacted to and in hindsight maybe shouldnt have and for that I apologise as I seem to have confirmed that Salongeek may have lost its sense of humour, or maybe just me.

We deal with crap every day which most of you dont see and I forget that you all dont see it. :hug:

I think some of the misunderstandings on here are in relation to how we write stuff on threads. Obvisouly there is a massive difference between reading in on the internet and speaking in person.

As smooth said smilies do help in these situations. They help make others understands the emotion behind what you have written.

I'm a moderator on my hub's car site. 30 guys, jdm cars, and ALOT of opinions.

We are onto our second spam thread, with over 600 pages of s**t. And I mean totally off topic stuff.

Our first spam thread got to over 1000 pages and we had to start our new one.

We also have a General chat section, among other car-related sections, for on topic stuff about cars, a section Off Topic section about everything else and our Spam Rangers thread for yapping about everday stuff.

And there is only 3 of us to watch it all.

I think some of the misunderstandings on here are in relation to how we write stuff on threads. Obvisouly there is a massive difference between reading in on the internet and speaking in person.

Absolutely- I've tried to give "advice" over the last couple of days, and because of the way I write (which I like think is "precise" and to the point), it's been taken the wrong way, to the extent of it superceeding the advice I was giving in the first place, which I thought was bloody helpful! Kinda puts you off contributing sometimes if you're being seen as a smart-a*se (which I am sometimes-:))

I also used to admin a forum, when I worked for an ISP, and it's an absolute pain in the backside (I had no patience for it!), so fair play to the admin's here- and its sorta inevitable that these sort of misunderstandings can happen from time to time.

Last edited:
I didn't ask why the thread was closed at all. I admit with hindsight I should have used smilies and I apologise for that.

There was no problem and S2 were sorting it out yesterday afternoon. It will make the wait more exciting. Its like Christmas when you get new products.

Lets all forget about it and make up. That's make up as in be friends and not make-up as in the stuff we put on our faces, because that would be for the skin forum :lol:

I do appreciate that the administrators have a difficult task and I don't think I've ever read anything that I would say was out of order but that may because because the admins have cleaned up before I've noticed it.

:hug: to everyone x x

Latest posts

Back