Has the industry changed since Covid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theelysiumspa

Reaction score
Hey guys, salon owner here and been trying unsuccessfully to advertise positions since February. Would like to know what other people think, we have never struggled with staff, we work on a commission split and this is very profitable for both therapist and salon (salon pays for everything including training). We are based in Lancashire and a number of salons are in the same boat, all advertising with no uptake. Has the profession moved to home working? Would love to know your thoughts, many thanks!!

In my town (I live in Western Canada mind you) a lot of the home based salons closed their doors for good. Only the mall salon types have done well really (fast and cheap). A lot of our economy is based off of military, government jobs, and university students. so 2 out of 3 took a huge hit and so they are not spending as much as they used to. I am a Solo nail tech and i was working at a flat rent salon and i found the fellow ladies to be Vultures. Most of the independant Salons are struggling to get techs in my town, but are only charging high flat rent (400-500 a month which my rent for my half at home is 650 so i can not afford that). I have also found that a lot of trades are having a hard time finding workers.

I've been advertising for 5 months (London). I've barely had any interest, I haven't seen it like this in 30 years in the industry. I have no idea whats going on. If I don't get new staff soon I may have to close my salon down. I just can't understand what's going on, it's like all the beauty therapists have left London!!!.

This is the same in a lot of industries.

In the tech industry for example there are companies offering VERY good pay and benefit packages now and struggling for candidates.

People have realised a few things since covid and one or more points may now apply;
  • Life is too short to be working a lot of hours.
  • Work/life balance is paramount.
  • ‘Typically’ speaking, and I’m generalising a lot so please no one take offence - the hair and beauty industry is low paying and people can now work ‘easier’ jobs 9-5 or flex time from home for more money.
  • People are going self employed to work a couple of days or whatever for the maximum flexibility they want in their lives.
  • People have moved out of cities somewhat.
  • With the cost of living crisis people don’t want to rock the boat now and are looking for stability.
  • Also because of the above, people aren’t spending as much and are watching every penny.
Those are my thoughts.

Hey guys, salon owner here and been trying unsuccessfully to advertise positions since February. Would like to know what other people think, we have never struggled with staff, we work on a commission split and this is very profitable for both therapist and salon (salon pays for everything including training). We are based in Lancashire and a number of salons are in the same boat, all advertising with no uptake. Has the profession moved to home working? Would love to know your thoughts, many thanks!!
I am sorry you are struggling with staff issues and can only think that quite a lot of therapists have actually left the industry because of the uncertainty and they need an income. Better wages and the certainty of a guaranteed income is really important.

We are a luxury and if I speak for myself it has become like I have felt totally unnecessary and have considered leaving the industry after 40 years ! Home salons have suffered too.

Could you liaise with a your local college training beauty therapists and possibly gain staff that way?
Best of luck

I think a lot of Bussiness are struggling at the minute. And looks like with the cost of energy this will only get worse in the autumn. I think the government could be doing more to help small Bussiness

I live in a tourist hotspot by the sea in Somerset and I have several clients who run cafes, takeaways, pubs, hotels etc and they are all struggling to find staff.
Attendance at their career/job fairs were very poorly attended and those that did turn up didn't want to work weekends and late evenings - no good applying to a pub then!!..... Often the applicants say they can only work x amount of hours otherwise they lose benefits (however, this has always been the case).
I don't know what the solution is, take on apprentices and train them yourself?

Yes, I have a salon in North London and I was having trouble recruiting back in 2019. Rent is just too high in London and since the Lockdowns a lot have either left the industry or work out of their own homes.
To be honest I have got used to working by myself, I quite like it. But my salon is small and I can cover overheads by myself and I know this isn’t the case for other salon owners.
Though I can not afford an assistant or apprentice working a lone, mainly because I don’t think as a London salon I could pay national minimum wage for that position - how could that person afford to live and travel ?

I am in London. Have 10+ nails and beauty experience. 90% of my carrer was a freelancer. It is impossible to have comfortable living on a wages offered. Even if they call it "competitive" (which usually means a carrot that is dangling in fron and you will never reach it).

Having said that, I actually took a part-time role (2 days a week) in a laser clinic. I wanted to do it for experience specifically in these treatments, otherwise, it is a waste of time doing it for £12/h 10h shift with just one 30 min break. 1% commission but only paid if I hit the target (which I can't hit because I tend to work with existing clients who already bought their aftercare at their 1st session).

I can earn that money in 3.5h doing mobile beauty and massage, which I do on other days.

I think in lockdown many employed therapists realised that they can have more flexibility and money with less effort. Many worked illegally as couldn't survive otherwise and realised that it is perfectly doable and they don't have to be salon-employed to succeed. Many also were let off unceremoniously without any support - why would they want to return?

I've been advertising for 5 months (London). I've barely had any interest, I haven't seen it like this in 30 years in the industry. I have no idea whats going on. If I don't get new staff soon I may have to close my salon down. I just can't understand what's going on, it's like all the beauty therapists have left London!!!.
My sister has an aesthetic clinic in London and also struggling to get staff.it’s crazy

Latest posts

Back