Has the Recession made us Killjoys...or were we always this miserable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I know times are tough, but have we forgotten how to have some fun, and a laugh here on Salon Geek ?

Maybe it's not the recession to blame, maybe we are just not making friends like we used to on here, and getting to know each other, and if we don't do that, it all gets kind of bland and businesslike, and even a little depressing!

I know from the Blogs that some people are going through heartbreaking difficult times, and yet some of those people post the friendliest, helpful and most uplifting posts here on the Forums. There really are some amazing Geeks!

I too have had my dark times recently, but the support from people on here that I have never met and will probably never meet has been amazing, even when they didn't know what was going on, they could just pick up on small things in my posts, and cared enough to check I was okay.
This is why I love Salon Geek, and coming on here gives me an escape and a chance to be normal for a while.

I have known people on here for years, and they come and go and it's great when they pop back, and I can send a message asking how they are or how George is, if it's Mrs Clooney :wink2: I have never waxed or know anything about waxing, but Kim Lawless is my chum, even if she thinks David Cassidy would pick her over me ;)...aye right ! I also knew Rinn would be the one to pick up on my wine in the 80's comment ! Little does she know I'm the one who kidnapped her bin.....but the Irish Mail lost the ransom note :rolleyes:

Ask yourself what you know about your fellow geeks, look for the personality in their posts not just the information, and HAVE A LAUGH, have some Geeky FUN!

This will be difficult to do if everyone just posts quick one liners, maybe that's what has contributed to the gloom, so expand your comments let your style and personality flow into your posts, and our community will benefit.

Start today...get to know your fellow geeks, send a friendly Pm to someone you think is great...or post about them here, or ask about them on here, or just tell us something plain daft about yourself that will have us thinking about that every time you post :o

Great post!!! 😃 Xx

Love this post , I think most people on here are great , I love the site xxx

We just need SUNSHIIIINNNNNEEE!!
It's been lovely here over the bank holiday and everyone was noticeably happier, today it's raining again :( boo.

I love this site, there's always someone to help pick you up and support you when things aren't as great. I hope I am as supportive as possible (although sometimes people JUST DON'T LISTEN grr) lol
But I can honestly say I wouldn't have got this far without my geek family, I spend more time with you lot than I do my family!! Haha xx

First of all is this thread is typically Izzi. Wonderful.

I have learned so much on the technical side on SG, and had my enthusiasm re-awakened many times.

I think I value even more, though, the lessons I have learned about life. Lessons that Geeks half, or even a third, of my age have taught me. Lessons about friendship, support, emotional maturity, humour, resilience, open-mindedness and self-honesty.

Thank-you Geeky friends for all of this.

(Btw, if you want a mental picture of me, I'm the one who gets singled out in the crowd with sometimes bizarre results. That's why I had my head under the blanket of a complete stranger in a hospital ward last night. Don't ask.)

(Btw, if you want a mental picture of me, I'm the one who gets singled out in the crowd with sometimes bizarre results. That's why I had my head under the blanket of a complete stranger in a hospital ward last night. Don't ask.)

Oh no, you don't get away with it that easy. We need to hear this story. Do tell..... :D

i love this site and wonder what i did without it!! I have made some great friends on here...its quite hard to have geeky fun as without people knowing you and your personality its a worry how they will take it! xx

I've 'met' some lovely people on here and we keep in touch away from SG really. One Geek in particular is getting to know my inappropriate sense of humour and she's still sticking around aren't you Laura!! Mind you, I think hers is just as inappropriate, so we are on the same wavelength!

When times get tough, people pull together and I like that. :)

Great post Izzi. I love this site and without it I would no be where I am today. I wouldn't have jumped back into the industry and I wouldn't be anywhere near as good as I am now if I wasn't for hints, tips and encouragement from geeks both old and new.

As for making friends I've made a fair few on here, most of whom I haven't actually met yet but I'd class several of them as close friends! 2 spring to mind who always have me in fits of laughter, isn't that right Happyfeet and Nicole333?! Xxx

Hi all :)
I have found this site so valuable because I work on my own (from home) which can be a little bit isolating.Sometimes it just helps to get other peoples opinions/advice on different issues.
I must say though, It's taking me time to get to grips with how this site works, posting correctly and 'etiquette' - I'm worried I might do something wrong! Silly aren't I!
Anyway,just want to say hi and sing the praises for Salon Geek :)

I love salon geek, but yes the mood has changed and I think people are a bit scared to show there personality for fear of being thrown off, and some threads are being closed unfairly and we are being told not to talk about such things, puts a bit of a dampner on things sometimes :-/

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Something a bit random about me: i wear nikey high tops around the salon. Ive been wearing them to tone my ass, which has helped!:D:lick: xoxo

I have a random one just had my partner install a bird box right at the side of our bedroom window as I have seen a couple of birds looking for somewhere to nest :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Something a bit random about me: i wear nikey high tops around the salon. Ive been wearing them to tone my ass, which has helped!:D:lick: xoxo

Well your toned ass will be the first thing I think of when I see your posts :biggrin:

I have had my fair amount of flak on this site over the years, and back in the day when we could give negative rep I got some :eek: and what's worse I deserved it :smack:
I reread my post and thought....oh oh ! I PMd my apologies and became great buddies with my critic.
Some newbies come on here and immediately get their backsup when I've given constructive advice, I bet a certain geek doesn't use acetone to blend her tips now though, and I think she is a great geek even if we didn't get off to the best of starts.:hug:

It's life ! We agree, we disagree, we move on and make up....but only if we put in a bit of effort and see the bigger picture.

I have learned loads on here, and not just about our industry.
I have a great recipe for chutney from Geeg because I mentioned I had a glut of green tomatoes and she sent me it!

There is a lot of kindness going on behind the scenes, and sometimes it creeps out onto the Forums too :)

Seriously Dande...under a strangers blanket ??

Oh no, you don't get away with it that easy. We need to hear this story. Do tell..... :D

A sweet elderly lady caught me as I left the ward. She asked-well actually commanded- me to massage her leg. I did think to ask if she was allowed to have this done, (thoughts of making her worse), so why I carried on when she said she didn't know I have no idea.

I asked if I should massage it on top of the blanket, but no, it had to be on the skin. I was worried about touching the site of her operation, plus I didn't want to expose her to the ward, hence "head under blanket" time.

I have learned that despite being of the cellular variety there is not much light under a hospital blanket.

She did say I had helped, but I shouldn't have done it, as it could have turned out to be the wrong thing for her. I just can't say no! (When I told my husband he stated the blinkin' obvious; she had mistaken me for a nurse.....)

Geeks, keep responding to this thread. It's a great one for the feel-good factor.

I've learnt so much from salon geek and can't wait to learn more. I tend to be abit quiet on here but I'm always reading, just shy when it comes to posting x

I agree! I don't really have many people to talk to since I left school it's just me my partner an my beauty pals (there's only 3!!) so I feel like I just want to talk to someone new for a change! :) I have posted on here an got my head snapped off but then there's lovely geeks who make me feel so much better! X

I agree! I don't really have many people to talk to since I left school it's just me my partner an my beauty pals (there's only 3!!) so I feel like I just want to talk to someone new for a change! :) I have posted on here an got my head snapped off but then there's lovely geeks who make me feel so much better! X

I've had my head snapped off a few times too...it grows back :wink2:

I agree, it has all got a bit 'serious' on here lately, to the point I was thinking of giving it all up yesterday:sad
BUT there are wonderful faces on here like Dandy and others, I miss GR8nails and Jacquelineanna and their light hearted banter and I do miss Blue:sad: despite the quick tongue he was very kind and patient with me when I first joined.
There are a massive amount of 'nice' people in the world and only a few that try and get our backs up - I promise I will try and ignore those type and play nice :D
p.s. I am nice really, quite funny::lick: and ever so slightly odd.

There used to be some really great geeks, since this site had a change of MODS they appear to have killed all good spirit and banned all the REAL professionals that actually stand up for their industry! And helped ALOT of geeks! Oh well things can't last forever......and without the glue of Salongeek I can't see how long it will be before it all falls apart. Shame really that it's happened since the change over.

Latest posts

Back