Have a guess what my local NSS are up to now!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fificharlie

Reaction score
Howdy Geeks.

A bit narked today!:irked:

I have not looked in my local NSS for ages, as they are in an area of town that I dont normally go to. I was passing, and thought I'd have a look in their window.

They have one sticker on thier door saying "NO MMA" - and another saying "OPI REGULATED SALON"!!!!!!!!! - THEY HAVE ONE BOTTLE OF OPI POLISH IN THE WINDOW!!!!!!!! The window is dirty, dusty and just tacky and bare. The smell that hits you as soon as you walk in is just sooooo obvious. A measly SINGLE bottle of some random hand cream too.

Still no labelled pots of powder / liquid and the decor has just gone down hill. When they first opened it was acceptable, and looked quite clean, now its just disgusting, chairs with the stuffing coming out, dirty stained floor and dusty desks, no towels, not a jar of barbicide in sight. ALL the techs were wearing masks. And all the techs were male. Not a consultation sheet in sight.

To my horror, I saw a girl sitting in the pedicure chair - with one of the techs scraping the dead skin off her feet with a KNIFE! Literally a kitchen knife! I couldnt beleive my eyes - surely even the general public would realise this is wrong?

The next thing I saw was a wax pot - on a nail desk - you guessed it - they now do EYEBROW WAXING!!!!! The wax pot was DISGUSTING. Completely covered in dry wax, messy, sticky and had bits in it. YUK. With a used spatula that looked exactly the same as a lolly stick just plonked on the table next to it, with bits on that too, I dont know what it was, but it was foul. With a hand written sign to boot. "Eyebrow wax £8".

In a way it just made me so happy to know that my salon will be the mutts nuts compared to them. But they were still packed with people. I asked for a price list, and the woman saw my nails...... I think she twigged..... lol - but I dont care. I had to ask her twice as she obviously didnt speak alot of English.

Just had to get this off my chest, have any other geeks noticed any new services their NSS's are offering? It seems to me that they are now branching out into beauty treatments too. I think they will hang themselves very soon, all it takes is for them to burn someone with that wax.

Forgot to add - there was another hand written sign - "Tanning - £35 per hour"?!?! I really hope this does not mean that they allow people to go on a sunbed for an hour?!?!?!?

xxx

The reason they wear masks is not for hygiene reasons...it's so you can't recognise them!

There'll always be this sort of thing going on until the authorities clamp down.

I'm sure your salon will be fab and you'll get the clients that want good service and good product - not just cheap and tacky.

Hope your salon is coming on well.

Don't worry about it. My local "friends" appear to be more concerned about me than I am about them. The general public is learning, albeit slowly, about it all. Ignore them, don't even walk past if you can help it.
You have nothing to worry about hun:hug:

oh this is unbelivable hunni ! i just cant belive the Kitchen knife thing:eek: that is just terrible! anyhoo your salon will be great hun and hopefully it will bring all those people who have had their nails badley treated by them to you, so you can look after then propley xxxx:green:

Shouldnt something like this be reported?

marketing-geek said:
The reason they wear masks is not for hygiene reasons...it's so you can't recognise them!

There'll always be this sort of thing going on until the authorities clamp down.

I'm sure your salon will be fab and you'll get the clients that want good service and good product - not just cheap and tacky.

Hope your salon is coming on well.

this is so funny.. seriously i know its a bad thing but your comment is really funny. the place sounds really awful though i would not go there why do people subject themselves to that kind of nastiness. i am very particular about where i go location for me is key. if the place is nasty on the outside i can bet ist nasty on the in and i would not be there!!! those persons that go there must be crazy have they never heard about all the diseases you can catch from places like this ... :irked:

That is just shocking :eek:
i don't suppose they dispose of their wax waste properly (depends on council) - surely not sterilising tools is a 'health hazard' maybe the enviromental health might have something to say? and i bet they havent got insurance either, i must say this is the worst i have heard so far about Nss. I really do believe that there should be licensing. Right finshed now..lol:hug:

ariaaland said:
this is so funny.. seriously i know its a bad thing but your comment is really funny. the place sounds really awful though i would not go there why do people subject themselves to that kind of nastiness. i am very particular about where i go location for me is key. if the place is nasty on the outside i can bet ist nasty on the in and i would not be there!!! those persons that go there must be crazy have they never heard about all the diseases you can catch from places like this ... :irked:

Appearances can be deceiving....the one nearby is quite trendy looking on the outside. "A new American style nail bar" an insult to most American techs out there.:eek:

emmad said:
Shouldnt something like this be reported?

I was just about to say the same thing...as by far this has gotta be one of the worst I have read about an NSS!

I would love to report them but dont really have a clue about how to do it!!!
Its really really bad in there, and I would think that the authorities really MUST have something to say about this!!

"Appearances can be deceiving....the one nearby is quite trendy looking on the outside. "A new American style nail bar" an insult to most American techs out there."

Funny that - the one here has the word "American" in the name too! x

1999judy said:
Don't worry about it. My local "friends" appear to be more concerned about me than I am about them. The general public is learning, albeit slowly, about it all. Ignore them, don't even walk past if you can help it.
You have nothing to worry about hun:hug:

lol Judy! 'Friends'! I like that! :)

fificharlie said:
I would love to report them but dont really have a clue about how to do it!!!
Its really really bad in there, and I would think that the authorities really MUST have something to say about this!!

I would have thought the enviromental health would be best to report it too, your local council should be able to supply you with the number, if not i'm sure they would point you in the right direction hths xx:hug:

Trading standards too maybe?

OMG Its terrible isnt it! Ive heard rumors that our local 'chop shop' also does brow waxing - and ear peircing of all things - you just wouldnt would you!:eek:

nailaholic said:
OMG Its terrible isnt it! Ive heard rumors that our local 'chop shop' also does brow waxing - and ear peircing of all things - you just wouldnt would you!:eek:

I wonder if they have a license to pierce ears??? (you do in my area i assume it counts elsewhere to?)

Id be willing to bet money that they dont! Its not very clean in there, I wouldnt want them near mine!:eek:

Ugh and imagine the aftercare - Peoples ears will be dropping off!!

This will cheer you up. I was told at the weekend that my local NSS has closed. not sure why?

The local council would be a good starting point to report them to.

NailFreak06 said:
Ugh and imagine the aftercare - Peoples ears will be dropping off!!

They would probably say that it was meant to look like that and offer to stick it back on with acrylic!!!!

Latest posts

Back