Have I been Hustled??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbies Gellies

Reaction score
I had a phone call early July from a woman who said she found my number on the ANT website (true I am on there)
She asked if I would be interested in teaching at her NEW nail and beauty school which opens its doors in Sept 07. (dont know why she called me of all people and I did ask her 'why me' lots of times)
Well I got an application form and and interview but feel she is a bit odd

Did anyone else get a call from a Charmaine McDonald ???

Her new school is supposed to be The London School of Nails and Beauty
in the docklands area and Wimbledon. Anyone heard of this???

She had no papers or profile of this company she has no website she just used a room in an office block off Tiller Road docklands area and brought some nail products with her. I asked where she did her training and got a brushed off answer that she trained privately and when I asked if she is advertising the school she could not tell me where. I have no address to write to her. I did a trade test on a model hand and she did not even want to watch she wanted to check them later at home. derr... odd

All seems a bit odd. all I have is her mobile number.
I have not heard since the trade test which was late July not that I a interested in the job but she did take a copy of my Certificates and Driving Licence and wanted bank details which I refused to give!

Anyone else get a call ?????

All seems a bit odd doesn't it, no wonder you are not sure.

Does sound a little strange, hope it has a positive conclusion though. :hug:

that sounds a bit odd, my advise is always trust your instincts xx

I don't want to worry you unecessarily but she has got some real personal details of yours now....your name, address, date of birth, place of birth, driving licence number and photograph and your signature....and even background information of your occupation with certificates to prove it....sounds like you've been hustled to me and I'm so glad that you refused to pass your bank details. I don't like the sound of this at all and wonder whether it's worth a call to your local police station.

As everyone has said, trust your instincts.....did she have a nice salon training set up and ready to go or was it just an office she had rented?

I really do hope that she isn't using your certificates for ulterior motives as in 'identity fraud' for her own personal gain. I sincerely hope she isn't but it does sound a bit dodgy, especially as she hasn't been in touch.

The most alarming part is she asked for banking info. Wouldn't that only be necessary IF she hired you? Thank goodness you didn't give it!

I am tempted to text her and see what I get back. I was having a laugh with a friend saying she is calling herself 'Debbie' in a salon somewhere using my Certs. But then my husband interviews people at his works all the time and said it is quite normal to phote copy ID. But she did just rent a room for us to use for the interview - I did hear the receptionist call her Charmaine so she either has friends there or she is going to use the room for the course as she told me. Still funny tho. What got me thinking she is odd is she said she has never used or even seen gel and she was not wearing any enhancements
how can you be operating a nail school and only know l & p ???? she was about 45 years old so not just out of college with big hopes.

try ringing her back and just casually asking about the job......see if she is for real........but from what you have said .....sounds like you have been scammed !

Just read this thread!! Any update Debbie? How strange - I'd be wanting to know what she had done with my details - have you tried doing a search on the internet for nail schools in that area recently? Or for her name - google it and see what you get.

I totally agree with the bank account details most certainly NOT being needed - maybe you were one of the lucky ones that had enough sense to not give them out!

No update as yet, I will ring the number I have on Monday 9-5pm ish
I will ask (if she answers) how things are going and see where the conversation goes.
icon_neutral.gif

you should watch this weeks real hustle! they do the exact same thing in a recruitment agency to get peoples details....sounds just like that!!!!!:irked:

I saw that Real Hustle one and to be honest I was really worried as I have just been doing the same thing, registering with agencies all over the place and some I hadn't ever heard of....makes you think doesn't it! I don't think I gave any of them bank details but to be honest I must have gone for dozens and dozens of interviews....scary stuff!

Would be interesting to see if you manage to speak to her on Monday.

Hi geeks,

Just had a quick search on google for the college name and her name, and cant find any details on either of them - was it a Ltd company???

x

Thanks Fificharlie, I did do a search ages ago and looked on Friends Reunited and asked on here before. I reacon she has a name for the company but has not registered it yet. There was no reg. no of any kind on her letter to me not even an address of the company only the title! She sent a SAE for the return of the application form and the address on that was not the place where I would be working. This is what bothered me. no profile of her company and/or plans etc in writing! no brochure only a chat and a cuppa and a play with acrylic on a plastic hand lol. I think if there is going to be something of a school out of all this I will eat my hat!!! I cant wait until monday to phone for an update. (watch this space.... lol)

Oh my goodness , that sounds like she was just wanting bank details it seems very Dodgy ?
Its a good job you never told her anything about your bank details ,:eek:

can she access anything of yours if she has proof with your driving license copy's ect?

I would say to you to report this incident to the police in case she tries to steal your identity ect,
Then you will be fully covered by insurance and in the clear,

Golly I am glad you are ok , it makes you think of all sorts of things that they could have done to rob you whilst you were on your own :eek:

I don't think its safe anywhere on your own these days
It just shows you what some people are like,

Please let us know how you get on :hug:

Well I text her today (to avoid convesation) said I have a lady interested in Manicure/Pedi course. She replied nicely and said her school opens next month and will be sending my lady info and price of the course. Plus i get commission for referal.

I am baffled now. I Text her an address to send the info to so I will see what happens next. (My friend is getting it)

Well I text her today (to avoid convesation) said I have a lady interested in Manicure/Pedi course. She replied nicely and said her school opens next month and will be sending my lady info and price of the course. Plus i get commission for referal.

I am baffled now. I Text her an address to send the info to so I will see what happens next. (My friend is getting it)

Did you ask her where the school was opening? If its opening in a month she should know, then maybe you could go and check out the premises.

sounds seriously like a prize draw scam where they will just pick people out the phone book, say you have 'won this' or got 'this job' just to basically get your details...they could have done it loads of people on the same day!!!! xxxx:hug:

Well, stumped I am -

Whatever way you look at it - she seems totally unprofessional to me. :confused:

Wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it :green:

Latest posts

Back