Have I done the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top Tottie

Reaction score
Hi dolls and guys.

Currently I am six months pregnant and i have been working mobile (part time) for the last 5 years (eeek!!) and slowly building up clientele. So far so good. I felt confident that I wanted to take it further and moved property - from a flat to a house and set up a treatment room and do it full time.

All of my clients knows that I have always wanted to set up a home based salon and I have informed my clients about a month ago that from 1st April, I wont be doing mobile treatments anymore (unless you are physically disabled, or elderly), and that I will be introducing 10% off for any treatments during April as a thank you for being so loyal to me. etc etc..

I have one regular who i feel is already pushing boundaries. She is lovely and i really like her but she somehow drains my energy and she always feel like too much hard work. I don't know why, just i always feel like giving out a loud sigh!

Today she said me a text message.. Please can you come to my house and do a facial and a full body massage tomorrow afternoon and on tuesday come again and do my a set of eyelash extensions and jessica geleration manicure.

I replied that I wont be doing mobile (lugging equipment everywhere, setting up, couch setting up, my back is killing me!) and that she can come to my salon on Tuesday for any treatments she would like and she will have all my undivided attention and I have send her a text message about this a month ago (twice actually)

She replied by saying, 'But I have a massage table as well that you can use and my son is off school all of april and i want to have treatments with 10%'

I explained that 10% does not apply to mobile services and the reason why i offered 10% is so that its a goodwill gesture for my existing clients for being so loyal to me for a number of years. I have a nice, relaxing treatment room that (I have only set up last weekend), the area where I live is really quiet, I am available during the day as well as evenings, and i have a long driveway which can fit 3 or 4 cars (so no parking tickets) and my prices are only 1 or 2 pounds cheaper than mobile since I do not have to pay overheads like petrol... and I am pregnant and it is getting harder and harder to lug everything about.. However please contact me if you wish me to book you treatments you want for Tuesday..

I haven't heard back from her..

The reason why i said no is i know that if i said yes, she will expect it everytime she book a treatment and i don't want her to have 'one over me' (pathetic i know)

In the past I have always ensure to fit her treatments, staying up till 1am!! I have bended backwards for her (without a tip!!) stayed late for her, and she would ask for more and more treatments during the appointment without checking whether i have got it (it is not a problem) but still...yet she sometimes walk off mid treatments for phone calls, or other stuff and would attempt to start cooking dinner!!! and then....tells me I am being too slow (i cant win lol!)

Have I done the right thing, by saying no?

I feel bad as I dont want to lose clients already but i feel I have to be firm with my clients right from the start.

Thank you for your time.

xxxx

Oh she just sent me this message...
'Ok. Tuesday, at ? Can P sit and play his psp somewhere? X'

I don't really want kids in the treatment room. He's six years old. Am I being too difficult?

X x

you need to make rules from day one.
if you want no kids in the room then fine, but dont make exceptions for anyone so its fair.
with all the treatments she has the poor kid will be bored stiff even with a psp.
im sure you could make it from a health and safety aspect too. while she is busy relaxing, you are concentrating and if anything happened to the kid, who would be liable? tripping, touching equipment etc
its your business and i think its important you run it your way, i think she has already gotten away with alot from you so its not like your being mean.
:hug:

I think the kid is a no no! just explain that you cannot have children for insurance reasons (and being a mum of a 6 year old i dont understand how she could relax and have a treatment done)

you have done the best thing saying no from the start, you have a new venture and you need to establish the rules from day one!

xxx

I think the kid is a no no! just explain that you cannot have children for insurance reasons (and being a mum of a 6 year old i dont understand how she could relax and have a treatment done)

you have done the best thing saying no from the start, you have a new venture and you need to establish the rules from day one!

xxx
Totaly agree with the above. Poor kid would be board stupid and board 6 year olds can get into trouble very quickly. My insurance doesn't cover under 16 year olds unless they are having a treatment and then it only covers them for the treatment, not for anything they might do that they shouldn't be:smack:

i'm probally being completely unprofessional and a selfish god knows what but you know what? forget her. honestly. you're pregnant and you and your lil bumblee are the most important thing. end of. you can't keep on dragging stuff around with you and bending over to do massages and then dragging all your stuff home again... it's tiring and draining. you also need to make sure that you aren't putting any strain on yourself. don't feel guilty and don't feel bad about wanting something more than being mobile and wanting to make sure you're in good health.

you've told her the terms and the situation and to be honest being a woman with a child she should understand better than anyone. though it does seem like she's realised what a fab therapist she's loosing by agreeing to come to you.

as for her son then to be honest i wouldn't have a problem with it (insurance depending) - he's not a toddler who will be into everything and anything and getting up to mischief, he should at that age be able to sit still for an hour or so.

you do what you feel is right for you and your pregnancy/baby. as i always say as much as the treatments are all about the client and they are the ones paying at the end of the day our own health and safety comes first.

congrats and good luck with your pregnancy! :D
x

Unfortunately you may find you loose a few clients changing from mobile to a home salon. Obviously this lady likes you and that's why she is pushing to get a treatment but maybe she went to you in the first place because you were mobile which was more convenient with having her kid to look after.

Given that you can no longer provide mobile services unless she conforms to going to you without her kid which doesn't sound likely you may need to dismiss her as a client.

you have totally done the right thing, i've had a few of these and they sooo push the boundaries.

Tell her your new insurance doesn't cover the child being there.

At the end of the day, she is a drain on you and you just don't need her. You go over and above and she knows that. Send her to some one else. You will get other clients and have a much better life because of it!:)

thank you for all your replies i do really appreciate it.. She said she is going to take her business elsewhere!

Oh well, you win some, you lose some!!

thank you geeks xx

Shell soon come running back when she realises that other places are more exspensive then you and don't give the same quality treatment. Some clients hey! She clearly knows and can see that your pregnant! How rude of her, most clients will be trying to make your life easier not making you run round after them! X

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she tries to take a 6 year old with her she's going to get pretty much the same response from any home based or shop based salon. My 6 year old maybe would sit for an hour on his DSi if I let him but not for the length time time it would take to do the treatments she wanted and I certainly wouldn't leave him unsupervised in anyone elses house or shop.

You'll maybe loose a few and you'll most certainly pick up a few more so don't give it any more thought.

And good luck with the bump!

Her loss not yours. She was just taking the P with that. There will always be more clients to take her place that are nice and will treat you with respect.

Oh she just sent me this message...
'Ok. Tuesday, at ? Can P sit and play his psp somewhere? X'

I don't really want kids in the treatment room. He's six years old. Am I being too difficult?

X x

No, you are not and have not been difficult, but she is a pain the arse. Like you say, you have bent over backwards for her. You are well rid of her imho!

thank you for all your replies i do really appreciate it.. She said she is going to take her business elsewhere!

Oh well, you win some, you lose some!!

thank you geeks xx

Some clients are a pleasure to lose!! :green:

With regards to children in the treatment room, you may want to be a little relaxed about your rules. Afterall, when bump arrives, will there be occasions when you have your baby in the room with you?? you can't really tell your clients one rule and have another for yourself!!

Good luck with the baby and your new venture xx

Some clients are a pleasure to lose!! :green:

With regards to children in the treatment room, you may want to be a little relaxed about your rules. Afterall, when bump arrives, will there be occasions when you have your baby in the room with you?? you can't really tell your clients one rule and have another for yourself!!

Good luck with the baby and your new venture xx

Thank you for your comments. There is absolutely no way I will have the baby with me in the room while I am working as I want to set professional standards, my mum has agreed to take care of my baby whenever i have appointments. Thankfully she only lives round the corner and knows i live for beauty therapy.

Thank you once again... :hug:

I think you will be very glad you 'stuck to your guns' here and it will make it easier to do so in the future once you have done it once. You.ve offered everything you can in a polite and professional way. The client has made her choice to which she is entitled.

I bet you feel a weight has been removed from your shoulders too. Good luck with the home salon and your new baby! :hug:

Yes I do geeg, much as i like her, i do feel relieved!! I do truly think she thinks she is (was!) the only important client in my book which is so not true lol!

Thank you geeg xx

Latest posts

Back