Have I made the right decision in moving?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hbirdette292

Reaction score
Hello all, needing some reassurance/guidance!
a few months ago I posted about moving salons etc and have now been there 2 months. I joined the salon as a freelancer and the overheads were a LOT lower than the old place, plus I don’t have to pay for styling products and shampoos etc. Just my colour.
Anyway, before I joined, the salon owner said it would be really easy to build up any lost clientele due to me moving locations (I’m about 30 mins away from where I was before)
There’s a couple of things that are winding me up...
A couple of days ago he asked all of the stylists to share their availability for the week on their work instagrams... I did exactly the same and he shared everyone else’s apart from mine. (They are all employed, I’m the only freelancer) also, to this date, I’ve had one brand new client to the salon been booked in with me for a cut & blow. That’s it. I’ve had plenty of availability and told the receptionist about the availability but nothing... whereas all the other staff have had quite a few new clients as I hear them talking saying “this is a new one I’ve not done this before”
Am I overreacting to feel a bit pissed off about this? I’ve had a real knock of confidence since moving as I’ve gone from being ridiculously busy to about 50% capacity and I knew I was going to lose some clients during the move but I’m starting to doubt myself now. I’m actually wondering if I go employed with him I’ll end up making more money cause he’ll be inclined to book clients in with me.
help!!

Sorry, but I don’t think that was a great move. :(

There’s absolutely no point working self employed in a salon where the rest of the staff are employed.
You’re being used to hoover up the overflow of clients when they’re busy and he doesn’t have to pay you minimum wage when it’s half empty. He’s never going to promote you because he needs all the walk-ins to use his staff. Otherwise, what’s he paying them (minimum wage, sick pay, holiday pay etc.) for?

Even if you had a full list of regulars, I still wouldn’t work there because I think they’ll be trying to poach your clients when your back is turned.

Also, I wouldn’t go employed at that salon either because when it’s quiet, he’ll reduce your hours or let you go before he loses any of his regular staff, especially if they’ve worked for him for at least 2 years and have employment protection.

You need to find a chair in a salon where either everyone is self employed or where you’re the only hairdresser, (beauty/nail salon).

Start looking around now. Not everyone has resumed working due to Covid so there are opportunities out there.

Couldn't agree more with AcidPerm. I hate to say this but it's human nature to feather your own nest first, and that is exactly what he's doing. There's no incentive for him to send you clients if it means his staff, that he's paying for, are twiddling their thumbs. Don't get me wrong, what he's done to you is awful, he should never have taken you on in the first place but now that you know what the set up is, you need to get out.

I'm sorry......but if you are self employed, you are running your business within his salon. It's not up to him to get u clients....it's up to u! He is responsible for procuring new clients to keep his stylists' busy....u are responsible for keeping yourself busy. You set ur own hours, within the days you are renting from him, and set and take your own money. U should have ur own card machine. If clients call the salon, they should be asked who their usual stylist is, and should never be booked in with anyone else, if they are ur client. The receptionist should also never book a client in with you when there are employed stylists with free appointments. I always make this very clear if I am renting a chair out, as I find many s/e stylists are hoping to build their client base from my salon marketing.....but why would I be paying money to advertise to fill your column, when I have employed stylists who need to have their coloumns kept busy, so I can afford to pay them? Sounds like you maybe weren't aware of this, and possibly the owner didn't draw your attention to it? As AcidPerm said.....maybe it's time to think about moving, if you don't have enough clients of your own, but you could also try to do some marketing of your own first and see how that goes? Good luck. I hope you feel able to take pride in your business and push your own business. I'm sure you can do this!

Latest posts

Back