Have you ever..........

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tranquility

Reaction score
Caught a nasty virus from your clients??

As Nail techs work closely with the public I am wondering how often people get sick, by catching things from their clients?

Niki

Hand to hand contact is how most infections are passed on. It is very important to always use a hand sanitiser on both you and your client before starting a service.

I have never picked up anything other than the odd cold in 15 years of hand to hand contact contact with clients.

Same here, the odd cold now and again...................Cool blue is the best way to ensure that the only thing you might pick up from client, is a good tip lol.............
HTH

I always worry about this before doing a show (I do airbrush demos at the nail & beauty shows here in Ireland), so my other half got me some medical grade hand sanitiser that they use in hospitals and on ambulances (I suppose much the same as Cool Blue, but I keep that for my clients!) and I make everyone clean their hands first. I'm sure they must think I'm eccentric, but you just don't know where those hands have been these days! :eek:

i was in the royal navy as a medic and we all used hibiscrub to wash our hands and hibisol which is alcohol based you dont wash it off.
luckily my best mate is still in the navy and she gets this for me.
you never know when i was a medic peoples hands where far more dirtier than their feet.
i had a lady come back to me for a rebalance and i was nearly sick from the smell of her hands pooey. maybe i am exreme but i feel better using these.

It's interesting to hear this!

Doesnt it put you off doing nails, knowing people can be unhygienic??

I hope more people answer this thread its an interesting one!
Nikixxx

Geeg you would always recommend hand washing first too for yourself and the client before cool blue wouldn't you?!

i presume we all ask our clients to wash their hands before we use cool blue dont we?

Hello all...

I always instruct my client to wash their hands (antibacterial soap) and have them use a disinfected nail brush to scrub their nails before I start their service.

I always wash my hands with antibacterial soap before each client also.

When we sit at my table, then I apply Cool Blue to their hands and mine.

In my 13+ years, it's the common cold that may sometimes get to me- however I believe that is because of coughing and/or sneezing that the germ spreads....

Another tidbit----- when a client coughs or wipes their nose with a tissue :( , I politely hand them a small bottle of Cool Blue and say "Oh, here- use this- I don't want you to have to get up and wash your hands again." :)

Works every time....

I ALWAYS do (wash and cool blue for myself and my client) but I have seen salons that don't! Infact I have seen salons that do nothing as far as I could see in the way of hygiene too yukkkkkkkkkk. If a client uses a tissue, or needs the loo during a treatment, soon as they sit down I hand them the cool blue again too without fail! Infact I make sure I squirt the cool blue into their palms so I know they have used plenty lol...Done tactfully it's no prob at all ...and I would do exactly the same with myself...I know that's what I would like to see if I was the client!...and nope tranquility never caught anything from a client as far as I know...infact can't even remember catching a cold altho maybe i have

have to say i was quite horrified when i was asked why i use a sanitising gel when my client said the previous place she went to never did!!!!!! And it was also quite a popular salon.(not mentioning names.)

Surely if people have done the correct training then they would always do this!!!!! Especially when you can see the results of poor hygiene like the classic "GREEN" nail etc.

Doesn't bear thinking about.:!:

talented talons said:
have to say i was quite horrified when i was asked why i use a sanitising gel when my client said the previous place she went to never did!!!!!! And it was also quite a popular salon.(not mentioning names.)

Surely if people have done the correct training then they would always do this!!!!! Especially when you can see the results of poor hygiene like the classic "GREEN" nail etc.

Doesn't bear thinking about.:!:

Unfortunately correct training doesn't make a scrap of difference to people with a 'short cut' mentality, and a shoddy work ethic.

The cost of a full set of enhancements ... using everything including tips, which are the most expensive item, is only about 3.25 and that is using Creative products which many percieve to be the most expensive even though they are not.

So I ask, why are people so greedy in their mentality that they leave out an important part of salon hygene for the sake of what boils down to a few pennies and even more importantly ... put thier reputation in jeopardy.

A technician would save allot more on a full set by sculpting and not using tips rather than leaving out an essential part of the prep routine.

Remember, one of the things that Marian Newman is going to be highlighting to the magazine beauty editors is that when choosing a reputable salon, one of the things to look for is immaculate hygene. And this certainly includes the first (and obviously) most important step in any nail service (after a thorough client consultation) which is to wash and sanitize the hands of both you and your client.

I can never work out why any tech would leave out the hygiene side...afterall it is for their own protection too!!!

TracyUK said:
I can never work out why any tech would leave out the hygiene side...afterall it is for their own protection too!!!

How about because they are lazy, don't care, are greedy, don't know any better, are speed merchants and short cut the essentials???

There're a few ideas.

Sad but true I guess!!and bad news for all!

Just wanted to say wouldn't it be good if we could get all the badly trained nail techs together and make them do each others nails for 6 months then see if they still left out the important hygiene aspect of proper nail tech practise!!!!

I bet they would have second thoughts then..........just had to say it...sorry.:o

this is interesting as a week ago i got out of hospital after a 4 1/2 week stay
i was diagnosed as having herpes simplex Encephalitis (from the coldsore virus) and Meningitis
caught from a client!!!!
i was desparately ill and still very ill (and cant work)
and i use proper sanitation procedures
but i must have missed my client touching her face or something
so every one please be vigilant!!!!!
i dont want anyone to suffer as i have and still am suffering

the Encephalitis was described to me as a brain swelling which is equal to going 10 rounds with mike tyson

good luck to you all
janis xx

Janis, I didn't know you were ill!!! Sounds serious, hope you are recovering well. I have never caught anything from a client (a small child plenty, all that kissing LOL!), but then I am the only person I know who washes their hands before they go to the loo!

Ring me when you're better, I'll cheer you up LOL!

Best wishes
Karen

I wash my hands after going to the loo too, just wanted to make that clear LOL :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back