Have you successfully downsized?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura1201

Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of advice and encouragement really.

I’ve had my salon 6 years and have been employing staff for 4 years. Feel disheartened and defeated at the moment with the constant struggles and challenges of running a business. I’m under no illusion running a salon is easy but by this stage I thought things would be getting easier. I’ve had a member of staff off sick for a few weeks which was tough with rescheduling everybody, she’s back and another has gone off sick. This one has caused so many problems for me with lateness, absences and complaints. I’m working so many hours to cover I feel like I’m never away and when I am I do nothing but worry about work. The stress is ruining my life. I feel that financially and mentally I was better off when I worked by myself, I didn’t have anything or anybody else to worry about but me. I’m missing out on family time and I’m not my usual self these days. I thought by this stage I’d be able to take a step back but I’ve went the opposite way. I’m really considering downsizing and just being a one woman salon again. I don’t want to jump the gun as I might just be going through a phase and I don’t want to regret any decisions. Has anybody been in a similar situation, what did you do?

Sorry for the rant

I don’t know what to suggest but have always promised myself that if it gets too tough I wouldn’t hesitate to downsize to me and just me x

Thanks, I’d always thought that too but it’s a hard decision when it comes to it. I’d feel like I’d failed :(

Staff are always the biggest problem in any business . I downsized 7years ago and haven’t looked back . We actually make more money now , far less stress , no security issues and nobody trying to pinch your clients and set up on their own ! . Friends of mine have all had similar staffing problems and it’s their biggest headache too . So I don’t regret it for one minute . Good luck with whatever you decide but if you are not enjoying running your business maybe it’s time to think outside the box . You are not a failure just a good business decision and actually quite possibly a more profitable one too . X

Thank you. These are all the reasons I’m thinking of doing it! Going to do some number crunching tomorrow, I think I’ll find that financially it will make sense. I’ve spoken to another salon owner in my area who did it and she said it’s the best decision she ever made. I guess in time when I’m ready I can go bigger again if I want to and if the timing is right. X

Yes, I downsized - the main problem was 2 staff that seemed to constantly go off sick for long periods of time. Kills the profitability of the salon and your reputation.
Emotionally gutting after all my years of building a large client base but you have to put your business head on and make the decision.
I make more money working from home on my own than I did with a large salon.
I think it's even more difficult now to employ due to higher hourly rates and pension to pay.

Echo all of the above......
My 'dream' of having a staff run salon, that I could eventually 'manage' rather than work full time behind the chair is exactly that...A DREAM!
Times have changed.....freelance/mobile has taken over....and getting good staff is sooo hard.
I employ a p/t stylist, but they are not covering their wage, and i'm having to increase my hours to pay them!!! :oops:

Thanks everyone. I think I’ve made the decision, it’s just too stressful at the moment and I’ll end up running it into the ground. How did you go about downsizing? Make staff redundant etc?

Also we do have a lot of clients, too many for just me, how did you go about letting some of them down?

Also we do have a lot of clients, too many for just me, how did you go about letting some of them down?

Would letting your existing staff keep ‘their’ clients work? Obviously working around data protection & all that. Xx

Would letting your existing staff keep ‘their’ clients work? Obviously working around data protection & all that. Xx
If you have made the decision to downsize then I would advise to take some time to review your whole business . As you can’t take all of your clients look at the area that is the most profitable for you and focus on that . For us it was skin so we re branded into a Skin Clinic and dropped nails , tanning and lashes as there are so many salons in out town doing this and doing it much cheaper than we could do with all our overheads . There are 10 nail bars and hairdressers with beauty rooms in just in our one steet .
So we see less clients per day / week but much bigger and more profitable appointments . Facial courses and lots of retail . We definitely majestic more profit now with less stress and not working constant 12 hr days . Streamline , get focused and look at it from a business point of view not a lovely caring therapist who loves all her clients even if they are not always that profitable . You will loose some but gain others . Good luck xxxx

Thank you that’s great advice. I had thought about dropping a lot of the treatments and just sticking to what I do most of. Thank you I’m scared but sure I’m doing the right thing. I’ll keep thinking on it for another week or so just to be sure xx

It is hard to when you're dealing with your people and just want the best for everyone! Downsizing is not a bad decision when is right for you! I would love to help if you ever need it!

Latest posts

Back