Having tattoos in the beauty & hair industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HayleyRedhead

Reaction score
I am 19 I have 6 tats and love ink, i want to get more loads more. Is there any prejudice against people with ink in the hair and beauty industry? I have had 9/10 most salons love my ink and my style, saying I look like a individual hairstylist.

What's your view on heavily inked hair stylists or beauticians? Is it tacky, unprofessional or special and unique? As a employer what's your views?

I am 19 I have 6 tats and love ink, i want to get more loads more. Is there any prejudice against people with ink in the hair and beauty industry? I have had 9/10 most salons love my ink and my style, saying I look like a individual hairstylist.

What's your view on heavily inked hair stylists or beauticians? Is it tacky, unprofessional or special and unique? As a employer what's your views?

Honest a answer it depends what and where they are.
You get some amazing tattoos that are art but then you get some that are hideous squiggles

But no if that was your style and you could do your job well and you were clean and tidy I wouldn't have a problem, you'd probably get a similar styled clientele.

Now the mum in me, just remember your "tats" maybe on trend and current just now but in 50yrs time they will be wrinkly so keep your face tat free lol x

Many employers are not keen on tattoos. I think they are horrible, but no doubt I will get the usual "how DARE you its art! Im a individual with these!, I have my son and daughter name "jayden and princess" so its special (like you would ever forget your kids name), the angel wings and the class register of names you see on family men in less salubrious holiday destinations. Not prejudice just don't like them and I think I should be entitled to a view.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

With tattoos getting more exposure now compared to decades ago, and so many people having them on hard to conceal places, the line between whether or not tattoos are accepted in the workplace is still undefined. The hair, beauty, and nail industry is no different. Some employers don't see it as a problem, and some would find it unacceptable and expect you to cover them up. The salon's image and targeted demographic would also play a role on an employer's decision of whether or not exposed tattoos are ok. If they are trying to achieve a pristine, professional image, than most likely they will look down on things like unnaturally coloured hair, facial piercings, and tattoos. Edgy, alternative salons might be more accepting considering they're trying to be unique.

My personal view, I'm quite judgemental about ink. I feel the type of ink a person has says a bit about them. I think I've seen enough infinity signs, stars, dream catchers, feathers, angel wings, and tribals, to say majority of people who think they're being unique really aren't, and they've wasted their skin and money getting a carbon copy of something thousands of people already had. It's just not very unique or special at that point. Don't get me wrong. I love tattoos. I have a few, and I've been planning to get a piece done for awhile now. But I personally feel that unless my career involved being around only an alternative crowd, I would only pick tasteful positions to place mine in case I have a gig where I have to look polished. I may not see a problem with it, but whoever's in charge might. It's just something to consider if you're not your own boss or are working within someone else's business.

I like tattoos personally and don't mind them at all.
If a therapist or stylist had tattoos I wouldn't be sitting there thinking ' that's horrible' I would be looking too see what the tattoo was because I'm interested.

If they were visible I'd ask them to be covered up but then I hate tattoos (my girls have them but in areas covered by thier uniform and I keep telling them to think of tattoos like clothes, you may like a design on a Tshirt or the cut of it but will you really love that Tshirt and be wearing it in 10/20 years time if you had a choice?!!) and a lot of my clientele are mature ladies who lunch. I think tattoos on show don't portray the image I want for my salon.

I love tattoos and my hsirdresser is full of them aslong as people are good at what they do tattoos or appearance shouldnt be a problem but I know some employers are syrict with this and think it looks unprofessional, if I was an employer I would focus on how well they could do the job rather than how many tattoos they have

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree that it can be very off putting too some ladies, I know people in their 60's that loathe tattoos and ladies in their 60's that have tattoos, its all down too personal opinion and everyone is entitled too their opinion. Some people lose a loved one and get a tattoo too remember them and some people get tattoos because they like and enjoy them, everyone can do as they please its their lives and bodies but they have too realise that it can and may reflect negatively in their career if they find an employer that doesn't share their love of tattoos.
I have 2 small tattoos which can be covered, I have a friend with 2 big tattoos on each side of his neck which he deeply regrets and will be having them removed.
Another opinion which some may not agree with is that tattoos are more acceptable in hairdressing than beauty.
If I were told by an employer too cover up my tattoos I would be fine and not annoyed in the slightest :)

I dont mind them but i dont have any. I would expect my staff to cover their ink if they worked for me as ink on show is not an image i would want to portray to my clients, im very much of the polished variety and so are my clients.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I have 3. 2 that can be covered up and then one on the side of my hand. I got to the interview for doing beauty on a cruise ship and got turned down because of my tattoo. They said apart from that I would of got the job no problem x

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

IMO just because a person has a tattoo does not stop them from the doing the job they are qualified in!
I have 12 tattoos and plan on getting more. Places are a lot more acceptable of people choices now. Don't be put off on someone's opinion of tattoo's, everyone has one and not everyone is right. Each to their own x

IMO just because a person has a tattoo does not stop them from the doing the job they are qualified in!
I have 12 tattoos and plan on getting more. Places are a lot more acceptable of people choices now. Don't be put off on someone's opinion of tattoo's, everyone has one and not everyone is right. Each to their own x

Just because people have different opinon on tattoos to doest mean your right and they are wrong!

TBH we live in a world where nearly every one has a tattoo of some sort, whether its visible or not. I love ink, I have a few myself but most are hidden by my clothes, but if my hairdresser or beautician had ink, it would be a conversation starter for me as I love talking about it, and i love people with sleeves, even though i'm not brave enough to do it myself I am in awe of people that do!

This is the thing to keep in mind when you plan on being a staff member of someone else's salon, representing their image- will you be there til your retirement, and will the tats you have where you have them be acceptable by all? I can see so far employers and places who don't for the very reason I've posted previously- it doesn't fit the image they're trying to portray for the salon, or there are clients who are quite prejudice of them. We may feel that our skills should be enough to have our tats overlooked, but when it comes to who's recruiting and writing the cheques, it's really up to them. True, more people and places are accepting them, but it's not enough to go crazy and become the lizard man just yet. :lol:

I have 6 tats. Only 3 are visible and 2 of those are on my feet so can be covered up. I've always had compliments on the one on my wrist from clients. But my last employers stipulated that if we wanted to have any visible tattoos we had to ask their permission and show them the design. It was like asking permission from your mum lol but I respected what they said as at the end of the day it was their salon not mine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just because people have different opinon on tattoos to doest mean your right and they are wrong!

I said every one has an opinion and not every is right. No where did I say because I have tattoos I'm right and everyone is wrong!!

I only have 2 tattoos with only one on show but I would have more and many clients have commented on it (many people who I wouldn't expect!) in my opinion I wouldn't have a problem with a hairstylist or therapist with tattoos although I think there are some people who would but they would be in the minority. Xx

It's an interesting debate, as so many people have mixed views. I have 3, all are small and generally hidden, with the exception of the tiny pentacle on my arm, near my hand, which is easily covered with make up if needed, though it's the size of a 5p coin. I don't think I'll ever have a problem with mine. I also have facial piercings, I've removed my septum ring for ever job interview I've ever been to in the 14 years I've had it, then inquired after I've been offered a position as to whether it is acceptable or not. Almost every place (in different industries) has asked me not to wear it. My lower lip stud I've always left in (it's very awkward to change) and it's not presented a problem.

My friend has recently qualified as a massage therapist. She intends to work self employed from home and mobile, but if she ever went for a salon job I'd worry. She has full sleeves on both arms and snake bite piercings. It suits her, but I don't personally think it looks professional. Our dream is to actually open our own rock and roll themed alternative salon one day, so she'd def look the part then! I worry in the meantime that she might struggle though and I don't want anyone judging my friend, but I'm sure it's bound to happen. Her ex was a tattoo artist, hence the rather intensive art.

Personally I love tattoos, I love the artwork that goes into them and some are amazing! Saying that you do get some that are awful and you'd think why would you have that? But if that's what the person wants and likes then fair enough :) unfortunately there is a stigma attached with them and its a shame and quite narrow minded because it doesn't change the job you do or what you're qualified in :) I have 3, all can be hidden if I decide in 10 years I don't like them, I have a daisy chain around my ankle and scattered onto my foot, stars going up my back and a swallow on the back of my neck :) I'd love more but it's just funding them! 💙

I don't care if people have them but wouldn't like to them to be visible! But then it depends on what it is, I've seen so many tacky ones on the inside of wrists like dice..etc. It just isn't the image I would want to portray to my clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back