Having Trouble Letting Go!!! Help Pls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barby

Reaction score
I have really long wavy dark brown hair...but i have letting go issues. I really want a new style, but i dont want any regrets. My hair goes all the way to my bottom...can someone suggest a good style for me? if u like i will post a picture of how long my hair is just ask for it..i do want to cut it... i just want it to look great!

I have really long wavy dark brown hair...but i have letting go issues. I really want a new style, but i dont want any regrets. My hair goes all the way to my bottom...can someone suggest a good style for me? if u like i will post a picture of how long my hair is just ask for it..i do want to cut it... i just want it to look great!

A picture would be good because we could see what shape face you have and what style you may suit ect :hug:

Change is hard..50% of the time, those who do drastic changes don't like it, 50% love it. You have to be sure in your head that you are sick and tired of the long hair.
Ask yourself why do you want to hold on to it?
Does it make you feel younger and pretty?
By keeping it, do you feel like you haven't aged any since you have had it?

Do you think others won't like you cause you cut it off ?

Do you think that maybe you won't look good in a shorter hair style?

Cutting it doesn't have to be drastic.. 3 inches..then a month later another 3 inches..ease into it.

Change is hard..50% of the time, those who do drastic changes don't like it, 50% love it. You have to be sure in your head that you are sick and tired of the long hair.
Ask yourself why do you want to hold on to it?
Does it make you feel younger and pretty?
By keeping it, do you feel like you haven't aged any since you have had it?

Do you think others won't like you cause you cut it off ?

Do you think that maybe you won't look good in a shorter hair style?

Cutting it doesn't have to be drastic.. 3 inches..then a month later another 3 inches..ease into it.

I agree, it can be so hard for clients when they want a change. If mine are not 100% for a change then I tell them not to go for it as they generally want it for the wrong reasons. If they are desperate for a change i normally encourage them to ease into it.

I normally suggest finding a picture of the look they want and carrying it around in their purse/bag for awhile. If in a months time they still like it, then go for it. if not, its not the style for them. It hasnt failed me yet! :)

Good luck on finding the right style for you.

Those geeks who have met me will think of me with hair like yours, but it is no more:twisted:
I had long layers cut in from the top of my shoulders, I did this so that I could change how my hair shaped my face without loosing all that length, this wasn't for my benefit it was to get my other half used to it:lol: and then about 6 months later I had it cut of to my shoulder blades, finally took the plunge on September the 4th, all my hair can now hide under my crash helmet. :green: I love it, its quick to wash, takes minutes to dry and doesn't make me think I'm going to faint in hot weather:rolleyes:
But it was the layers that showed me I would suit a short style whilst still giving me the option of tying it back or up as I wanted.

Hi again
I agree with all the others I honestly don't think you are ready to have your hair cut just yet as you seem to be missing it already and thats just with thinking about it :)

It is best to wait until you're really sure you want it done ,
and in the meantime look out for different styles you like.
The reason I say this is your still in the thinking about it stage.
So I would say forget about it for now,
and enjoy your lovely long hair once again ( it must have taken ages to grow )
You can always put it up or in a pony tail or plait it if you get fed up :hug:

Hi, sorry to barge in, I'm not a hair geek but I've always had long hair and am also very attached to it!

Until I was about 17, it was all one length, not quite to my bottom but very near. I then had it chopped to my bra-strap with loads of layers, and cried for a week.:eek:

So, I grew it again, and by the time I was 19 it was again really long, one length, with a bit of feathering around the front.

Then a couple of years later I found a wonderful hairdresser. I wanted a fringe and layers, but she said it would be too drastic, so over the course of months she cut my hair bit by bit, I had a long sweeping fringe and a few layers.... then a shorter fringe and shorter layers.... Then a full block fringe.....

This progressed over years until now, I have long hair about to my waist, loads of long layers, I've just grown out my fringe etc. I havent really lost much length, just a lot of bulk!

It sort of looks like a V shape at the back, instead of being long all the way round. I also have it coloured regularly, and I like to try different things (but always keeping the blonde!) so I feel a bit more adventurous!

And the best thing is, with all the layers, as my hair is wavy, I can scrunch it and have big loose curls, or straighten it!

Anyway, alot of rambling there, but just wanted to show you that you can have a new style without losing too much length. Find someone you really trust to do it.

Good luck :hug:

HI Carlabarbie
This sounds lovely,
I love wavy or curly hair,
and by doing it gradually like you have is far better than diving in and regretting it all later.
Colour and layers is another good way to go for a change on long hair rather than getting it all cut off . :)

HI Carlabarbie
This sounds lovely,
I love wavy or curly hair,
and by doing it gradually like you have is far better than diving in and regretting it all later.
Colour and layers is another good way to go for a change on long hair rather than getting it all cut off . :)

Ahhh thank you! :hug:

thanks everyone!!! i love this website!XD.....anyways, i have realized that i DO miss my hair already, and its still here!!! its pathetic lol!! im hispanic, so when you are little, the picture of beauty is long wavy hair, and i guess that is what inspired me to let it grow out...i also realized that just recently i have learned to manage it so it is shiny and frizz free, i just had done it sooo many times as a routine, i hadnt realized that id been doing it!!! Btw, i already have layers, but thank you for the suggestions!!! you GIRLS rock!!!!

:!: IM A PROFESSIONAL HAIRDRESSER AND AS SUCH I WOULD :eek: ADVICE YOU TO HAVE YOUR HAIR CUT IN STAGES TAKING IT SHORTER AS YOU GO :cry: BECAUSE IT CAN BE A SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM GOING FROM LONG TO SHORT IN ONE STEP STYLES MAY BE LAYERS LENGTH MAYBE TO BELOW THE SHOULDERS CAN YOU SEND ME A PIC TO deehair@googlemail.com:rolleyes::hug::idea:

Latest posts

Back