HD Brows new brand guidelines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahrose14

Reaction score
has anyone else read the new guidelines from hd brows. We now have to do a refresher course once a year and spend at least £150 every 3 months in order to stay on the salon finder. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

They're being a bunch of douche bags.

I would not let a company dictate like that to me :-( glad I went with 'BDB' billion dollar brows

Misslease I think exactly the same im actually in shock! Its not even like I can just pop down my local training centre I have to go all the way to Milton Keynes so the course may only be £95+vat but with transport costs, hotel prices and time off work it will cost £100's.

Also they're going to be retailing on the high street and QVC, so effectively robbing us of retail opportunities!

In all seriousness, I think that allowing Qvc to become stockists could work both ways. Yes it may have an effect on our retail sales, but could also bring more clients through the door through brand awareness.

I believe they based the minimum spend on what you would need to order if you did 5 treatments per week. Which isn't so bad, and from their point of view it stops therapists training with them, and then purchasing cheaper products else where.

The refresher training 'demand' was what got my goat. At £95+ Vat not taking into account loss of earnings for a day, travel expense etc etc seems very unreasonable. We have spent ALOT of money on the initial training. I was lucky enough to get my first refresher training included in the initial price. But to be quite honest, it was pretty useless. The new make up range had just been released, and all the new pencils were in circulation. The trainers didn't have a clue how to use them, and were 'playing' around with them with the students. Not very professional. In my opinion, If they want us to do a yearly refresher it should be complimentary. We spend enough money with them as it is. I think they're getting a little to big for their boots and starting to alienate everyone. The cost of the make up course was ridicules.

QVC im not so concerned about but premier retailers which I assume will be debenhams, house of Fraser, boots etc has got me a bit annoyed as no doubt they'll do what the hd consumer shop does and put on offers us small retailers cant compete with.

I get that the cost is only for 5 treatments a week but to be honest the fact its been implimented at all bothers me as its just yet another change. HD just isn't the company I signed up for I feel like its a dictatorship, constant changes that do not benefit the therapist but we just have to shut up and put up with it!

Can I ask a slightly off topic question? How many treatments did it take you to really get your confidence up? I've only been trained for a couple of months and came away really happy with it but I've jut done a HD tonight and it's knocked my confidence a bit as I just couldn't get them "right" I felt like the whole treatment took me too long and I couldn't get my angles right for the threading and blah! Just blah!

Sweet Squared also have a spend requirement to be in their salon finder.

Companies only want current salons being featured, so some spend should be required.

I'm more than happy to refresh my skills and keep up to date with new techniques and products.
To be the best you have to be on top of your game.

HD Brows is a global brand name and you have to invest in top training which has to, and does change to keep up

If you think of the minimum spend, that's roughly one of each colour for pencil, pallet and brow fix - That's without professional products.
If you look at the profit from retailing, then the £150 isn't much at all.

Sorry just need to jump in here, S2 "Spend" requirement is no way the same as HD's £150 to stay on the salon locator you just have to purchase any CND Shellac item every 60 days. It shows that you are a salon doing enough regular CND Shellac treatments.

Regarding HDBrows, I feel extremely disappointed with them. Greed comes to mind.
I did the training last year and still haven't come close to earning back even a fifth of what it cost. And now I have been informed that the free refresher course I got when I booked has now expired (was told needed a portfolio of around 20 sets before booking it, I still haven't done 20 sets. I don't even do 5 treatments a month let alone 5 a week) never mind all the cost of stocking the new rebranded products. They just seem to be out for what they can get out of us loyal customers who have already forked out a small fortune with them.
I am totally jaded with them now.
Not impressed at all.

Sorry just need to jump in here, S2 "Spend" requirement is no way the same as HD's £150 to stay on the salon locator you just have to purchase any CND Shellac item every 60 days. It shows that you are a salon doing enough regular CND Shellac treatments.

Regarding HDBrows, I feel extremely disappointed with them. Greed comes to mind.
I did the training last year and still haven't come close to earning back even a fifth of what it cost. And now I have been informed that the free refresher course I got when I booked has now expired (was told needed a portfolio of around 20 sets before booking it, I still haven't done 20 sets. I don't even do 5 treatments a month let alone 5 a week) never mind all the cost of stocking the new rebranded products. They just seem to be out for what they can get out of us loyal customers who have already forked out a small fortune with them.
I am totally jaded with them now.
Not impressed at all.

It's expensive to train, perhaps you could call them and tell them your issues, I'm sure they would help you out. There are clients out there that want HD Brows and the potential to earn is huge!

I'm more than happy to refresh my skills and keep up to date with new techniques and products.
To be the best you have to be on top of your game.

HD Brows is a global brand name and you have to invest in top training which has to, and does change to keep up

That's great that your happy to go on a refresher yearly but would you be happy if every single company you've trained with said the same thing? If that was the case my yearly training fees would run in to thousands without ever adding a new treatment.

i know we can always learn more but come on learning the same treatment every year (its still the same 7 step treatment) is only beneficial to the company doing the training. If they had local training centres i'd be more inclined to just bite my tongue and go along with it but i have to travel two hundred odd miles, pay for accomodation and take time off work.

You also mentioned retail products in relation to the minimum spend but once the "premium retailers" take on HD Brows your retail sales will drop its inevitable.

Also it wasn't that long ago that we were given 6 months to rebrand our salons at our expense as they changed the logo and images. I've still not got over that tbh.

I just want to add HD Brows are a national brand not a global one. They could do with taking a leaf out of CND's book who became a global brand without going into premium retailers, setting up their own online shop and undercutting therapists, and don't force me to train in the same treatment each year!

Spending £120 a year to refresh my skills is £10 per month!
Compared to the amount of clients that come through the door and spend £25 in 40 minutes (before buying retail) is not much at all.
I trained 18 months ago and went to a refresher class yesterday, and apart from having a recap, the products have changed and the actual finishing has totally changed! My brows are much better so surley that will keep repeat business.
Sticking to what we learn and not updating will only leave us behind and clients will go to the lady down the road who's much much better.

IF they start to sell, Debenhams and the like doesn't worry me. It creates more brand awareness hence more clients wanting HD Brows who will more than likely buy from where they had they're brows done. Also there's postage costs online so it's cheaper to buy from us anyway 👍

I think it's absolutely disgusting! I'm livid!
Who does Nilam think she is?! She's getting to big for her boots.
The refresher day will cost me in takings over £500 let alone the travelling and cost of the course! I do on average the one a day that they say and have been doing Hd for 2years now.
Ok I understand they want everyone to be perfect but let's face it, it's only one day. They're not monitoring us for the other 364 days, where some standards can and will drop.
I will express my opinion to them and no doubt have a face like a slapped arse when I'm on this course. And god help the eyebrow queen if I see her on the day!
I seriously would consider not carrying out the treatment but I feel I haven't made my money back on the first expensive course! I'll have to have a think........

I was thinking about training with them but this has totally put me off. The initial start up was already massively over priced. Plus the seven steps are nothing that a level 2 trained therapist can't already do.
All of the money seems to be going into the branding, plus they have a lot of competition to deal with now who offer a similar service but a lot cheaper. I know usually you get what you pay for but I'm not convinced this is always case with brows.
I wonder if they are losing money due to other companies offering brows and this is their way of trying to claw some back.
Trouble is, if you're already with them they have you to ransom due to the money you've already spent.,xxx

has anyone else read the new guidelines from hd brows. We now have to do a refresher course once a year and spend at least £150 every 3 months in order to stay on the salon finder. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I'm glad you started this thread and typical me I went straight to the magazine and left the T&C's aside thinking oh I'll look at them later!!!

I don't spend £150 every 3 months :( Up until recently I've only done beauty part time so hopefully I'll get busier and maybe I will need to spend more. But being a home salon I really rely on the salon finder for people to find me. I do have a website etc but it's drummed into people that if a salon isn't on the finder then to be wary so most people go straight to there to look for a stylist.

I don't retail because often HD Brows do half price special offers and such that clients can buy online and I simply cannot compete with that.

I have emailed HD Brows with my concerns and hopefully will receive a decent reply.

Refresher course is a great idea but perhaps it could be free - or you get the money you've spent in it back in products ;) It's a long day out - often with accommodation too - so that's more money, and a loss of earnings :(

Interested to hear what other, particularly home salons/mobile therapists think xx

At the moment I don't have enough HD clients to spend that amount on topping my kit up. I'm all for salon locators but wish they had not put a monetary amount on it just as long as you order within a certain time (like s2) Also thought with your initial training you got a one day refresher included.
Vicki x
Sent from my LG-D802 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was meant to be doing the course in the next few months... think I'll pass and take my money elsewhere...

Companies only want current salons being featured, so some spend should be required.

To stay on S2 salon locator you have to purchase a Shellac product, every 60 days. So if you where purchasing a Shellac colour with delivery, every 60 days that works out at just under £155 per year. So really, there is no difference than your purchasing £150 worth of products really is it?

Latest posts

Back