HD eyebrow claim

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor

Reaction score
Hi, first post on here so please bare with me lol.

I have owned a large salon for over 12 years, only employed level 3 qualified beauty therapists, and not once have I had any complaints, problems or claims against my company.
Problem....
We have a customer who has had HD eyebrows done, and two weeks later we have a letter from solicitors asking us to send a copy of our insurance to proceed with an injury claim !!

Now, we always have, always will and DID do test patches for HD brows and all tinting, at least 24 hours before any treatment. We always write on record cards test patch complete and ok. We use a computer system, appointment book and card method to record everything.
We are probably the most professional salon in the area, we trained environmental health department and training standards on tanning 0.3 regulations, we were the first salon in our county to pass these regulations. We changed our tanning age rules from 16 to 18 years of age, a year before we needed to.
We train all our staff and pay for them to attend courses on new methods and products, then we let them practice on friends and relatives free for 6/8 weeks until we feel they are fully ready to treat paying customers.

We have never seen or heard from this customer at all since the treatment, no phone call, not seen any injury we may or may not have caused, so we have no way of knowing what is wrong or what may have happened.

Has anyone else had this issue ?.
What was the outcome if so ?.

We are very conscious of health and safety, have a 100% satisfaction rate with not one problem from any treatment in over 12 years.
Customer SHOULD have contacted us as soon as she had a problem !, but she went straight to her solicitors. Very unfair.

Personally I wouldn't reply as it sounds like a scam. Contact your insurance company yourself for thier advice. Good luck let us know the outcome.

Do you have complaints procedure?

Can this person prove that whatever the injury is was caused by yourselves?

They need to provide comprehensive details of where, when, what happened.

I used to deal with similar things in my past life I would string it out as long as I could asking for details etc as every time the solicitor needs to write to you the other party is charged.

Never had this happen, I'm sorry your going through this :(

Did the letter state why she was doing a claim? What went wrong?

The customer has had waxing done by us many times, her daughter got HD eyebrows done by us and loved them, so this customer wanted hers doing. We did a test patch, then when she came back for her appointment two days later, our assistant manager who has been with us over 10years asked if she had any reaction, customer said no, everything was fine. Staff carried out treatment using the same products we have always used in the same manner. We sterilised all tools as we always do using barbicide.
Customer was very pleased with the results, and took a loyalty card with intention of getting treatment done again.
Two weeks later, we get solicitor letter asking for copy of insurance. We contacted insurance who sent us forms and asked for all infomation we could provide. I sent copy of insurance to her solicitor and they sent us back a copy of her claim, which said...
Test patch was not done. On night of treatment she had itchy eyes, next day she couldn't see and she has taken two days off work and not left the house. Her eye brows blistered and got an infection.
Again, we have not seen her eyebrows or spoke to her at all. She has not contacted us, and we always do a test patch, it was on her card, I looked before I asked the staff

Can you not send a copy of the card?

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Was the card signed by her at the time?

If not, then it could be claimed that the card was filled in subsequent to the appointment.

Stick to your guns! HD test patch is a self adhesive one the client has to take responsibility for.

However, I am medical and allergic reactions can happen days afterwards, I would ask for a copy of her GP consultation, as if it was that bad she would have sought medical attention?

Also it is unlikely she has any lasting damage, definitely a chancer.

You have done everything reasonable to avoid a reaction, sometimes these things happen but I doubt there is any legal recourse for this.

If she lost days off work I would also be askng for a letter from her employer confirming is and her reason.

As they are requesting information from you, you have a right to defend yourself having all necessary information from her.

No case to answer!

Perhaps get in touch with HD I bet they have had this happen before they may give you some good advice :)

They have to prove (on the balance of probability) that your negligence caused her pain & suffering.

As you did do a patch test, they're on a hiding to nothing.
Definitely trying it on so just let your insurer deal with them.

As a caveat, I would add is that Insurers hate risking large legal bills so often they'll make an offer to settle even when the other party has a weak case.
Then they increase your premiums. :rolleyes:

Just keep stating that your records show you completed a patch test and the client confirmed there was no adverse reaction.

Thank you for all your advise, I will stick to my guns as I know how professional my salon and business is, certainly compared to many others in my area that have no record cards and admit to not doing test patches.
We have over 10'000 clients on our database, we can provide 100's of references from customers proving we always insist on test patch being done, and can even prove we turn customers away if they ask for treatment same day and don't want or have time for test patch.
The question of customers signing for test patch ??, no, it's something we have never done. We get them to sign for treatment, but every client who gets a test patch done.. We alway write on the top of there card 'test patch done, OK'. So we can see at a glance when they next book in.
We have changed this and now insist it is signed for, I advice everyone to do the same.

Wife is really worried about our reputation and what will happen. Personally, I kinda feel like giving up and selling business. We have strived for many years to be one of the best salons around, and this just makes us feel sick, sounds daft I know, but the industry is hard at times, something like this just makes me want to leave it.

This is a knee jerk reaction. It all just feels so personal when it's your business.

See how it all pans out and hand it over to your insurance company to deal with. Get on with your day to day if you can.

I hate people like this. I hate that they don't think of the consequences of them making a quick buck and the effects their actions can have on a business.

If you decide in a few weeks to jack it all in, then fair enough, but don't do anything rash. Think of all those happy clients.

I just wish you the best of luck.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

By all means give the solicitors details of your insurance company, but don't enter into discussions with them, or send proof of patch test.
My insurers ( through BABTAC ) have specific guidence notes on what to do in the event of a claim ( or even chance of a claim). One of their most important points is NOT to enter into discussions with claimants or their solicitors. That is their job, as anything you say or do can have legal ramifications.
Talk to your insurers!

Totally agree with Hazel. Excellent advice. Do not do anything apart from speak to your insurer. Best of luck!

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of years ago. Client went onto have a tint reaction after their initial hd brows treatment!
Although it was very stressful at the time, and their solicitor strung it out for ages, asking loads of questions trying to find something to say I was negligent in some way. The matter was eventually dropped.
My insurance company and hd brows gave me awesome support.
From what you have said, I think you'll be fine.
Insurance companies deal with this kind of thing all the time.
Try not to worry unnecessarily x

I would point out that this is the time you find out how good your insurance company are. The time that you're glad you didn't necessarily go for the cheapest. We really only know how good they are for us, when something like this happens x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree with all above its awful when that one client makes you feel like this. You can have 99 clients all so happy with thier treatments and just one like this to spoil how you feel.

Chin up I wouldn't take any further bookings from this person or her daughter.

Latest posts

Back