Head feeling tight after highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey xox

Reaction score
I did a clients first ever colour yesterday and she has really long hair almost 2/3 down her back, she said today her root area feels tight (bit like if you’ve had hair scraped back into tight ponytail all day)
No visible redness or itching I saw no broken skin or bleeding from the highlights, has anyone come across this before because in all my 20 years hairdressing I haven’t?! We did a skin test before and that was fine too??

I did a clients first ever colour yesterday and she has really long hair almost 2/3 down her back, she said today her root area feels tight (bit like if you’ve had hair scraped back into tight ponytail all day)
No visible redness or itching I saw no broken skin or bleeding from the highlights, has anyone come across this before because in all my 20 years hairdressing I haven’t?! We did a skin test before and that was fine too??
Did you skin test with the same product?
Just thinking, if you did a mix of tint, and some bleach. It could be the bleach that's caused it - some people are sensitive to persulfates and bleach has a higher quantity than tint.

I test with Koleston, wasn’t the same number she ended up using, as we did the consult & skin test then chose colours, but was same brand an no high-lift or bleach, I did use 12% and tested with 6% but like I said I saw no bleeding ?? She said she’s ok but think I’m just worrying?

I test with Koleston, wasn’t the same number she ended up using, as we did the consult & skin test then chose colours, but was same brand an no high-lift or bleach, I did use 12% and tested with 6% but like I said I saw no bleeding ?? She said she’s ok but think I’m just worrying?
The only thing I can think of then is that maybe she's shown sensitivity to 12%. Some people's scalp can't tolerate it. I know you said it wasn't applied to the scalp but obviously it still touches the scalp initially when rinsing.

I’m sure after washing her hair again her scalp will feel more settled.
Maybe offer her. Complimentary conditioner blowdry service for peace of mind and client happiness.

Probably just sensitive from all the foils/ combing I'm she's new to colour. I wouldn't offer any complimentary services that could be seen as admission of fault.

Any concerns direct client to GP, never try and diagnose any medical problem.

Just a thought - if I tie my hair up in a pony one day and let it down the next my scalp feels different because of the weight of my hair pulling in a different direction similar feeling to when some people get braids or hair extensions. Maybe as @adamlea87 said the weight of her hair (being so long) after pulling combing into foils then blow drying and having chemical treatment which can be drying on a sensitive scalp just made it feel different….? If there’s no redness/visible effects or ‘hot’ sensation I can’t see it being alergic reaction to products. Obvs not 100% but the only customer I’ve had with any reaction was with direct skin application. Maybe next time try tepid rinse first to cool scalp and close open pores before taking foils out as a precaution.
One of my assistants once used a peppermint hair treat after rather hot rinse when washing a clients colour off which didn’t go down well. Can be a number of little things all together.

Latest posts

Back