Head lice treatment and colouring, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twixabix

Reaction score
I’ve got a client this morning who is just called me to say she’s just put some lotion on her hair and combed through and rinsed it because she had headlice from her children. I’m supposed to be doing highlights bleach highlights is it going to react to the lice treatment I’ve never had this problem before. Please can someone help

Noooo!
Head lice are highly infectious and could shut the salon down through bad publicity if a subsequent client were to catch them from your salon.

It’s a contra-indication and you can’t do her hair until the lice infestation is completely gone, so you’re looking at at an absolute minimum of 2 weeks, probably longer, to ensure all the eggs and larvae are killed.

Lots of parents are blasé about them but as a hairdresser, it’s your job to be well informed. You need to contact her ASAP and postpone her appointment.

Do you remember your level 2 training and one of the first things you’re taught is that whilst you’re ‘playing’ with the hair during the consultation, you’re actually checking for things like lice etc. We all found that hilarious until we understood it better. :eek:

Do you remember your level 2 training and one of the first things you’re taught is that whilst you’re ‘playing’ with the hair during the consultation, you’re actually checking for things like lice etc. We all found that hilarious until we understood it better. :eek:

She actually hasn’t got anything in her hair she didn’t think she had but because her children did she put it on her hair to be on the safe side. I’ve been through it, I can’t see anything in there so I’m happy to colour it my issue is will the chemical react with bleach as I’m doing hi lights [emoji53]

No idea to be honest and if you rang the manufacturers helpline, they probably advise against it.
I think you should do an incompatibility test at the very least.

Just make sure she shampoos it a few times before you hi light it , as long as there’s no lotion remaining on the hair it should be ok

Just make sure she shampoos it a few times before you hi light it , as long as there’s no lotion remaining on the hair it should be ok

Would you really be willing to take the risk? Assuming you were the hairdresser and went ahead with a chemical service on that basis and there was a reaction, do you think your insurance will cover you?

I personally would , I’ve been hairdressing for 30 years and as far as I’m aware there are no contradiction to hair that has previously been treated with head lice lotions , maybe she should leave it a week or so then you can be fully confident there will be no residue

I personally would , I’ve been hairdressing for 30 years and as far as I’m aware there are no contradiction to hair that has previously been treated with head lice lotions , maybe she should leave it a week or so then you can be fully confident there will be no residue

So I did it and it was fine. I cut a small piece of her hair off and put bleach with 40vol on it and it was fine after 20mins so I did it, used olaplex as well. She was desperate as she was going on holiday but I only did the top for quickness. She has her own olaplex at home as well.

Latest posts

Back